Unfair

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
bender

Unfair

Post by bender »

I think that poll shows how ignorant many Mozilla users can be.

Beonex is the best Mozilla distribution there is.

I think most people judge Beonex by its website (which truly is not a masterpiece).

Beonex Communicator is based on the very stable Mozilla 1.0.1 and adds very nice features from the trunk such as html-to-plaintext and also adds a Beonex-only feature (http-referer options).

So why is Beonex the worst distribution? It doesn't add any bloat like Netscape does.

Maybe someone who voted vor it to be the worst distribution can shed some light on this...
pepp5

html-to-plaintext ?

Post by pepp5 »

Please explain what the html-to-plaintext feature is about in Beonex? (Email or browser?) Thanks.
bender

Re: html-to-plaintext ?

Post by bender »

pepp5 wrote:Please explain what the html-to-plaintext feature is about in Beonex? (Email or browser?) Thanks.

See http://www.beonex.com/communicator/doc/ ... dyoptions/
jparsons

Re: Beonex

Post by jparsons »

I've played with Beonex, and it looks pretty good to me. I'd like to know why it was voted down, too.
MozSaysAloha

Post by MozSaysAloha »

I think the guy who is behind Beonex is doing an honest, sincere job bringing Mozilla to the masses without making it a big advert for AOhell. Let's give him a chance.
sisyphus88

Post by sisyphus88 »

I'm a longtime NS user... and now I'm only using Beonex.... it's fast, stable, and has the BEST privacy controls of any browser that I am familiar with. Their website leaves a lot to be desired and their technical support sucks, but the browser is first rate. Give it a try.... I've tested NS 7.01 streamline (from Silly Dog 701) and I like it, too, but Beonex has a strong privacy focus not found elsewhere.

p.s. I just joined this group.... or I would have commented earlier....

Sisyphus
TribalistUKDJ

Post by TribalistUKDJ »

have you seen the size of it to download though? *shudders*
why was TED so SUPER anyway?
kirkland1244

Post by kirkland1244 »

What does Beonix look like?
frankzen

Post by frankzen »

kirkland1244 wrote:What does Beonix look like?

Like Mozilla :wink:
Lost User 2649

Post by Lost User 2649 »

Just "stumbled in here! So, why is Beonix better than Phoenix? A screenie wouldn't hurt. Advertizing is everything!! Better advertizing and better explanations might entice more users. More users are more votes.

1. Why is it 10 Megs and Phoenix 6.3 Megs. Mozilla's new alpha is 11 Megs.
2. E-mail and News proggies add bloat. Most people that do the IE alternatives have those. Google is an awesome News reader. Calypso does all the mail anyone could want.
3. The Home page does need help but so does Phoenix :)
4. Is it faster than Phoenix?

Please give me one good reason to try it!

Thanks for the info and good Luck!
Decon
nilson

Post by nilson »

Well, I guess a good reason would be for the heck of it... You cant know how good something is until you try it. I like it. They do focus on privacy, and Beonex is very stable. One reason that it is 10 megs is that it is based on mozilla, not phoenix. Phoenix is really just based on gecko itself, with a totally different frontend, which happens to be smaller than mozilla/netscape's.
jparsons

Post by jparsons »

Calypso requires Internet Explorer to view or compose HTML emails. If your goal is to stay away from IE, and you want those HTML emails, than Mozilla/Netscape/Beonex is a good way to go.
The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought.
~Sam Adams
Allenz

Re: Unfair

Post by Allenz »

bender wrote:Beonex Communicator is based on the very stable Mozilla 1.0.1

This is one reason I don't try it. Since Mozilla claims 1.2.1 as its latest stable release, I believe there must be some improvements on the basic rendering engine since 1.0.1.
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

Maybe it's just because of a lack of awareness about Beonex. I use Phoenix all the time and frequently visit their forums. Even though I had heard of it as a sort of far off distant distro before I had never paid much attention to it. I am downloading Beonex now.
nilson

Re: Unfair

Post by nilson »

Allenz wrote:
bender wrote:Beonex Communicator is based on the very stable Mozilla 1.0.1

This is one reason I don't try it. Since Mozilla claims 1.2.1 as its latest stable release, I believe there must be some improvements on the basic rendering engine since 1.0.1.

They _call_ 1.2.1 the latest stable release, but it is a different sort of thing. The 1.0/1.0.x branch is the "stable branch", as new features are not implemented here, until lots of testing, and such. There is active dvelopmant in the 1.0.x branch, so it should have _most_ of the improvements to the rendering engine. You can get a 1.0.x nightly at Mozilla's ftp site, but I will not post the address as I am in a hurry.