Lost NeoOffice documents that I saved in Mac Home Folder.

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
MaeDay

Lost NeoOffice documents that I saved in Mac Home Folder.

Post by MaeDay »

In the Help Section of NeoOffice, an article I read specified to use the Mozilla plug-in to show NeoOffice Documents. I lost all my NeoOffice Documents that I had kept in my Mac Home Folder. I don't know what I did or what happened, but I would sure love to get them back. Some of these documents would be hard to recreate. Of course, being a novice, I didn't do a backup. I read that viewing of NeoOffice in Mozilla enabled the Mozilla plug-in to show NeoOffice documents in a browser window. Select, click OK, then restart browser. Then in the browser window, click a link to a NeoOffice document. The plug-in needs a version of Mozilla 1.x installed on my system.

Does any of that make sense to you? Maybe I'm just grasping at straws. I posted a question about my missing NeoOffice documents in Open Office. No help there. Not yet anyway. I would appreciate any help I could get from you.

Sincerely,
Muriel Mae Day
MaeDay :cry: :cry:
*********@****.**** < email address removed by Moderator
MAEDAY
steviex

Re: Lost NeoOffice documents that I saved in Mac Home Folder.

Post by steviex »

I have removed your email address because we do not give email support on this forum. This would deprive other users of the benefit of the solutions offered here on the forum, also it allows more people to contribute to the solution.

And more importantly spambots prowl the forums looking for email addresses to harvest for spam
This is done for your privacy, and your protection.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
MaeDay

Post by MaeDay »

Thanks steviex for removing my email address. I'm new to these forums. How do I know I'm not sending this as a PM? I want it on the board, because hopefully someone will read it and :cry: know how to get my documents back -- with or without the Mozilla plug-in. :cry: :cry:
MAEDAY
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You are on the boards. You are misreading steviex's forum signature. A few of us moderators have similar sigs (see mine) to discourage people from pming us for help. It is not a statement that you have.
steviex

Post by steviex »

To amplify... we want you to post here, rather than use the PM button, which sends a message to only one person. (Look under the user name and avatar.... )

This way everyone can see the question, and potentially contribute to an answer. Also other users with the same problem can see the answer too....

We try to avoid giving private help.... In my case it is usually because I don't know the answer... :)

Now what application are you using with NeoOffice .... Is it Mozilla Suite, SeaMonkey or Firefox ??
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
MaeDay

Post by MaeDay »

steviex wrote:To amplify... we want you to post here, rather than use the PM button, which sends a message to only one person. (Look under the user name and avatar.... )

This way everyone can see the question, and potentially contribute to an answer. Also other users with the same problem can see the answer too....

We try to avoid giving private help.... In my case it is usually because I don't know the answer... :)

Now what application are you using with NeoOffice .... Is it Mozilla Suite, SeaMonkey or Firefox ??
steviex wrote:To amplify... we want you to post here, rather than use the PM button, which sends a message to only one person. (Look under the user name and avatar.... )

Hi,
My browser is Safari. I switch from time to time, but Safari seems to be the Macintosh choice, not mine. I'm still looking for my documents. I searched more in NeoOffice and I ran across an error message in NeoOffice Base. Under Information, the description read "The Connection to the data source "NeoOffice" could not be established. Under Error, the description read- SQL Status: HY000 The connnection to the external data base could not be established. An unknown error occurred. The driver is probably defective.

Can you make anything of that? I haven't given up my search. One day they were there, the next day they were gone. The only hope I have is that this happened once before, and after a search that didn't bring any results, all of a sudden all the documents were back in place. I don't suspect any foul play, I just think the settings could have been wrong or whatever. I read all the instructions on the computer to do this and do that, and most of it I don't understand, so I usually enter default. NeoOffice has a lot of information which goes over my head, but so what, today's technology has completely gone over my head.

One thing I should mention, when I save a NeoOffice document, below the document for saving it says Open Office, but it still goes into my Home Folder. I don't know when Open Office came on the scene or what it means, but it seems to tie in with NeoOffice documents.
Sincerely,
MAEDAY
MAEDAY
QonoS

Post by QonoS »

Let's go back to square one.

You ID yourself as a novice, so please forgive the baby questions.

1) What version of Mac OS are you using?
Edit: Nevermind, I see at the bottom of your post it's 10.4.11

2) When you encountered the problem, were you using a Mozilla browser (Firefox, Seamonkey, Camino, etc) or Safari? I don't imagine a Mozilla plugin could possibly even start up in Safari -- they have completely different internals, down to the rendering engine. So if you were using Safari at the time, I doubt (speaking mostly from ignorance, mind you) that the Mozilla plugin could even have been involved. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3) Are you certain you know the exact location of the NeoOffice documents you created and saved? You said you saved them in your Mac "Home" folder -- do you mean the top level of your Home directory?)

4) I'm on OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) so I don't have the bells and whistles in Tiger and Leopard such as Spotlight. In each OS version, though, there should be some means for searching for all documents created with a certain application. (In 10.3 you need to know type or creator codes and use the Finder's Find function. I'm not sure how you do it with Spotlight on Tiger.) Have you tried that?

when I save a NeoOffice document, below the document for saving it says Open Office, but it still goes into my Home Folder. I don't know when Open Office came on the scene or what it means, but it seems to tie in with NeoOffice documents.

NeoOffice is a Mac offshoot of OpenOffice.org. It's not clear what you mean when you write "below the document for saving it says Open Office, but it still goes into my Home Folder". What says OpenOffice? The location? The file format? Without precise information of this nature it's very difficult to troubleshoot a problem.

If I'm right about this not being a Mozilla problem, then this issue is probably beyond the scope of this board, and I'm not sure the mods will want the discussion to continue. There may be a way for us to continue the discussion privately, but as steviex pointed out, posting an email address on a public board is an engraved invitation for spammers.
MaeDay

Post by MaeDay »

I truly am a novice, because I can't answer some of your baby questions, but here goes. Answer to question #1: My version of Mac OS X is 10.4.11. My next move would be Leopard 10.5. I haven't learned Tiger, so I'll stay at 10.4.11. Besides, I don't have the money to move forward. Answer to #2: I may have been using Camino. I like Camino the best because it isn't so complex as some of the others. I just switched back to Safari 3.1, because it seems to be the browser of choice with Macintosh. However, I find myself always going back to Camino, which I am about to do again. Safari gives me problems and I always get error messages from Safari stating they can't find the server. I don't even know what that means. I have tried Firefox, but I find Firefox too busy. By that, I mean there are so many Add Ons, etc. My screen is only 17 inches, and the Firefox ToolBar takes up a quarter of that. I like to keep it simple, and Camino does that for me. There is one exception in using Camino, I get the error message "The page at http://195.gmodules.com says: This browser is not supported." I don't know why Camino isn't supported. Answer to #3: Mac OS X creates a set of folders where personal files are stored. My home folder is an icon that looks like a house, and it has my name written underneath it. Inside my home folder, which is located in the sidebar at the left side of the finder window, I have a folder called "documents" and that is where I keep my NeoOffice documents, or I should say "where I used to keep them." Question #4 has me baffled. Don't feel bad that you don't have the bells and whistles such as in Spotlight. I have yet to find out what good Spotlight is. You said in 10.3, you need to know type or creator codes and use Finder's Find function. What are Creator codes? Maybe that is why the Find in Finder doesn't find anything for me either. See, I told you I didn't know much about my iMac Intel Core Duo. Question #4 sub-paragraph: When I press Save As: I put in the name for my document, and below that is the house, (Icon that represents Home Folder) with my name on it, in this case my name is moo. With a name like Muriel Mae, I have umpteen nicknames. My granddaughter couldn't say Grandma Muriel, and it came out as Grandma Moo. So I use that one a lot, but instead of Grandma Moo, I've changed it to miss.moo. My short name on my Mac is moo. On mozillazine, I think I'm using MaeDay, which works very well because of being married to Chuck Day. Then under File type it says OpenDocument Text (.odt). Oh my gosh, when I scroll down, there's quite a few File types. I wonder if that is my problem. Maybe my lost documents are saved under a different File type. If so, would that store them somewhere else?

I hope all this helps you to help me. I don't know why a Mozilla plugin would be used in Safari either. I'm quite sure I was using Caminio or Firefox at the time I lost my documents. I have never tried SeaMonkey. I need to keep my settings as simple as possible. If things get too busy, I suffer from brain overload. I wish there weren't so many choices to have to make. It's like going to a grocery store to buy a can of beans or whatever. There's umpteen brands to choose from; should I go with the most expensive thinking it would taste better, or go for the cheapest because of my limited budget.
I hope and pray that my documents come back to me. I can't recreate them. I'm a wordy person, and every time I write something, it turns into an epic. My emails are like that as you may have noticed, but so were my documents.
MaeDay [-o<
MAEDAY
QonoS

Post by QonoS »

OK:

Before I launch into a long-winded discussion, one silly question: Have you checked in the Trash? Look and see if anything you care about is in there.

Also, please format your posts using paragraph breaks. They are much harder to read without them.

So now we know:

1) You're on 10.4.11

2) You may have been using Camino, so indeed there may have been a Mozilla plugin involved. Is anyone out there aware of a bug with the NeoOffice plugin that would cause NeoOffice docs to disappear from the filesystem? MaeDay, where did you get that plugin, where did you install it? Typically you'd use such an extension to view documents out there on the Web in your browser. For example I have the "PDF Browser Plugin" for Camino that allows me to view PDFs in a Camino browser window (and maybe Firefox as well, I don't remember at the moment). Was this a Firefox extension? Please review the NeoOffice help system where you initially found the reference to this plugin, and tell us what it says (like where you get the plugin, etc). Did you try to view a NeoOffice document out on the Web using this browser plugin? Or did you try to view one of the files on your own local system? (I'm not sure why you'd want to do the latter, since you can easily view the docs directly in NeoOffice.)

3) One of the most common novice errors is not realizing or remembering where documents are stored. That's why I asked that.

A little bit of nomenclature: Mac OS X is a variety of Unix. In Unix each user has their own separate playground, known as their home directory. In that directory you can pretty much do as you please -- create, delete, and modify files, etc. Outside that directory users have much more limited rights to mess with stuff. Now if this is your personal Mac and there is only one user account (yours) on the machine, then that account has full administrator rights, so the previous sentence doesn't apply so much. Nonetheless OS X defaults to saving documents where it appears you have been saving them -- in the Documents folder inside your Home folder.

Nomenclature: Folders and directories are pretty much synonymous. Mac users like to call them folders, Unix calls them directories. In Unix, your "Home" directory is abbreviated with a tilde: ~. As you drill down a hierarchy of directories (folders), you separate each level with a forward slash: /. So, for example, if you had created a folder called "Letters" inside the "Documents" folder inside your Home folder, the short way of denoting that "pathway" is ~/Documents/Letters. If you had a NeoOffice document called "Letter to Jane", the path would be "~/Documents/Letters/Letter to Jane.odt" -- assuming you didn't change the file format. As you mentioned, NeoOffice allows you to create files in a variety of formats, including MS Word formats.

Now, when you open "Letter to Jane" to edit it, how does the system "know" which application to open that file with?

Unfortunately, there are two answers.

a) The "Classic" Mac OS (pre Mac OS X) used "type" and "creator" codes. Each code consisted of exactly 4 characters. For example, a document created with MS Word version 5 had a type of WDBN and a creator of MSWD. MS Word itself had a type of APPL (as in application) and a creator of MSWD. So the Mac OS would open any document with a creator code of MSWD in Microsoft Word.

b) Mac OS X still uses type and creator codes to allow for "legacy" documents and applications, but there is a preference for file extensions like those used in DOS/Windows. In DOS/Win, an extension is always the last three characters of the file name, following a dot (period). On Mac OS X the same principle applies, but the extension can be longer than 3 characters long. So in both OS X and Windows, files that end in ".doc" get opened in MS Word by default. If Word doesn't exist on the system, the system says "Help! I can't find that application! Is there something else you'd like me to try to open this document with?" And you can answer that question. That's called an "association." You're associating a file type (denoted by its extension) with an application. I don't have MS Word on my Windows box; I have OpenOffice.org instead (from which NeoOffice is derived.) So .doc files open in OpenOffice.org Writer on my system; .xls (Excel spreadsheets) open in OpenOffice.org Calc, etc. It's a little more complicated than that on OS X -- you can decide to open a particular document with a particular application, and always that application, even if the default application for that file type is something else (like Preview vs. Adobe Reader for .pdf files), but that's the basic idea.

OK, various ways to try to find your files

-- You may not have saved the documents where you thought you did. I'm assuming you thought they were going into ~/Documents. Storing as a different file type, however, should not change the location where the file got saved. Always be aware of the location where you are saving.

--If you know any part of the file name, you should be able to search for that piece of information. Here's where things get dicey -- Between 10.3 and 10.4 the Mac OS interface for searching for files changed radically. In 10.3 you used the Find command in the Finder. In 10.4 and 10.5, you use Spotlight. And I've never used Spotlight, so I don't know what you can and can't do with it. Techie people can do a lot with it by issuing various arcane commands and search parameters but I don' t know how much is visible to the casual user.

-- If you know the file extension under which you saved the docs, you can search for that as part of the filename. The default was .odt but you said you might have used a different format without realizing it. You could try searching on that filename text, though, and see what happens.

-- I don't even know if NeoOffice uses file type and creator codes. I think a lot of newer OS X apps don't use them. If it does, and if you can figure out the document type that NeoOffice uses, then there are tools out there that will let you search using type and creator codes. The 10.3 Find command in the Finder let you do that -- if you typed Command-F you'd get a window, and in the bottom of the window you would get a set of popup menus -- perhaps only one to start with, but if you click the "+" icon you could get as many as you want. Two of the choices were Type and Creator, and therefore you could search for Type and Creator. But like I say, I don't know if NeoOffice uses type and creator, or if so, what they are. But try Command-F in 10.4 and see what happens.

The easiest thing, I think, is to search for some part of the file name that you remember of a disappeared file. Try using Command-F rather than Spotlight (if that does anything at all in Tiger; I've read that it does). Try searching for the .odt string, and maybe .doc.

You may get some help from this article -- it doesn't directly address your problems but it gives some background on using 10.4's Finder and Spotlight.

http://www.macworld.com/article/46773/2 ... tips2.html

Among other things, that article mentions how to "jump to" the Finder folder (directory) where you saved a file, if you somehow forgot where it was.

When you click on a search result in the Spotlight menu, the file opens in its default application. But what if you just want to see where a file is hiding, without actually opening it? Simply hover your mouse over a selection in the Spotlight menu, and a small box showing the file path will appear. To jump to the file in the Finder, select it in the Spotlight menu and press Command-return. Note that this shortcut works only in the Spotlight menu; if you have the Spotlight window open, control-click on the entry and select Reveal In Finder from the menu that appears.

Of course, that only applies if the system can find your files in the first place.

Oh, and -- having been bitten once -- from now make sure you backup :)
MaeDay

Post by MaeDay »

I just got home from a two day getaway. Left Wednesday for fun and relaxation, so I should feel refreshed and ready to tackle anything. While I was driving, I got to thinking about a severe crash I had with Firefox. I'm going through some email and other hard copies that I have kept. By some papers, I mean two boxes, each about a foot high. Since I just got home, and it is 1 a.m. here, I know you will understand if you don't hear from me for another day or so.

I need to study your last post, I'll go over some of the information in these boxes and see if I can come up with something. I found a instructions froom Foxmarks Wiki. The title says FOXMARKS; EXTRACTING INFORMATION FROM THE JAVASCRIPT CONSOLE. It goes on to say: If we ask you to provide information from the Javascript Console to help us debug a problem you're having, here's the procedure. Then it gives 8 instructions to follow. I also have have from mozillaZine's Standard diagnostic for Firefox. The article provides a standard set of steps to follow if Firefox is no longer working properly, and offers solutions that will preserve your user profile data (bookmarks, passwords, history, preference settings, etc.

There's some dialog from Foxmark and/or Firefox, #10262 and #9926 Tracking Numbers. I was emailing Sid Dobson about a problem I was having with Firefox. Please be patient with me. It might have been Firefox I was using at the time. I can't remember when the crash was exactly, but my computer took a while before it recovered, and I believe I lost a lot of data. It's hard to sort out that difficult time. I was having all sorts of problems at the time. I had lost pictures, documents, etc. It may have been right after the Archive and Install on March 31, 2008.

Give me some time to review all this, also to thoroughly read your last post, and see if I can't be a little more precise. It may be that I am just going to have to quit pursuing all this, and I certainly don't want to be wasting your time if I can't come up with some positive statements. I'll be back soon.

Thank you for your help thus far.
MAEDAY
MaeDay

Post by MaeDay »

Hi, I'm back. Your email was very interesting, however, I may have to read it over several times to get a better grasp on all the information you gave me.
After carefully going over all the paperwork I have pertaining to the loss of my NeoOffice documents, Archive and Install of March 31, 2008, and a serious crash, I am pretty sure that I was using Firefox at the time of the crash. Some NeoOffice documents I got back after the crash, but the ones I lost, I don't know if I'll ever see them again. The ones I got back are now lost again.

I guess I can't attach any of the email I wrote to Sid Dobson (do you know him?), nor can I send you any of the replies. I don't see on this post where I can attach anything.

I have an email dated Aug. 29, 2007, almost one year ago today from Sid Dobson. I was using FireFox, and all of a sudden all of my settings reverted back to an earlier time. In his email he commented that it looked to be a Firefox browser issue, so he referred my problem over to www.mozilla.com/support.

That's about all I can remember. I wrote a feedback to Firefox/Mozilla a while later stating I was going to uninstall Firefox, because it had become so slow, and I had to wait and wait while that little whirly thing went around. I can remember getting so tired of seeing that thing. I don't know what happened. It never really was resolved. A couple of days ago, I just started using FireFox again. Things are starting to happen again. I don't think FireFox likes me. I know for a browser, FireFox and Camino were always my favorites.

I thank you for all your help. I saw Mozilla mentioned in the Help pages in NeoOffice. I found it again, but forgive me, I didn't write down any information. Anyway, that is why I wrote to you asking if you knew anything about that plug-in that was needed to download NeoOffice documents. I think I'm burned out looking for these NeoOffice documents.

I will just chalk it up to my being a novice user, and bound to have problems when I'm unsure of the terminology when asked to make a choice. So, variably, I will pick the wrong choice. I wish these Help documents would tell a novice user which decision is the right one to make.

Thank you for your time.

MaeDay :cry: :?
MAEDAY