Strange Internet Episode

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
John Liebson

Strange Internet Episode

Post by John Liebson »

Having not the slightest idea as to where this question ought to be posted, I am going to put it here, to see if anyone can explain it: A few days ago, two of my regular sites, parts of BroadbandReports.com disappeared. A Google search for them, and then for the home page, could not find a single instance of such a system. As one of my two links is part of one of my daily Smart Bookmarks setup, I kept trying, by using "Open Al In Tabs."

To my surprise, not only did that link work this morning, but I found messages on it that had been posted during the days when I could not find anything for BroadbandReports. That link having worked, I tried the bookmark for the other part of that system, one that I usually only visit on Saturday, where I found the same situation as in the first link.

Any explanation of how a set of web sites could disappear from my ISP, sites that even Google could not find for me, but which were today shown to have been active during their absence for me, could then reappear?
Grumpus

Re: Strange Internet Episode

Post by Grumpus »

Temporarily limited for your ISPs access or maybe a network routing change. Guessing?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Do you have a Symantec product installed such as Norton AV? If so, read this article which relates to the ongoing dispute between Google and Symantec over the latter's release of digital certificates which don't comply with Google standards: https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/27/googl ... -internet/
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Reflective wrote:Do you have a Symantec product installed such as Norton AV? If so, read this article which relates to the ongoing dispute between Google and Symantec over the latter's release of digital certificates which don't comply with Google standards: https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/27/googl ... -internet/
Thanks, but no Norton, etc. have ever been on our computers.