New Ransomware Linux?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
dfoulkes

New Ransomware Linux?

Post by dfoulkes »

Seeing this today and not knowing were to put it... just thought I'd put it here... Mods can move/del if it's not appropriate....

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBBvS89?m=en-us&a=1
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Grumpus

Re: New Ransomware Linux?

Post by Grumpus »

That would explain the samba and related samba package updates over the past few days for various Linux distributions.
Problem with Samba and Linux distributions is it is a crossover software which allows use of printers and various other hardwares which had been specifically MS based.
There was a time when Linux distributions allowed the removal of samba, you were able to do this with some of the early distributions but with systemd and the dual boot concepts taking a firmer foothold it appears to be more of a necessity. It's another weakness courtesy of Microsoft in my opinion.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Actually Grump I think the samba bug is a separate issue
http://hackaday.com/2017/05/25/linux-sambacry/
as it is an old bug not a new one

(note to self update your Linux box)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@malliz - I think what I read was the same thing unless there were two and they got both of them. There was a blurb in the Register a couple of days ago (maybe a week as I'm getting old) on the SMB exploit. It was mentioned somewhere this was a skeleton in the closet.
You might want to do a little research on the Linux end of things as it appears there's some changes in the works for Linux OSs generally.
Mint and Ubuntu just updated the smb related packages and FF, both noted as med sec.
One of the SMB related news items
Paragraph lists ancient vulnerabilities
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I remember an old backdoor into Redhat systems that was great for hacking into not so careful fellow students computers easy to block if you weren't lazy. I often wonder if it was ever fixed it was pretty widely known. (and no I won't share so don't ask)
My Linux box is running the latest Mint Mate 18.1 and is kept current as are my windows pc's. Had to fix far too many virus/rootkit infected computers for other people. Just wondering why one story is claiming a "recently discovered" vulnerability for a seven year old bug?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

malliz - not enough drama on Twitter or Facebook? . . . maybe it's just been found by someone who didn't know it was already found (apparently several times already) or there wasn't a "wontfix" attached?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Seeing as all types of security bug seems to be worth money for discovery you have to think there is a cottage industry of geeks making a living on the bug bounties :wink:
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

. . . or the millennial version of the protection racket, but folks gotta eat. :roll: