Privacy - for who?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Privacy - for who?

Post by Grumpus »

After reading this article and similar ones earlier on.
Who's privacy is really being protected. It seems to me most of the protections have nothing to do with the user, the average person cruising the Internet, and do more to hide miscreants and others. When an IP for something like AWS or Google or some other network shows up it doesn't show the actual location. You get a boilerplate answer, even with really good IP identifiers. In some cases there may be a list of sites under the server address but for the most part you get squat. Shouldn't it be the other way around so you can see better to protect yourself instead of allowing commercial clouds make the decisions. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Re: Privacy - for who?

Post by Grumpus »

Part of this issue also includes whether or not these same advertisers have the right to block content on networks if their advertising is blocked.
This is an old dead horse with none of the rats being beaten out of it as of yet. Lots of discussion but nothing substantive has occurred so the advertisers continue with DoS attacks from the generic represented IPs for some cloud service but do the cloud services also support the blocking of content, when no relationship to the advertiser other than an oblique, if that, ad.
I'm finding Amazon web service IPs deliberately blocking Google search when opening Firefox due to my blocking AWS servers. Does Google want AWS blocking the search or have they given up on search.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This FloC should be looked at in detail and not the usual fluff put out by the various parties.
In my opinion the concept of grouping eliminates the unrestricted freedom which should be applied to the Internet in the control of the user.
Mentioned in the article there could be complications which turn the Internet into a fee for access cluster F*** .
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi eLGrumpo,
Here's a bit more detailed info. on the "FLoC' subject by your friend & mine, Steve Gibson...

> https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
Episode #814 | 13 Apr 2021 | 108 min.
"PwnIt and OwnIt."

I just watched it the other night.
COOKIES are being sent to the crumb factory.
Google had to do something to keep their ill gotten $$$'s rolling in.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

:D Thanks for that. Will watch it.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

During the past week there was an announcement about Apple blocking advertising from places like Facebook.
Listened to a discussion with a small advertiser registering her complaint of it being unfair to small shop owners.
In my opinion it's not the advertising itself which is the problem but the tracking, data scraping and other private information gathering which is the problem.
If it was only the advertising it can be ignored but it's the background information gathering which is the real issue.
The small shop owner (using shop generally) doesn't need the information gathered by Facebook, AWS, Google or anyone else.
If a standard for a simple ad structure was present and enforced there wouldn't be a privacy issue.
Years ago information like address, phone number, location, general characteristics was something advertising agencies had to pay for just like clip art.
Along came an unrestricted and unregulated Internet and it gave the piggies a whole new trough to swill info from. :-k
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Grumpus wrote:
Grumpus wrote:This FloC should be looked at in detail and not the usual fluff put out by the various parties.
In my opinion the concept of grouping eliminates the unrestricted freedom which should be applied to the Internet in the control of the user.
Mentioned in the article there could be complications which turn the Internet into a fee for access cluster F*** .
In case any one didn't notice - Firefox to adopt Google's Manifest v3 - with some variation
  • Image Currently, Google is a darn metastasized cancer of the Internet.
    With their pathetic crap browser, and all their stupid webcomponets, polifills, shadow DOM, wasm ... etc.

And MozCo, the only thing they have done since ever, is to follow the same line of stupidity.

I'm very disappointed that, MozCo have not rejected it. They're completely pathetic ... Image

Cheers!! Image
Last edited by LIMPET235 on May 30th, 2021, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some slight text editing....
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It does seem these larger companies have little or no regard for users but this seems to be part of the whole spectrum of applied technology for the Internet.
Looking at the complete disregard for privacy and safety in the development of Internet of Things, apps, phones, cloud services, just because someone figured out how to do it.
A real chuckle is Microsoft discovering the hackers attacking government service sites, they're a couple of years or more too late but I guess it's good PR.
Ideation_at_M

Post by Ideation_at_M »

One very big 'plus' in all this business about data collection by these huge companies is the absolutely wonderful ways they try to sell the public the idea that they actually are protecting our privacy. Someday some of their folks that write some of that stuff will write some really good fiction stuff like that Shakespeare fella did. But what many folks don't know was that Shakespeare fella was doing PR work for that king fella at that time. The folks with the power and money go out and find great fiction writers and then those writers get themselves into a comfortable and financially stable situation and then try their hand at writing their own stuff.

In the meantime, the fiction we see coming out of those fancy IT company offices can be quite entertaining. I've actually worked with some of those folks --- well, "with" might be disputed by some. "Against" would fit. Like being against the use of the vocabulary "user" instead of "customer". But I have a very bad habit of getting into losing battles. But I needed the training for the biggest battle yet to come.

Oh yes, and not just the IT companies. Had a super nasty one at the ISOC, and that one is going to get even worse and that poor president fella is in for a horrid shock. Probably an even worse shock than that failed sale the ISOC couldn't pull off.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Question for all: What is or should be private information?
Information which does not belong in the hands of business, any business.
Considering the misuse of information for marketing, qualifying for financial reasons or building of individual profiles.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Grumpus wrote:Question for all: What is or should be private information? ...
  • Image All of them. Unmitigated

All your personal information is yours alone. And no one, has the right to snoop on it, without permission.

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~