Strange Problem for Our Computer 1. [Linux.]

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
kenmorgan

Strange Problem for Our Computer 1. [Linux.]

Post by kenmorgan »

Our Second Computer is still working and is being used now! Our computer 1 is no longer functioning. Computer 1 was the computer that ran an email system for many years using Thunderbird. I had not created an email system using Thunderbird in computer 2, but because computer 1 is not working, I have been trying for over a month to create an email system using Thunderbird in computer 2. The moderator, tanstaafl, gave me excellent help, :D , but I haven't yet been able to create an email system.

I have now decided to come back to computer 1 and try again to get it running. A little over four months we moved into a new house. I tried to open computer 1 as soon as we unpacked everything. "GNU GRUB" starts like this:

CentOS 2.6.32

Everything started to come up, but then it reached this:

---
Starting kdump:
Starting sshd:
Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: LibClamAV Warning ******************************
LibClamAV Warning: *** Virus database timestamp in the future! ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** Please check the timezone and clock setting ***
LibClamAV Warning: ******************************
CPU0: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total = 1)
CPU0: Core temperature / speed normal
[Hardware Error] Machine check events logged
---

Those "CPU: Core" and "[Hardware Error]" continue over and over. The only difference between them is the "total". The numbers are usually six digets: "(total = 167818)", "(total = 276908)", "(total = 179461)" etc.

One time I let this continue for an entire day!!!

Also, the "CPU: Core..." ALWAYS begins after the four "Clam" lines. The "Clam" lines have been included in the GNU GRUB list a long time, probably a few years.

I don't know if the "CPU: Core..." lines for some reason just "happen" to follow the "Clam" lines each time I try to open computer 1. Could the "CPU: Core..." lines somehow be connected to the "Clam" lines? Remember, the "CPU: Core..." only began after our move about four months ago.

Since the GNU GRUB list doesn't now seem to stop, I cannot remove the "Clam" line, which can only be done after everything becomes up and running in the computer 1.

So...how can I fix these things and get to use computer 1 again?

I really look forward to your help.

Ken
Last edited by kenmorgan on October 1st, 2021, 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
CentOS 6 Linux
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Strange Problem for Our Computer 1. [Linux.]

Post by malliz »

Clam is associated with Clam AV an Anti Virus for Linux that has to be user installed.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Version information with links
With your version being what seems to be the EOL if something was installed improperly after the date or you tried to install something after, like the ClamAV package it could be the issue.
Notice the future dates; could the cmos battery be the issue or some change in the bios dates.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
kenmorgan

Post by kenmorgan »

malliz: I can't follow your sentence. I can only remove the "Clam" lines when the system is running. Maybe I misunderstand you. I appreciate your help, and perhaps you can explain it in more detail. I look forward to what you might suggest. :)

Grumpus:

"With your version being what seems to be the EOL if something was installed improperly after the date or you tried to install something after, like the ClamAV package it could be the issue."

The ClamAV was put on computer 1 several years ago. The computer was used while we lived in several homes, and we generally shut it down at night. I don't know how ClamAV can suddenly be followed by "CPU: Core..." the first time I tried to start computer 1 the first time in our new house. Perhaps there is some way. I'll be anxious for how you respond. I certainly could be wrong here!

"Notice the future dates; could the cmos battery be the issue or some change in the bios dates."

Unfortunately, I don't understand "the cmos" and "the bios dates." Yes, I'm not that good any more! :( Perhaps you could add a little. I'd really appreciate it.

Ken
CentOS 6 Linux
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

CMOS - computer main operating system
When the cmos battery dies you can lose the settings in the Bios. ex: Dates and depending on the Bios different settings.
BIOS - from an HP site: As your PC's most important startup program, BIOS, or Basic Input/Output System, is the
built-in core processor software responsible for booting up your system.
Typically embedded into your computer as a motherboard chip.
Your mother board which holds the processor controlling the Bios - on some desktops but not always on laptops.
Some laptops do not have a removable cmos battery. - usually has a replaceable battery (round usually a CR2032)
This is usually indicated as a date issue or some other set functions not working.
Depending on age and load these fail on occasion.
As an side - older versions of Linux had some issues with the date and would use a different epoch.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you