Suggest this go away.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Suggest this go away.

Post by Grumpus »

suggestions for money
Apparently blocking newtabpage wasn't enough of a pain in the neck, now we have sponsored suggestions in the url bar.
Did the marketing goof who came up with this one ever think less of this kind of "help" might make the browser better and more popular?
:roll:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
WaltS48

Re: Suggest this go away.

Post by WaltS48 »

Grumpus wrote:suggestions for money
Apparently blocking newtabpage wasn't enough of a pain in the neck, now we have sponsored suggestions in the url bar.
Did the marketing goof who came up with this one ever think less of this kind of "help" might make the browser better and more popular?
Still can be disabled in my Nightly 95.0a1 in the Privacy and Security > Address Bar-Firefox Suggest section.

It was enabled, and I don't recall ever seeing a sponsored search.

Can anyone provide a test case?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

WaltS48 wrote:
Grumpus wrote:suggestions for money
Still can be disabled in my Nightly 95.0a1 in the Privacy and Security > Address Bar-Firefox Suggest section.

It was enabled, and I don't recall ever seeing a sponsored search.

Can anyone provide a test case?
Thanks for pointing this out. I just turned this off.

By the way, it looks like the "learn more" is a link, but you cannot "middle click" it.
Contextual suggestions
Learn more
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Well, a left-click opens "Learn More" in a new tab for me. Opens all of those links in a new tab.

A middle click activates my autoscrolling setting, then another middle click opens the link in a new tab.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

The more I think about this the more sponsored suggestions appears to be another distraction from a persons manner of using the Internet.
Every body likes to make a buck but this looks like throwing empty boxes on a highway with advertising printed on them and and trying to get to your destination ( the reason you access the net) with out crashing into the boxes and being distracted from your destination.
For the most part I still believe there is more to the Internet than advertising and most users have a reason for access beyond looking at advertising.
This sponsored suggestions is a distraction from most users plans of use.
There's no doubt advertisers want more access to sell products and services but this is in my mind wrong thinking.
Every day I block more and more IPs from Amazon and Cloud-front servers (also amazon) supporting useless unwanted, unneeded items and services.Just because a company has the right to advertise the user has the right to ignore and block if it interferes with a users normal use of their access time. The advertisers are not paying the users month bill by being a nuisance or distracting them from their goals.
There's also the opening of more cloud based exploits directly in the browser due to careless oversight.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you