Multiple Web Sites on Single Firefox Taskbar Button

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Clueless in Seattle

Multiple Web Sites on Single Firefox Taskbar Button

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

During the month of December I'm in the habit of listening to what many if not most folks might regard as very cheesy winter holiday music. I've found a couple of websites that stream just that kind of music, but when I click on the "Play" buttons on those websites, the music players open up as a sub-button on my Firefox button on my Windows 10 task bar. So I end up with a total of three sub-buttons on my Firefox task bar; two for the music players and one for my primary Firefox browsing window.

The upshot of this is that everytime I want to use Firefox I have to first click on the main Firefox taskbar button, and then choose between one of the three sub-buttons presented to me like this:

ImageFirefox Music Player Screenshot by Will Anderson, on Flickr

So I have to click twice every time I want to access one of the three options.

It seems to me that there must be some way to disentangle these three buttons from each other, and instead pin each oen of them as a separate button onto my Windows 10 taskbar. Is that possible? It sure would make life easier for me when I want to find out the title of the tune that's playing, if I could just make a single click on one of those music player buttons.
DanRaisch

Re: Multiple Web Sites on Single Firefox Taskbar Button

Post by DanRaisch »

You may find that that has less to do with Firefox than it does with Windows settings. Try Windows Settings->Personalization->>Taskbar->Taskbar->Combine taskbar buttons->Never (or "When taskbar full".
Clueless in Seattle

Thanks, Dan!

You got that right; what I'm dealing with here is a Windows 10 "feature."

I tried your suggestion to change the "Combine taskbar buttons" setting to "Never". But then that disabled "Use small taskbar buttons" and I ended up with a gigantic taskbar cluttered with "taskbar labels." Apparently Windows doesn't permit small taskbar buttons when the "Combine taskbar buttons" option is disabled.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate your willingness help out on a problem that had nothing to do with Firefox at all.
Last edited by Clueless in Seattle on December 4th, 2022, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Will,
See if there's anything from the WIN10 fora that may help you sort this out.

> https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php? ... x=0&sa.y=0

I always like to go to the "Horse's Mouth" & not fool around at the other end.
:)

There's also this freebie that is being recommended by quite a few for sorting the taskbar out....
> https://ramensoftware.com/7-taskbar-tweaker
Latest version apparently is 5.14.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moved to MozillaZine Tech as the issue is reallyl a Windows problem and not with Firefox per se.
Apparently Windows doesn't permit small taskbar buttons when the "Combine taskbar buttons" option is disabled.
I'm not sure that's true. You might try switching to small buttons after restarting Windows. I have the task bar set to only combine buttons when the bar is full and also have small task bar buttons activated and it's working for me.
Clueless in Seattle

Ah! "after restarting Windows"!

I only tried switching back to small buttons after disabling the "Combine taskbar buttons" option. It didn't occur to me to restar Windows before making the switch back to small buttons.

However, this problem has been prempted by a bigger problem: This morning when I ran Firevox, all my tabs had vanished. So trying to figure out how to get them back is now taking up my time.

I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer on this new problem. I posted about it here this morning:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3104341