Panda or Cyberdefender

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
w84dem2go

Panda or Cyberdefender

Post by w84dem2go »

Somehow I got a couple a viruses in the last month or so, even thoug Norton anti-virus & AVG both was loaded on my system by my brother.

So now Im looking into other anti-virus programs. I'm pretty sure I want to pay cuz my experience w/ free softwares hasn't been none too good. A good friend, who messes around with computers alot recommended Panda anti-virus. I read on some some forums that also listed it as ones they liked, as well as I found some good reviews of Cyberdefender.

I liked Cyberdefender as it seems to be a more complete package, covering anti-virus, trojans, spyware, id theft protection. Panda did seem easy to use though, pretty streight forward.

Panda doesn’t seem as good to me, but lots of people seem to like it and give it good reviews.

I checked CNET for reviews, and they rated AVG very high, but my experience withe that one was not so good.

Panda only got 3 stars in this review: http://www.download.com/Panda-Antivirus-2008/3000-2239_4-10487476.html?tag=mncol

Whereas Cyberdefender got 4 stars in their CNET review: [url]http://www.download.com/CyberDefender-AntiSpyware/3000-8022_4-10811874.html?tag=mncol
[/url]

I am leaning toward Cyberdefender - it is cheaper for the paid version. I heard of Panda, and it is mentioned a lot, but Cyberdefender is not mentioned much at all. Cyberdefender is a public company, but is it a good anti-virus program?

Can anyone recommend any others that I should look into?
LoudNoise

Re: Panda or Cyberdefender

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Tech...
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Franadora

Post by Franadora »

First I recommend that you only have ONE installed - Part of your problems may be due to having both Norton and AVG installed. Two is NOT better than one in the antivirus field. In fact they may conflict.

And do realize that no software is 100% perfect. Much can be done with care in where you go, what you click and what you type. In other words, safe hex.

As I only use free packages for personal use (and have done very well following suggestions on this board), I cannot make any recommendations on paid packages. My work machine does have Norton, but that's a corporate decision I have no input on.
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows10, 7 Starter, Home Premium; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I am very happy with both Avast! Antivirus and Avira Anti-Vir - the free versions, on separate PC's of course. They do their job and they work well with Firefox, plus they bug me with un-necessary alerts.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
mzfuser
Folder@Home

Post by mzfuser »

If you dont trust the freeware avast or Avira then just use their paid versions :D
w84dem2go

Post by w84dem2go »

No opinions about Cyberdefender? Has anyone used it? Or know anyone who has? If I can't trust the freeware, it concersns me that the paid versions too. How long have you used these?
mzfuser
Folder@Home

Post by mzfuser »

I have used avast and Avira for about a year each.

If you really dont trust their pay versions either then go for NOD32 or Kaspersky. Both are top notch AVs and better than Panda.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I trust Avast so much that I count on it to protect my customers' machines as well as my own. Free does not mean bad and paid does not mean good (look at Norton. Horrible program that brings me lots and lots of business).
franharkonan

Post by franharkonan »

I use Cyberdefender anti-virus and love it. I did start off with the free anti-virus scanner that I saw on their website(http://www.cyberdefender.com) That found and got rid of a ton of spyware and Trojan crap. I had still had virus' to take care of so I bought the paid version which also came with 24/7 computer assistance that's actually helpful.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I like to read others input on AV's here at http://www.wilderssecurity.com , some very knowledgeable folks there.
A quick search for 'cyberdendfer' on that site revealed only returns, and those from 2007. WS is a very active site, so to have no one make any comments at all in 2 yrs leaves me suspect of the program. Things change I suppose, but back then it was ad-supported. Read and decide for yourself:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.p ... id=2804349

YIKES: peer-to-peer updating ??? no thanks !

http://www.cyberdefender.com/antivirus- ... rview.html
condorito

Post by condorito »

The thing is if you're going to be warezing, it won't really matter how many walls of protection you use, they'll score on you. I'm not saying you warez, but to abandon an antivirus solution just because it failed to pick up a virus seems a bit naive.
So the maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light.
Cyberfox

Post by Cyberfox »

the-edmeister wrote:I am very happy with both Avast! Antivirus and Avira Anti-Vir - the free versions, on separate PC's of course. They do their job and they work well with Firefox, plus they bug me with un-necessary alerts.

I prefer Avira myself.