AntiVirus Program

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: AntiVirus Program

Post by malliz »

Daifne wrote:Yes, the Avast interface is quite unfortunate. Fortunately, there are other skins for it. The second one that's included is nice and there are others that you can download. Click on the little doohickey in the upper left to get the menu and select skins.

http://www.avast.com/eng/rejzorsharp.html
Is not too bad either
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
babieca

Post by babieca »

I combined the icons right away.
I kind of like the animation- at least I know something is actively happening. When I had AVG the little "scan in progress" icon would pop up and stay on for hours and hours, but if I went into the task manager there would be nothing running in AVG.

I like Avast! (so far), it seems to be doing the job and I don't have the problem of my Thunderbird saved passwords disappearing after every virus scan like I did with AVG. And Sunbird hasn't crashed once since changing over. Right now reloading AVG is about as attractive to me as licking a popsicle that had been rolled in ground glass.

I also use Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition- I've used Ad-Aware for years and it seems to do the trick. I used to use Spybot Search and Destroy as well but there developed an issue as to who the computer belonged to- the program started deciding on its own what files I could save and what sites I could visit regardless whether I was using Firefox or IE (it hated IE and none of the .edu or .gov sites would load). It ignored a few things that should have been removed and decided my raw Adobe Audition tracks were spyware. It had to go. Up until they had "upgraded" it to that version it had worked flawlessly. It was kind of funny- Ad-Aware and Spybot would get all flashy over things found in each other's quarantine files.
I'd rather stay in a village with no magicians than get into a flying machine with two mad ones.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Spybot is still quite nice, just uncheck the box for Teatimer when you install it. That's the troublemaker.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

That, and Spybot's offer to clean out the temp directory before scanning. That's caused problems for some users.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

^The only problem I've ever had with FF was caused by Spybot after it began offering the immunize (hosts) option.
You dug me out of deep doo doo with that one. :)
One thing I did notice when I used it, was after installing Spywareblaster, Spybot found nothing....ever.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Oh yeah, I disabled Firefox immunization too.

mightyglydd wrote:One thing I did notice when I used it, was after installing Spywareblaster, Spybot found nothing....ever.

None of my AV or other anti-malware programs ever find anything but false positives or harmless user tracks. I still use the Avast On-Access Scanner though. Just in case I ever slip up.