Is Lynx the fastest browser? Is Lynx any good?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Shovel

Post by Shovel »

Having a text browser laying around is always handy if you're developing. I did a Linux install a few months back and was bored, so switched to a different console and started up links2. You get just as much enjoyment from reading blogs and news sites, even forums. Sure it's maybe not as immersive and I sure as hell got Firefox as soon as I had a Gnome install running, but can be really cool if your website will degrade back all the way to text (which, if you're a good little webdev and use semantic XHTML, it will... ;))
Old Sebastian Naitsabes

Post by Old Sebastian Naitsabes »

I sometimes use Lynx and Links on Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com Linux emulator for Windows. I remember when I first downloaded and installed Cygwin I was completely addicted at displaying webpages in Lynx and Links, because I found it rather interesting to see these webpages as text only. However now I use Lynx and Links occasionally when I am bored or, because of Web developer reasons.

P.S

I am thinking about getting Fedora Linux soon.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Moving as this isn't really Firefox-oriented...
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

I'm also a fan of Lynx and use it regularly. :)

Peace...
babba

Post by babba »

Budrick wrote:The key point about them is that they don't run in a GUI environment

Links can also run in a graphical environment aswell if you run it with (-g) switch,something like this.

Code: Select all

links -g -driver x -mode 1280x1024x16M32

However its not posssible to open new tabs instead of windows.
The only way i found to run it in new tabs,it was when i used links with ION,a tabbed window manager.
Maybe is also possible with gnome terminal or any other tabbed terminal like mlterm,didnt tried though.
GNU/Ben

Post by GNU/Ben »

Actually links can run in full GUI mode (with mouse, images) even without X or another GUI running:

Code: Select all

links -driver svgalib -mode 1280x1024x16M32
or
links -driver fb
"When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'."
-- Linus Torvalds
Gentoo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041210 Firefox/1.0
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

If you want some text browsing fun, use Links.
What will happen next? You never know.
David James

Post by David James »

Ah, Lynx. I remember using Lynx over a decade ago launched from the local freenet on a dial-up connection that was essentially telnet (via HyperTerminal in Windows). The web was still mainly a text environment then and email was accessed by pine or something similar. Ya, those were the days before the great mass arrived on the scene and before spam was even a remote problem. Such nostalgia...
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
alex17pat

Re: Is Lynx the fastest browser? Is Lynx any good?

Post by alex17pat »

One of the best text only browsers which I know are
Lynx
WebIE
Elinks
Labnol Text Browser
Text Mode Chrome Extension
source:- http:/merabheja.com/12-text-only-browsers-for-browsing-in-slow-internet-connections/
DanRaisch

Re: Is Lynx the fastest browser? Is Lynx any good?

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your input but you've replied to a thread that died THIRTEEN years ago!