Java update installs Yahoo Toolbar

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
condorito

Java update installs Yahoo Toolbar

Post by condorito »

Pretty f'n sneaky I'll tell you what. Uninstalling.. Ha Ha!
So the maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light.
Daifne

Re: Java update installs Yahoo Toolbar

Post by Daifne »

There's a box you can uncheck in the installer to avoid it...
condorito

Post by condorito »

They made it very inconspicuous then, because I honestly didn't notice. In any case, I hate software pushers.
So the maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I do, too. The most annoying one I've seen lately is the Norton scanner that installs with Shockwave (and I think some Google things) if you're not careful. It's uninstaller doesn't work correctly. You have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get rid of it. Nasty thing (not just because it's Norton...)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Does the Norton un-installer that comes with any Norton application ever work completely?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Not really, and not at all with this Norton scanner thing. The Norton Removal Tools doesn't even get this bit of garbage.
condorito

Post by condorito »

^ Ha ha ha. That's something! What kind of crappy coders does symantec hire?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Remembered the full name now. It's the Norton Security Scan and it installs mainly with Shockwave. The fix for fully uninstalling it was found on page 2 of this topic in the Norton Community posted by Dave_Coleman who is an Administrator, and I believe, a Symantec employee. They do admit that it's a bug: http://community.norton.com/norton/boar ... ing&page=2

But, Huh?
After some research, it has been discovered that this issue is actually a defect in NSS, and not a fault of its design.
Defect, but not a fault of it's design? What?

I see that they have also now put the instructions on their support pages: http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/ ... N&ln=en_US
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

I dunno if something has happened, but I've had Firefox hang on three different computers (a PC and two laptops) when trying to download and verify Java SE 6 U 14. I had to get the Java update off Sun Microsystems's site for all three of my computers.

I've also recently updated Adobe Acrobat and Quicktime on the computers, though I have no idea if the freezes are due to the updates of those plugins. I would need a clean profile to do some testing, but I don't have the time to test right now. =/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

See here re Java.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1293885
And here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r225395 ... -Java-link
It seems to happen with FF 3.0.11 not 3.0.10.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Thanks for the links, mightyglydd. I'll go follow along over there to avoid crossposting here.
sremick

Post by sremick »

You used to be able to get the offline installer without the bundled toolbar if you downloaded it from java.sun.com instead of java.com. From java.sun.com you'd get a version of the .exe with a "-p" suffix which signified that it didn't have the toolbar bundle.

Unfortunately that no longer seems to be the case. Anyone know where you can still get the -p version of the latest Java?