Folding@Home

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

wow! splum sure is popular with the lady nucletides now!

*just thinking, maybe team ff will join us now that "cough, cough" the race is over. we'd sure whomp some serious ass together* :)
holy_saiyan1

Post by holy_saiyan1 »

wow... i'm looking at the overtake chart on Extreme Overclockers and that is simply amazing. 10 days until the next predicted overtake (Mustangworld.com), am i reading this correctly?

anyway, i'm looking for a good F@H monitor.. i only have one faithful box, so i dont think i need anything fancy. right now i'm using Electron Microscope, which i have my problems with but it gets the job done i suppose. i'm not satisfied, but i don't want to change if its the best there is. any ideas?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Electron Microscope + Console verison definitely beats the graphical client - the graphical client kept freezing Windows on startup.

If you like Electron Microscope, then you should download and install the Chime plugin - it allows you to view your proteins in full 3d:
http://www.mdli.com/products/framework/chemscape/
You have to register to download it, but registration is free.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
holy_saiyan1

Post by holy_saiyan1 »

yeah i probably don't even NEED a monitoring program.. i'm using the graphical client. i have another question, though. i'm a SETI@Home refugee, and with S@H it was much faster to use the command-line version than the graphical. is the same true with F@H? if so, are there any good how-to sites on how to get the command-line version running and running at best speed?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

No, you don't need a monitoring program if you use the graphical client, and the console version is much more stable.

Here's the userguide for the console version: http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html
You can install it as a Windows Service, so you never have to see it or start it manually.

To make it take over the graphical client's current work unit, just download it to the Folding@Home install directory. Don't run both at once though.

I don't know if the console version is faster, but since it has no GUI to run I would asusme it would be a bit faster at least. I just know its more stable.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
old zmanzero

Post by old zmanzero »

just thought i'd share the latest picture of splum with you. he is a rather fine protein, and on his skateboard he is the apple of every protein's eye.

uhhh... upnorth, join us! and have your team join us! and our proteins will play together! and there will be no sad proteins. and splum will share his skateboard! and all the proteins will be happy and play! and we'll drink beer and watch them play!
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

holy_saiyan1 wrote:wow... i'm looking at the overtake chart on Extreme Overclockers and that is simply amazing. 10 days until the next predicted overtake (Mustangworld.com), am i reading this correctly?

anyway, i'm looking for a good F@H monitor.. i only have one faithful box, so i dont think i need anything fancy. right now i'm using Electron Microscope, which i have my problems with but it gets the job done i suppose. i'm not satisfied, but i don't want to change if its the best there is. any ideas?
I'm currently using FAHMon posted some time ago in this topic :?

EDIT: has anyone tried the new 5.04 beta console version?
Rishi M.
Folder@Home

Post by Rishi M. »

RPGMaker35 wrote:EDIT: has anyone tried the new 5.04 beta console version?

Not yet, but now that you've pointed it out to me, I'll try it on Windows and Linux and see what's it like. Thanks! ;)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Folding for Team MozillaZine (No. 39340) with 32.4GHz of power. Your machine can make a difference! Join now.
UncleVR

Post by UncleVR »

Thanks for the heads up, RPGMaker35. I do indeed use the -advmethods switch, though once it's been added manually to the service entry, there is no need to continue to mess with it. Still, I'll go ahead and snag the beta.

5.04 (Console only):
- Allows configuration of the amount of memory to indicate available,
especially useful when running multiple "big unit" clients on a single
machine.
- Allows for the setting of -advmethods as a persistent option
through the Configuration.
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

what does
machine.
mean/do anyway?
UncleVR

Post by UncleVR »

I just ran it, and basically it allows you to specify how much of your system memory will be allocated. It gave me a choice of allocating up to 511MB for folding. Doesn't mean it will use that much, but that it can. For now I just let it take the default of 511, and I'll see how it does. I may well lower that down to 150-200 when I get Civ IV. :D

AquaDyne

Post by AquaDyne »

RPGMaker35 wrote:what does
machine.
mean/do anyway?

It's primarily an option to allow you to have your system report less memory than normal. This is especially useful if you are running multiple large-memory applications (FAH with BigWU on two threads, or FAH and something else).

It was put in there in response to people who were folding two BigWUs on one machine... they take from 200-300MB memory sometimes, and if you had a 512MB system, two 300-MB cores would thrash your system. (Trust me, I tried this!) This way they can 'partition' their memory between the two FAH processes and make sure that FAH never asks for more memory than they have.

If you're just running one thread (which Stanford prefers anyway) you can just leave the default.

(I've been using the 5.04 beta for several weeks now without incident. Monitoring with Electron microscope, which I prefer to the other monitors out there, although you have to tweak some settings.)
Firefox/2.0 RC1 (20060918)
dallard

Post by dallard »

Hey all. Apologies if this information was already posted. but after a search through the forums I can't find it.

According to the F@H faq (http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-points.html), if you're willing to accept more labour intensive WUs, they are worth more points. Directions for setting the console and gui clients are also available in their faq (http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-settings.html). Essentially, if you use the gui, right click on the systemtray icon and go to configure>connection>accept large wu's; if you use console you'll need to use the -config or -configonly flags.

They warn that they can get pretty unstable, but if you have a machine that you are able to frequently monitor, you could make a difference by accepting large WUs. This will keep us pushing forward even faster!

Congrats to all on the folding so far.

Derek

edit: fixed up typo
graywave

Post by graywave »

RPGMaker35 wrote:
holy_saiyan1 wrote:anyway, i'm looking for a good F@H monitor.. i only have one faithful box, so i dont think i need anything fancy. right now i'm using Electron Microscope, which i have my problems with but it gets the job done i suppose. i'm not satisfied, but i don't want to change if its the best there is. any ideas?
I'm currently using FAHMon posted some time ago in this topic :?

I'm also using FAHMon. Much faster I hear than Electron Microscope.

I'm back everybody. Anyone bake a new cake?
Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together -- Carl Zwanzig
Fold with Us! Team 39340 - MozillaZine| folding.stanford.edu
djcater

Post by djcater »

Nice work team :-)

I'm going to hopefully add about 12 computers to my name in the next couple of weeks.