Folding@Home

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
bollix47
Folder@Home

Re: Folding@Home

Post by bollix47 »

By any chance are you using a 32-bit o/s? IIRC A3 cores are 64-bit and if the A4 server that works for you is down or in reject there have been reports that the servers are downloading A3 projects which require a 64-bit o/s. You can check the Server Status page to see if the server that works for you is unavailable. If it is you can only pause and wait for it to become available again ... at least until they fix the problem.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You nailed it.
It kept trying to run after updating to the A3 core (64bit) and I have been running the 32 bit since this is not an AMD system.
I did check the server status and it was accepting both 171.x.x.x and a 143.x.x.x ranges but the 128.x.x.x UofV project kept getting in there and dumping the A3 core.
I dumped the software and my setup thinking it might be corrupted.
Maybe I'll try again some other time, not folding for now, besides my machine is too slow apparently and they need the 64 bit.
You'd have thought my system wouldn't have gone obsolete so fast. ;)

I should have known something was amiss when they changed the site with all the happy happy joy joy social stupidity links.

PS: Part of the problem could be AOL, akamai, singlehop and the Rubicon project, all were after the 443 port on my system while trying to get a package. No need for that unless it has to do with funding for the folding project, they may need to reel them in a little if that is the cause.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

Grumpus wrote: this is not an AMD system.

The name's a bit deceptive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd64
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Frenzie - Thanks for the link.
This processor has the 64 bit instruction set and though it's running the 32 bit folding core it could be the core updating system is acting on the processor and not the installed package.
I did the re-install this morning with the previous package and things seem to be working well so far.
I may at some point address the software change to 64bit but for now this is what I'm using, not hard headed just a little cautious.
If they discontinue the 32 bit package that may force the issue but for now this seems stable and unaffected by other activities on the system, even heavy audio/graphics software, though some slowdown of the project or lengthening of time span has been noted.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I'd put this stuff in the folding forum but it doesn't look like anyone has been there since 2010
Looks like the issues with folding has started over again same situation .
Updating the A_3 core and having the run show errors and the folding unit fail.
The 143.x.x.x server tries to load but keeps failing, nothing is blocked.
The 128.x.x.x server keeps putting the A_3 64 bit core after loading a work unit which fails when it tries to run under the 32 bit core.

This is the log when it tries to fold using the A_3 core.
02:19:39:Trying to access database...
02:19:39:Successfully acquired database lock
02:19:39:Enabled folding slot 00: PAUSED cpu:8 (paused)
02:19:48:WU00:FS00:Starting
02:19:48:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Changed SMP threads from 8 to 4 this can cause some work units to fail
02:19:48:WU00:FS00:Running FahCore: /usr/bin/FAHCoreWrapper /home/grumpus/folding/cores/www.stanford.edu/~pande/Linux/x86/Core_a3.fah/FahCore_a3 -dir 00 -suffix 01 -version 703 -lifeline 26131 -checkpoint 15 -np 4
02:19:48:WU00:FS00:Started FahCore on PID 26155
02:19:48:WU00:FS00:Core PID:26159
02:19:48:WU00:FS00:FahCore 0xa3 started
02:19:48:WARNING:WU00:FS00:FahCore returned: FAILED_3 (255 = 0xff)
02:19:49:WU00:FS00:Starting
02:19:49:WU00:FS00:Running FahCore: /usr/bin/FAHCoreWrapper /home/grumpus/folding/cores/www.stanford.edu/~pande/Linux/x86/Core_a3.fah/FahCore_a3 -dir 00 -suffix 01 -version 703 -lifeline 26131 -checkpoint 15 -np 4
02:19:49:WU00:FS00:Started FahCore on PID 26164
02:19:49:WU00:FS00:Core PID:26168
02:19:49:WU00:FS00:FahCore 0xa3 started
02:19:49:WARNING:WU00:FS00:FahCore returned: FAILED_3 (255 = 0xff)
bollix47
Folder@Home

Post by bollix47 »

You must have a link to the old forum. Try foldingforum.org

Here are a few threads with the Failed_3 message.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thanks for the links, I figured there was some deliberate movement towards the 64 bit only.
Overclocking is on autopilot and not set to extremes.
Memory is not an issue (32GB) no faults or failure.
Power at 750W and nothing heavy running.
Graphics is on board and stable.
It's just the 32 bit packages are not loading and the server keeps trying to load the 64 bit core.
Unlikely the 64 bit package will run on this machine under the 32 bit OS.
Maybe later on when I update I'll setup a 64bit OS and continue, timing of these issues at inopportune moments when I have little time to fiddle with it.
Thanks anyway.
MultiMrWeb

Post by MultiMrWeb »

i joined.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Just started again with http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org -- they have now a client for Android too, in addition to Windows, Linux and Mac. Seems I am still a member of team "mozillazine" there -- since 2005! :)
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
cesarsalgado
Folder@Home

Post by cesarsalgado »

A new way to fold, although (right now) it is only available for Google Chrome users: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/addin ... e-browser/

Subforum: https://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=95
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

"Right Now" means only for. It uses Google's ActiveX tech called NaCl.
Mori 2

Post by Mori 2 »

Hi,

I joined the team. The next milestone to reach is for me 6,000,000 points.
Last edited by Mori 2 on March 2nd, 2017, 1:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Linux Ubuntu-Mate 16.04.1 LTS (x86_64)
Trubo_XL

Post by Trubo_XL »

Wow ok mods... If mention the OT word I will get lock away... so yeah... I only just want to get some idea how and what it this all about... Not offense... :(

Anyway, anyone able to set up F@H software on a Linux system? I am using Fedora 23 so dependency problem (Python 2.7 installed, F@H needs 2.6) with RPM package...

I currently using CLI one...
Using GPU is also a problem with nouveau driver...

And the F@H Mozillazine seems to be part of the Mozilllazine blog has been closed down?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Dude, you got locked away because you posted something stupid dude.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Trubo_XL wrote:
Anyway, anyone able to set up F@H software on a Linux system? I am using Fedora 23 so dependency problem (Python 2.7 installed, F@H needs 2.6) with RPM package...
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/
Linux
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/ ... all-guide/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"