MSE AV?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
praxiseffect

Re: MSE AV?

Post by praxiseffect »

Davezilla17 wrote:
praxiseffect wrote:well my enjoyment of MSE was short lived. I removed it because it messed with Windows Update - Windows Update would run and slow my computer down so much that Windows Update wouldn't run, Windows would freeze up/be sluggish and I couldn't run any of my programs for about 30 minutes. It was so disruptive, I had to get rid of MSE.

So I can't go back to Avast! with what it does to Firefox, so I guess i'm still looking for an AV. :(

That's a shame. Have a look at these.

Avira i was recommended but, i've heard that:
1. scans are slow
2. The nagging ad every 24 hours
3. updates take too long
4. uninstalling it is nigh on impossible

McAfee is available via my cable company, but it did not stop a nasty virus from ruining a friend's computer

Panda Cloud I heard was good, but it really slows down a system.

AVG Free was on this computer, but I can no longer find the install program and the AVG website is so confusing that I cannot find the install to AVG Free anymore.

Man, I just want an AV that works.
Davezilla17

Post by Davezilla17 »

praxiseffect wrote:

Avira i was recommended but, i've heard that:
1. scans are slow
2. The nagging ad every 24 hours
3. updates take too long
4. uninstalling it is nigh on impossible

I've never used it so it's difficult to have an opinion on it. Comodo is supposed to be good.

praxiseffect wrote:McAfee is available via my cable company, but it did not stop a nasty virus from ruining a friend's computer

I got McAfee NetProtect Plus with my ISP (British Telecom). I honestly thought that it was OK, it was just way too heavy for my laptop. My brother is a software engineer & he rates it highly, although he admits it is heavy.

praxiseffect wrote:Panda Cloud I heard was good, but it really slows down a system.

Watch out for the false-positives! :shock:

praxiseffect wrote:AVG Free was on this computer, but I can no longer find the install program and the AVG website is so confusing that I cannot find the install to AVG Free anymore.

Well, this is a British page for AVG so I am not sure if it will work for you.

praxiseffect wrote:Man, I just want an AV that works.

Have you totally uninstalled all trace of previous AVs? Are you running anything in realtime that is causing problems? I believe that there is an AVG removal tool, it may be wise to download that & run it, just to make sure.
SeaMonkey ~ A sane browser in an insane world.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!
praxiseffect

Post by praxiseffect »

I downloaded the removal tools for AVG and Avast when I respectively deleted them both off my system. MSE left no trace at all on my system. Nothing else runs in real time.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Strange that many rather smart folks around here recommend and use Avast........with no problems. :-k
@ Why does it have to be free?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
praxiseffect

Post by praxiseffect »

mightyglydd wrote:Strange that many rather smart folks around here recommend and use Avast........with no problems. :-k
@ Why does it have to be free?

Because I have no money.

Avast! was indeed the cause of that problem I was having. I still "have" it on and off here (a page will load for 10-15 seconds more on google-analytics and whatnot), but it doesn't hang forever like it was before. I'm very surprised and unhappy that it was Avast! cause that problem and that MSE, my intended replacement, gave me another problem with Windows Update.

So now I have no antivirus, as Avira looks to have alot of complaints about it and AVG doesn't seem to have a free version anymore (i'm not sure if free.avg.com is an avg site...)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Oh well................Image
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
praxiseffect

Post by praxiseffect »

I reinstalled AVG from CNET, lets see if that give me any problems.

it seems as if my music/sound doesn't sound all too right to me right now after throwing AVG on, but that might just be my imagination.

I'll put Avast! on my laptop for a week and see if that works for me there, then i'll try MSE, then i'll just put AVG on there as a last resort. And if that doesn't work McAfee. And if that doesn't work, i'll attempt that WOT/No Script/Ad Blocker combo i was talking about and hope none of my trusted sites get hacked by bored Russian teenagers :wink:
Davezilla17

Post by Davezilla17 »

praxiseffect wrote: i'll attempt that WOT/No Script/Ad Blocker combo i was talking about and hope none of my trusted sites get hacked by bored Russian teenagers :wink:

A/ I would seriously consider the WOT/NoScript/ABP combo anyway. It works for me. I would also consider SpywareBlaster as well.

B/ All Russian teenagers are bored potential hackers.

C/ FYI~ MSE = 13.4 MB, McAfee = 149 MB.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!
praxiseffect

Post by praxiseffect »

Davezilla17 wrote:C/ FYI~ MSE = 13.4 MB, McAfee = 149 MB.

and that's why McAfee is my last option for my laptop before the "just Malwarebytes and WOT/Adblock/NoScript" (looks like I got rid of NS last week, though and I just have Adblock and that SafeSearch thing AVG provides which is like a lesser version of WOT/SiteAdvisor. Huh.)
Davezilla17

Post by Davezilla17 »

praxiseffect wrote:
Davezilla17 wrote:C/ FYI~ MSE = 13.4 MB, McAfee = 149 MB.

and that's why McAfee is my last option for my laptop before the "just Malwarebytes and WOT/Adblock/NoScript" (looks like I got rid of NS last week, though and I just have Adblock and that SafeSearch thing AVG provides which is like a lesser version of WOT/SiteAdvisor. Huh.)

Actually I think McBloaty is more like 200 MB! Do you have Windows Defender fired up?

And there's BitDefender QuickScan for Firefox.

Windows Defender

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!
praxiseffect

Post by praxiseffect »

I'm on my laptop now and i've installed Avast! on it. I hope i don't get that problem I had on my other computer with it. I really like Avast!, but if I get this problem again, off to AVG I go, I guess.
Davezilla17

Post by Davezilla17 »

Good luck!

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Wife's Asus eee runs windows Xp, she has had it for 2 yrs no problems so far.

I put Spyblaster, MS Security Essentials, Firefox+Noscript+Adblock, and a hosts file on it. Other than that I haven't had to touch it and she hasn't had any problems.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list
rickenjohny

Post by rickenjohny »

Personally, I use the micro and small enterprises, because it provides a lightweight basic AV products. It is based on the protection of the process of signing more than some of the more advanced payment products, see the script in the behavior of heuristics
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You are posting to an old thread. Locking.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."