Just a Question -Wondering

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
LordStriker

Just a Question -Wondering

Post by LordStriker »

Hi Guys!

I'd like to ask about a newly implementation, a change which took place in Opera 11 alpha.

The Developers have disabled entirely the Address-Bar Icon...

Image Image

They claim is anti-spoofing parameter and to be honest I've heard about Privacy issues, too.

Anyway, I'd like your opinion... A General opinion. I know that I can disable "browser.chrome.site_icons" but this also disables the Tab's icons... So, not appropriate.

Are there serious allegations bases? Am I in "danger"?

P.S Again, sorry for my bad English. I accept it without reservations! In my school years they were learning us French -Totally Failure! hahaha! :P :P
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
the-edmeister

Re: Just a Question -Wondering

Post by the-edmeister »

How is that related to Firefox Builds support?

It looks like Opera moved the security lock to the left, replacing the website icon. Previous versions of Opera displayed that "lock" in a yellow field on the right-side of the URL bar. It looks to me that thy are cleaning up the UI in the URL bar by combining elements that were separate in the past. Keep in mind that I am using Opera 10.63 and don't have that new beta installed, so I am speculating what's going on based upon your screen shots.

Looks like Firefox 4 is doing away with that "lock" altogether, I haven't seen it since the Statusbar was removed.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to Tech
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

Opera 11 just disabled entirely the Address-Bar Icon. The "Site Icon" there is only on each Tab. The "Fav Icon" left as is.

The point as they claim is that having Address-Bar Icon isn't safe. The "bad guys" may be fooling us ( spoofing ) through that. Also I'd like to know if there are privacy issues as I heard before...

Just asking/wondering...

P.S Really sorry about my bad decision to create the topic in wrong section. I've bookmark the "builds" section and didn't think about at all ( came here directly, like there aren't other sections )
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

LordStriker wrote:Hi Guys!

I'd like to ask about a newly implementation, a change which took place in Opera 11 alpha.

The Developers have disabled entirely the Address-Bar Icon...

Image Image

They claim is anti-spoofing parameter and to be honest I've heard about Privacy issues, too.

Anyway, I'd like your opinion... A General opinion. I know that I can disable "browser.chrome.site_icons" but this also disables the Tab's icons... So, not appropriate.

Are there serious allegations bases? Am I in "danger"?

P.S Again, sorry for my bad English. I accept it without reservations! In my school years they were learning us French -Totally Failure! hahaha! :P :P

Well actually, this makes a good deal of sense form a security anti-spoofing perspective.

The Site Icon is easily copied by anyone and is yet another visual clue that can be used by phishing sites to make it appear that you are at the legitimate site.

I am really hard pressed to come up with a useful purpose for displaying it.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

The rationale is that safe/unsafe makes a lot more sense than displaying http vs. https (the latter of which could easily give a false sense of security). That's just an attempt at simplifying the interface. The favicon just kind of goes with that. I'm not too thrilled about how it completely hides things like http, https, ftp, and what not from me, but it's not the worst. The fact that it hides the query string, on the other hand, is something I hope they'll reverse ASAP. Right now if only displays forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php, for instance.

I am really hard pressed to come up with a useful purpose for displaying it.
If you've got the tabbar disabled it'll show you the icons so you can use them as easy identification while using Ctrl+Tab. If you see them for the "first time" while using Ctrl+Tab that'll be less useful. Imo the key is configurability, and the addressbar is rather lacking in that respect compared to the rest of Opera.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.