internet f*@*^:? explorer

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

First thing I'm going to do when I get XP is to uninstall the Messenger. Then Outlook Express. Two security holes gone.
gorn

Post by gorn »

you guys may find this interesting:

http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/index ... eadid=7511

(it's a linux forum but this is about windows)
Dunt Dun Duh...
GoRN To The Rescue,
Yet Again!
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

hao2lian wrote:First thing I'm going to do when I get XP is to uninstall the Messenger.

Which you'll be glad to know is impossible without special programs (if they even exist)...
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

edit C:\WINNT\INF\SYSOC.INF and remove "hide" from between the commas.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
ClaudioG

Re: internet f*@*^:? explorer

Post by ClaudioG »

DeltaGuy wrote:
ClaudioG wrote:
Skippy wrote:Since I switched to Mozilla Firebird and Thunderbird I have been having a wierd popup problem. I get popups even when I'm not online...well...I'm kinda always online with a cable hookup...

You may be receiving those popups through a different service, namely the "Messenger" service (by default it's on in Windows NT and later).
If you are not protected by a firewall those services must be stopped and set to disabled.

Ciao!

Messenger on Windows XP is called Windows Messenger and based on MSN Messenger...
I don't give it access to the internet anyway, because I don't use it...

I was not referring to MSN messenger, but the SMB (NetBios) Messenger service, that's part of any release of Windows NT and later.
It's basically a popup style messaging service, tha can be used to send network alert on a corporate network ("net send" on the command line explains).

It's quite common here in Italy, that the service is exploited for sending annoying popus while browsing.

Bye!
Ciao, Claudio
MCSA, MCSE
Fasse

Post by Fasse »

Claudio is right. If you are using XP then you must stop the Messenger - Service.
Go to "Control Panel" and then to "Administration" and click on "Services". Now a new dialog shows all the installed services. Search for the "Messenger Service" and stop it with a right click.

I hope that I used the correct english-names, but I have a german - windows - version.

Bye
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Best thing is not only to stop it, but giving also "manual" insted of "automatic" in the startup options (right click -> Properties)
..::XF::..

Re: internet f*@*^:? explorer

Post by Guest »

Stefan wrote:
DeltaGuy wrote:While you could have uninstalled Outlook Express, uninstalling Internet Explorer is impossible on a Windows System due to its high level of integration with the Windows Operating System...

Plenty of tools out there that will rip out IE from your OS.

actually they only appear to remove it. A lot of the libraries that IE is based on are part of the OS. It may remove iexplore.exe, and a few registry entries, but IE is still there.
Z_God

Post by Z_God »

I believe all NTs contain a firewall by default that rejects or drops everything. Make sure that is enabled in the connection settings.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

Fasse wrote:Claudio is right. If you are using XP then you must stop the Messenger - Service.
Go to "Control Panel" and then to "Administration" and click on "Services". Now a new dialog shows all the installed services. Search for the "Messenger Service" and stop it with a right click.

I hope that I used the correct english-names, but I have a german - windows - version.

Almost correct...
You don't have to go into the Control Panel...
There's a menu of Administrative Tools directly under the Control Panel Link in the Start Menu...
syborg

Post by syborg »

Don't use spybot, it is spyware itself and will remove files that shouldn't be removed. Just read CNets user reviews. Use adaware and a really good program is PestPatrol. www.pestpatrol.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030903 Firebird/0.6.1+aebrahim
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

syborg wrote:Don't use spybot, it is spyware itself and will remove files that shouldn't be removed. Just read CNets user reviews.

That's interesting because C|NET user reviews has also called Firebird spyware and I haven't experienced that yet on SpyBot.
syborg

Post by syborg »

I'm tempted to try Spybot. The specs. on the homepage look pretty good, and as for Cnets user reviews, I don't believe everything I read. Sometimes you just gotta try it out and see for yourself [-o<

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030903 Firebird/0.6.1+aebrahim
You never know how much you know until you know how little you know! One never knows, does one!
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

The cool things it has over Adaware are the Immunize feature and the shredder. Everything else I don't use.
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

I use both Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D...When used in tandem, they work great :)

I like Ad-aware because it's updated often and is <B>very</B> fast when scanning :D

I like SpyBot S&D because of its extra features, namely:
  • Immunize (kinda pointless when I rarely use IE now ;)),
  • Hosts file (great when you don't already have one, and better once a few custom entries are added :badgrin:), and
  • System startup (I can see what's loaded on system startup, and disable unnecessary entries to speed things up :D).