Sigh.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Radiowriter wrote:
Hooded One wrote:Didn't you just recently get a router that you could hook up the laptop to though?

A router is what I was thinking, too. Get a wireless one and get a card for the laptop. They'll love the fact that they can "compute" on the couch and you lose nothing but a few (more) bucks. I bet you could do it for less than a hundred and make everyone happy. Hey, make THEM pay for the equipment.

The only problem with wireless, as I found out, is the lack of speed (for LAN). I often have to copy a huge file from one machine to another. What would take less than a minute with 100 Mbps (wired) takes more than 15 minutes with 11 Mbps (802.11b).
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

Yeah, but I figured they wouldn't be transferring files between machines. For Internet sharing alone, it would be perfect.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Radiowriter wrote:Yeah, but I figured they wouldn't be transferring files between machines. For Internet sharing alone, it would be perfect.

That is true. A workaround to the slow LAN speed is to use a wireless Ethernet bridge and connect it to a hub, then connect your multiple machines to the hub. This way, the machines connecting to this hub will be able to communicate with one another over the wired (i.e. fast) network. But of course, this requires that those machines be physically close to each other, which all but beats the purpose of wireless LAN... :oops:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)