Sigh.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Jack

Sigh.

Post by Jack »

Well, I tried out Libranet Linux yesterday, made it the sole OS, etc., etc. But the CD mounting was extremely flaky and didn't work more often than it did. Plus, those that I graciously let use my system (since they're cheap bastards and refuse to get their own ISP account since I have DSL), bitched and moaned all night last night about the absense of IE and / or about OpenOffice, which they hated. Despite my telling them that it's my room, my $3,000 computer system, and my $40 a month telephone line, and my $40 a month DSL, they still insisted on bitching to the point that I gave up and wiped Linux off and re-installed Windows 2000. :(

They really get on my nerves sometimes. I offered to give them my laptop, but they absolutely *refuse* to get their own ISP account, since they feel they are entitled to my DSL.

Jack
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

I don't know about you, but if somebody didn't like how my machine was configured, I'd be telling them to stick it.

This is, of course, assuming they could get their paws on it in the first place!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Hendikins wrote:I don't know about you, but if somebody didn't like how my machine was configured, I'd be telling them to stick it.

This is, of course, assuming they could get their paws on it in the first place!

I thought about something along those lines, but it's very difficult when they happen to live with you. I share a house with three, sometimes four, other people...

Jack
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Jack Comics wrote:
Hendikins wrote:I don't know about you, but if somebody didn't like how my machine was configured, I'd be telling them to stick it.

I thought about something along those lines, but it's very difficult when they happen to live with you. I share a house with three, sometimes four, other people...

That's not the point. You own the gear, you should be free to configure it in any way you see fit.
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

I'd have just let them deal with Linux. They'd see the light eventually. Or buy their own stuff.
Das beste für die Leute. Das beste für die Masse. Das beste für die Welt.
<a href="http://www.sharkshack.tk">The Shark Shack</a>
My butt is lumpy. How 'bout yours?
Jeff_pony

Re: Sigh.

Post by Jeff_pony »

Jack Comics wrote:Well, I tried out Libranet Linux yesterday, made it the sole OS, etc., etc. But the CD mounting was extremely flaky and didn't work more often than it did. Plus, those that I graciously let use my system (since they're cheap bastards and refuse to get their own ISP account since I have DSL), bitched and moaned all night last night about the absense of IE and / or about OpenOffice, which they hated. Despite my telling them that it's my room, my $3,000 computer system, and my $40 a month telephone line, and my $40 a month DSL, they still insisted on bitching to the point that I gave up and wiped Linux off and re-installed Windows 2000. :(

They really get on my nerves sometimes. I offered to give them my laptop, but they absolutely *refuse* to get their own ISP account, since they feel they are entitled to my DSL.

Jack

Man if they can't use a computer without I.E and Office it a wonder they can function in life....
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jeff_pony wrote:Man if they can't use a computer without I.E and Office it a wonder they can function in life....

Tell me about it... I've tried getting them to switch to Mozilla, even "disguised" Mozilla with using an IE theme, but they kept complaining, saying it was slow, didn't work like IE, etc. So I installed NetCaptor instead, which is a shell for IE but with tabs, and a pop-up blocker. They've mostly accepted it, but I still get complaints that pop-ups open up in tabs instead of... well... pop-ups. Go figure.

They all have computers at work, and use them extensively. Of course, they're all running Windows with IE and MS Office, and since they're like that at work, they assume that all "good" computers should be set up just like that, with IE and MS Office. As much as I try talking and explaining it to them, they just don't get that a) IE is bad, and b) it's my damned computer to begin with.

Jack
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Download a systems locker/protector/whatever and set a password on your system. Refuse to let them use your computer for a week. See how they like it.
amr

Post by amr »

Jack Comics wrote:They really get on my nerves sometimes. I offered to give them my laptop, but they absolutely *refuse* to get their own ISP account, since they feel they are entitled to my DSL.

Resell your DSL to them by way of offering to forgo paying for groceries and stuff to afford the DSL subscription. Or tell them the ISP raised the rates, and if you don't get the equivelant of $79.95 a month, then you'll lose the DSL.

What would they do for Internet if you moved out, I wonder? :shock:
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

hao2lian wrote:Download a systems locker/protector/whatever and set a password on your system. Refuse to let them use your computer for a week. See how they like it.

Now don't be mean...
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

DeltaGuy wrote:
hao2lian wrote:Download a systems locker/protector/whatever and set a password on your system. Refuse to let them use your computer for a week. See how they like it.

Now don't be mean...

I don't know how they are related to Jack, but I agree with hao2lian this time... they just don't deserve his hospitality. How about giving each of them a dumb terminal so they can use Lynx and ytalk? :twisted:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

That would be te funniest thing. Set up a camera behind and from the side. Capture their reactions.
Das beste für die Leute. Das beste für die Masse. Das beste für die Welt.
<a href="http://www.sharkshack.tk">The Shark Shack</a>
My butt is lumpy. How 'bout yours?
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

Don't need a special program to lock a Win2K or XP system (probably NT as well, now that I think about it). On XP you can just hit WinKey+L but I think it's slightly different for 2K.

Personally, that's what I'd do anyway -- I'd never let anybody use my computer willy nilly.

Didn't you just recently get a router that you could hook up the laptop to though?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Hooded One wrote:Don't need a special program to lock a Win2K or XP system (probably NT as well, now that I think about it). On XP you can just hit WinKey+L but I think it's slightly different for 2K.

Win2K doesn't have that nice shortcut. <Alt + Ctrl + Delete> and <Alt + K> will do.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

Hooded One wrote:Didn't you just recently get a router that you could hook up the laptop to though?

A router is what I was thinking, too. Get a wireless one and get a card for the laptop. They'll love the fact that they can "compute" on the couch and you lose nothing but a few (more) bucks. I bet you could do it for less than a hundred and make everyone happy. Hey, make THEM pay for the equipment.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP