A crazy thought I had to increase my network speed

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

Shoot. It sounded like, "I am not very sharp."
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

2.4ghz cordless phones are banned in Indonesia, for the possibility to interfere with the satellite's signals (I thought satellite's signals are around 2.6ghz), go figure. I'm using 802.11b wireless at home (which can't be used on Indonesia, again, for using the 2.4ghz frequency) and cordless phone, and it never interfere with the network, I think.

But how on earth you can gain 10mpbs + 54 mpbs by connecting between ethernet and wireless connection?
I'm weird, damn
nilson

Post by nilson »

I don't know. I could see if it was 2 100MB/s lines, becuase you could send half of a kilobyte each wa, but here, since one is slower, you'll have lag and one packet'll have to wait on the other (if only for a fraction of a milisecond).
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

daihard wrote:
nilson wrote:
daihard wrote:Three of our close neighbours are with Comcast. I should encourage them to switch to DSL. ;)

So you can get more speed ?

Yes, of course. And more consistently. :mrgreen:

I switched to comcast, and am getting 2.4Mbps!!

Guess everyone else in the apartment uses the sh*tty interquest service.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

wheerdam wrote:2.4ghz cordless phones are banned in Indonesia, for the possibility to interfere with the satellite's signals (I thought satellite's signals are around 2.6ghz), go figure. I'm using 802.11b wireless at home (which can't be used on Indonesia, again, for using the 2.4ghz frequency) and cordless phone, and it never interfere with the network, I think.

Hmmm... not having a 2.4-GHz cordless phone, I can't test it here. But I'm pretty sure it would interfere with 802.11b since they use the exact same frequency. Oh well, theory's just theory... :oops:
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

daihard wrote:Hmmm... not having a 2.4-GHz cordless phone, I can't test it here. But I'm pretty sure it would interfere with 802.11b since they use the exact same frequency. Oh well, theory's just theory... :oops:

I know why, my cordless phone doesn't use 2.4 Ghz frequency :lol:, I think. I'll check it out later, now I have to go to school.
I'm weird, damn
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

nilson wrote:I don't know. I could see if it was 2 100MB/s lines, becuase you could send half of a kilobyte each wa, but here, since one is slower, you'll have lag and one packet'll have to wait on the other (if only for a fraction of a milisecond).

That wat I was thinking. Most woud be going out the Ethernet line. But some could flow through wireless.
Das beste für die Leute. Das beste für die Masse. Das beste für die Welt.
<a href="http://www.sharkshack.tk">The Shark Shack</a>
My butt is lumpy. How 'bout yours?
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

Just tried it with my home router. Transferring a bunch of files over the network.

40% usage of my 11Mbps wireless connection.
.25% of the 100Mbps ethernet connection.

It only likes one at a time. Phoowey.

Just started some downloads and the eth jumped to 2%. 2Mbps. Thats the comcast cable... Maybe it has some usefullness afterall...

Both have different IP addresses. I'd have to get passed that to have both work on the same thing...But sepearate files would work. As long as they both don't go through something that would bottleneck.
Das beste für die Leute. Das beste für die Masse. Das beste für die Welt.
<a href="http://www.sharkshack.tk">The Shark Shack</a>
My butt is lumpy. How 'bout yours?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

sharkius wrote:Just tried it with my home router. Transferring a bunch of files over the network.

40% usage of my 11Mbps wireless connection.
.25% of the 100Mbps ethernet connection.

It only likes one at a time. Phoowey.

Might as well get a gigabit ethernet card... ;)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
netdragon

Re: A crazy thought I had to increase my network speed

Post by netdragon »

sharkius wrote:Right now, I have two ways of connecting to a LAN. The standard 10/100 Ethernet port. And the spiffy internal 54g wireless. Well, you could include the firewire port, but who actually has a network to utilize that. So we got Ethernet and 54g. Now. If I were to connect to the LAN through the wireless, and through the Ethernet, could I utilize both of them to get a 64 Mbit connection? 54 Mbit wireless + 10 Mbit Ethernet = 64 Mbit. I can't find my spare cat5, so I can't test it. Not really expecting it to work. At home I'd still be limited by the cable modem, as well. But I would have my little 3 computer LAN to go on, then there comes college...

You can bridge connections, I believe.

Still, you will get more miles if you replace your four conductor Cat-5 cables with 8 conductor (4 pair) cables to get 100Mbit theoretical bandwidth. Better yet, get Cat-5e and follow strict cabling guidelines and do neat punch-downs and crimping (if you are skilled enough to do a proper crimp) or use only punch-downs and patch cables. Do not run near electrical cables except at 90 degress (then you won't get induction), and don't run near coax.

For your wireless, you'll want to try to pick a place in your house without a lot of interference. Some places will be better than others.

Was that 25% or .25%

BTW: I have gotten pretty damned close to 100Mbit of true bandwidth on a transfer before (12.5 MB). When you are going to give this a try, you better have Ultra ATA.
Last edited by netdragon on September 5th, 2003, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free yourself from the illusion. The heart of a dragon is pure love, honor and truth. The dragon's power is meant to protect the weak and uphold love and honor.