Processor Speeds can cause crashing?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Jeff_pony

Processor Speeds can cause crashing?

Post by Jeff_pony »

So yeah my new system works fine when the processor uses a front side bus of 100Mhz but if I push it any higher the syste, crashes when I get into windows. The thing is that the processor is a Athlon XP 2500, but at the moment is running as a Athlon 1100 which is way below its threshold. What could the likley cause of this crashing be? Is it that the memory might not be upto that speed? Or something else....
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Don't know if this still is the case, but with my 1.33GHz Thunderbird you needed to set the bus to 133MHz or else it would run at the default (100MHz) and post a clock speed of 1GHz. My guess is that somewhere in your manual it should tell you the proper speed to set your bus to. My guess would be 166MHz, but I could be mistaken.
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

yep check your bios and higher the front bus speed, that will make you cpu run at its max ghz... if there isnt an option to do this in your bios then look for a jumper somewhere on your mobo, switch it and the frontbus will be changed.
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Could be a motherboard driver issue.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
jrobbio

Post by jrobbio »

Official Win32 BitTorrent 0.7: here
BT Tracker
- Get the latest Fire/Thunderbird builds
Micha the not so Old

Post by Micha the not so Old »

This can happen if your PSU is not putting out enough amps. I have an 1800 XP running at 1100megs. I know I need a new PSU, this one is 250 watts, but I need at least 300, although I would prefer 400.

MSI motherboards has something about it on their website, although you have to hunt for it. Something about designing PSUs I think, in pdf format.
Micha the not so Old

Post by Micha the not so Old »

Also check which way round the heatsink is attached. There is a ridge that matches the CPU. If it is on the wrong way, there is enough touching to stop it from overheating, but not enough to stop it from crashing, especially in hot weather. Use Aida32 to check the CPU temperature, CPU should be below 40 C, chassis below 35 C.