/me asking for help on Linux RH9

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Pussycat

/me asking for help on Linux RH9

Post by Pussycat »

I just installed linux (yes, I'm a complete n00b on it. I generally am handy with computers though) and have a few questions on it.

Running KDE on Red Hat 9. I got FB to work, but there's a lot of things I don't yet understand.

*) Where are my other hard drives? I have lots of partitions, some are fat32, but they don't show up anywhere (exept in the partition manager).
*) Where should I install programs? The ones I installed, I put in /home/. Is that considered good?
*) What mp3 player should I use? I just want something like winamp2, simple and effective.

and a lot of other things I don't really remember now.

But this'd be a nice start. Thanks if you'll help me.
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: /me asking for help on Linux RH9

Post by daihard »

Pussycat wrote:*) Where are my other hard drives? I have lots of partitions, some are fat32, but they don't show up anywhere (exept in the partition manager).

It depends upon where you mounted them. Unless you configured /etc/fstab to mount your non-system partitions automatically, they have to be mounted manually.

Pussycat wrote:*) Where should I install programs? The ones I installed, I put in /home/. Is that considered good?

No. "/home" is usually the directory that holds user-specific subdirectories. If you're the only one who uses the program, you should install it under your home directory (/home/<your_username>). If the program is to be shared among multiple users, install it under /usr/local (as root, of course).

Pussycat wrote:*) What mp3 player should I use? I just want something like winamp2, simple and effective.

XMMS. Remember, though, that you need to download an add-on from their Web site in order to play mp3 music. Starting with 8, RH no longer bundles the mp3 playback capability of XMMS due to some legal issues.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Pussycat

Post by Pussycat »

daihard wrote:
Pussycat wrote:*) Where are my other hard drives? I have lots of partitions, some are fat32, but they don't show up anywhere (exept in the partition manager).

It depends upon where you mounted them. Unless you configured /etc/fstab to mount your non-system partitions automatically, they have to be mounted manually.

And how do I do that?
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

I'm a Linux newbie to so me giving advice is a bit like the blind leading the blind. On mandrake 9.1 other devices and partitions (such as Windows) are at /mnt/ I play MP3's with the Xmms/ X multimedia system. I hope they have it or something similar on Red Hat. As for where to install programs, in theory you should install them as root but it's a pain to switch users if you're downloading a nightly every day so I install the things you only do once (Thunderbird, java, realplayer, Limewire) in /usr/lib but Firebird I put where it lands every night, /home/andy/MozillaFirebird
Pussycat

Post by Pussycat »

In My /mnt/, there's just cdrom (=the first cdrom), cdrom1 (=the second cdrom) and the disk drive
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Pussycat wrote:
daihard wrote:It depends upon where you mounted them. Unless you configured /etc/fstab to mount your non-system partitions automatically, they have to be mounted manually.

And how do I do that?

You can mount devices using KDE Control Center. Go to Information --> Block Devices, select the device to mount, right-click, and choose "Mount device." If your partition is not on the list, you may need to run the "mount" command from the terminal window (such as konsole). Open konsole and type "man mount" to get the detailed information about the mount command.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)