Linux e-mail client

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
David James

Post by David James »

daihard wrote:
Johann_P wrote:I never really tried this but in KMail you can go to Settings->Configure POP3 filters where you can configure the actions "download", "download later" and "delete from server" based on all kinds of filter rules, including age in days. Seems to be exactly what is needed here.

Wow, I totally missed that one. I'd find it more intuitive to be able to set up the age-based download/deletion inside "Configure KMail --> Network," but it's surely better than not having the feature. :)

KMail has a very extensive and well-developed filtering system, so a lot of things that you might "expect" to find elsewhere can be created through the use of filters. This helps keep the app size down. It does make implementing bayesian spam filters a bit of a chore though, which is about the only reason I use Thunderbird rather than KMail for downloading email.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Radiowriter wrote:Since I posted my original suggestion (Evolution), I decided to give kmail a try (out of respect for daihard's opinions). I realized that I don't really use Evolution's calendar app and that I have to have the Mozilla Suite installed to use it (why the hell IS that, anyway?).

Oh gosh, I feel flattered and honoured. I like KMail a lot. Hope you will, too. :)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Ashitaka
Location: This is certainly a nifty trick. I wish I could put some HTML code here.

Post by Ashitaka »

[quote="daihard"]That's your site, isn't it? ;) Just curious... is it ˆ°
(;´Д`) nani kore? ヽ(´ー`)ノ .sig desu yo!
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

[quote="Ashitaka"][quote="daihard"]That's your site, isn't it? ;) Just curious... is it ˆ°
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

Gort wrote:Sylpheed-claws has the feature you want (delete from server after a set amount of days). It's a good email client that's light on resources yet quite powerful. You can get it here.

My problem with Sylpheed-claws was that it couldn't display pictures and if I wanted to open a link in my browser, I had to copy and paste the link, and to copy it, I had to highlight it, and click on Edit...Copy... in the toolbar... Too Long...
Gort

Post by Gort »

DeltaGuy wrote:
Gort wrote:Sylpheed-claws has the feature you want (delete from server after a set amount of days). It's a good email client that's light on resources yet quite powerful. You can get it here.

My problem with Sylpheed-claws was that it couldn't display pictures and if I wanted to open a link in my browser, I had to copy and paste the link, and to copy it, I had to highlight it, and click on Edit...Copy... in the toolbar... Too Long...

Of course it can display images, you click on the image's icon to view it. Also, I have no problems opening links within Sylpheed-claws with my browser... just double-click the URL. I think you ought to go to the preferences and change the settings next time, if there ever is to be one.
willll

Post by willll »

Mozilla Mail has the feature you want as of today, but in your case, you'll have to wait for 1.6.1 to try it out.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

Gort wrote:
DeltaGuy wrote:

Of course it can display images, you click on the image's icon to view it. Also, I have no problems opening links within Sylpheed-claws with my browser... just double-click the URL. I think you ought to go to the preferences and change the settings next time, if there ever is to be one.

Are you on windows or linux?
Gort

Post by Gort »

DeltaGuy wrote:
Gort wrote:Of course it can display images, you click on the image's icon to view it. Also, I have no problems opening links within Sylpheed-claws with my browser... just double-click the URL. I think you ought to go to the preferences and change the settings next time, if there ever is to be one.

Are you on windows or linux?

I use both, although mostly Linux. When on Linux, I use Sylpheed-claws. When using Win2k, I use Becky!. There, covered both eventualities. ;)