IDEA! Open 3rd-party word processing format to nail M$!

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
netdragon

IDEA! Open 3rd-party word processing format to nail M$!

Post by netdragon »

I have an idea :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

We have M$ Office and their stupid .doc format. I recommend that we come up with a 3rd-party word processing format, get Borland, Open Office, Star Office, and Lotus, to accept it. Then we write a free plugin for Office to allow you to export and import these files into Word!

What would you get? Microsoft sabotage!!!!

There would be NO way for Microsoft to hold their Office application monopoly in the face of that!

We'd need to do it for powerpoint and excel too.
Free yourself from the illusion. The heart of a dragon is pure love, honor and truth. The dragon's power is meant to protect the weak and uphold love and honor.
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

Well, we need to get people together to do this, sort of "Cross Platform Document Consortium" (much like W3C). But this kind of thing will effectively limit competition to the word processing market, though, since everyone needs to use the same standards and features. But down to .doc files!!!
I'm weird, damn
Allenz

Post by Allenz »

If you can write and maintain the currency of such a plug in, good luck. It seems one of the failings of Lotus Ami Pro was that it couldn't keep up with Word and the current formats.
willll

Post by willll »

You mean like <a href="http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php">OASIS</a>?
MagicT

Post by MagicT »

Yeaah, it seems to be happening, at least the first part. Both OpenOffice and Koffice will AFAIK use oasis as their standard file format. If WordPerfect would jump on the wagon as well, all major non-MS Office suites would follow the same standard. Now, if they can get an oasis plug-in to work on MS Office, then everything would be golden indeed.

In my view, this is also the direction the EU commision should take in its anti competitive case against MS: Force the company to follow open standards. MS Office should support the oasis standard and IE should accept the standards set by the W3C. These arrangements alone would go a long way in restoring competition in the crucial markets for operating systems and office productivity tools.
netdragon

Post by netdragon »

MagicT wrote:In my view, this is also the direction the EU commision should take in its anti competitive case against MS: Force the company to follow open standards. MS Office should support the oasis standard and IE should accept the standards set by the W3C. These arrangements alone would go a long way in restoring competition in the crucial markets for operating systems and office productivity tools.

Word is that MSIE Win32's rendering engine might be replaced by Tasman. In that case, it might follow standards better than Mozilla.
Free yourself from the illusion. The heart of a dragon is pure love, honor and truth. The dragon's power is meant to protect the weak and uphold love and honor.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

The problem is that monopolists can control the market by doing something. Minorities do not have this option. Even if Microsoft Word directly or indirectly supports some open document format standard, they will probably use TCPA/trusted computing to further tie end users to their software.

The only way to go is for administrations and other entities to setup clear rules what a software must support and allow (e.g. EU-wide regulations requiring the possible use of open-standard formats for citizen-administration communication or communication within administrative entities)
berkut

Post by berkut »

I think the ruling for anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft forces them to open their protocols/standarts, but they are not very eager at doing so. :-s
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

berkut1337 wrote:I think the ruling for anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft forces them to open their protocols/standarts, but they are not very eager at doing so. :-s

I think it does not - have you evidence or proof for this - and what is the exact specification of what "opening standards" means?
willll

Post by willll »

netdragon wrote:Word is that MSIE Win32's rendering engine might be replaced by Tasman. In that case, it might follow standards better than Mozilla.
Where on Earth are you geting that word from? The greys?
hartlandcat

Post by hartlandcat »

And when exactly is Tasman going to replace MSHTML on Win32? Do you mean when IE7 comes out with Longhorn?
Mac OS X Panther :: iBook G4
Ashitaka
Location: This is certainly a nifty trick. I wish I could put some HTML code here.

Re: IDEA! Open 3rd-party word processing format to nail M$!

Post by Ashitaka »

netdragon wrote:I recommend that we come up with a 3rd-party word processing format, get Borland, Open Office, Star Office, and Lotus, to accept it.

Lotus SmartSuite development has been outsourced to India. :( The product is essentially dead.

AbiWord is alive, though, don't forget them.
(;´Д`) nani kore? ヽ(´ー`)ノ .sig desu yo!
WeSaySo

Post by WeSaySo »

willll wrote:
netdragon wrote:Word is that MSIE Win32's rendering engine might be replaced by Tasman. In that case, it might follow standards better than Mozilla.
Where on Earth are you geting that word from? The greys?

Shhh. Don't let facts get in the way of Netdragon.
Ad astra
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Yeah, right...