IBM used a hard coded Program Files directory

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
netdragon

IBM used a hard coded Program Files directory

Post by netdragon »

Now that I moved my "Program Files" directory, I can see what idiots use hard-coded "Program Files" directories. IBM's modem driver did. I swear... Driver developers for hardware have to be the most incompetant programmers in the whole world. They could be replaced with 12 year old script kiddies who'd do a better job.
Free yourself from the illusion. The heart of a dragon is pure love, honor and truth. The dragon's power is meant to protect the weak and uphold love and honor.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Not as bad as HP's multimedia keyboard drivers, which insist on a folder in the root directory. I decided to just forget all those nifty buttons and delete the software. :evil:

Hmm....I wonder if they still send events, though...and if I could use them for custom Firebird bindings... :-k

UPDATE: sweet, they do! Maybe I'll bind one to "Open New Tab".
scragz

Post by scragz »

How did you find what events they were sending? I have an MS Office keyboard with a bunch of buttons that don’t do anything w/out the drivers.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

scragz wrote:How did you find what events they were sending? I have an MS Office keyboard with a bunch of buttons that don’t do anything w/out the drivers.

I haven't checked for the event details yet, I just bound one to "Page Down" in my SuperScroll extension to see if it would work -- and it did.

Unfortunately, though, it turns out all of the extra buttons on my keyboard send the same keycode. I'll have to figure out what's unique about each one, since the keyboard software obviously needs something to tell them apart.

UPDATE: All of the multimedia buttons on my keyboard send an event.keyCode of 255, with no discernible difference in Firebird. It appears that the unique identifier is some nonstandard event attribute that isn't captured by the browser. :(
nilson

Post by nilson »

How do you change where Program Files is at?
GNU/Ben

Post by GNU/Ben »

Cut 'n Paste?
"When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'."
-- Linus Torvalds
Gentoo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041210 Firefox/1.0
nilson

Post by nilson »

You can't do it like My Documents?
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

scragz wrote:How did you find what events they were sending? I have an MS Office keyboard with a bunch of buttons that don’t do anything w/out the drivers.

I have the MS Natural Pro Keyboard. All the little buttons work and I'm glad...
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

nilson wrote:You can't do it like My Documents?

I doubt you can. "My Documents" is a special folder shortcut that by default points to <code>C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\</code>. One of the first things I do when I install 2000/XP is change it so "My Documents" points to <code>D:\usr\dtoyama</code>. I can't stand those "long" file and directory names.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
nilson

Post by nilson »

Yea, my Documents is D:\My Documents.