PDAs...

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

DeltaGuy wrote:I plan on getting a PalmOne Zire 71 in a while...

I like this one because it has a built in MP3 and RealAudio Player and DigiCam...
jareha

Post by jareha »

tolremeno wrote:there's this guy in one of my classes who is always using his pda when i get to class.

Yeah, I'm that guy.

I have a hectic schedule and find my PDA extremely useful. I take all my notes in class on my laptop as well. When transcribing notes to paper if (more like when) I make a mistake, I start over. Basically, I rip out what I'd already written and copy it all down on a fresh new sheet. You could imagine what this has meant for my grades. My favorite feature of my laptop? Backspace.

<< Jonathan
<a href="http://www.deftone.com/blogzilla/">Blogzilla - A Blog About Mozilla</a>
Apple iBook / Mac OS X 10.4.9 / 1GHz G4 1.12GB
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4 (2007-05-15) / Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (2007-06-04)
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

daihard wrote:I tried reading eBook on HP Jornada 548 (or something like that). I first thought it was cool, but I soon got tired of it. It put a lot more stress on my eyes than reading "real" books.

Weird, I can't say that I've noticed any difference between stress levels, though I can easily imagine that there might be for some people.

To answer tolremeno's question, normally I go on over to <a href="http://promo.net/pg/">Project Gutenberg</a> (Currently reading <em>As You Like it</em>) and grab anything that seems interesting.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

MoNkaholic wrote:
daihard wrote:I tried reading eBook on HP Jornada 548 (or something like that). I first thought it was cool, but I soon got tired of it. It put a lot more stress on my eyes than reading "real" books.

Weird, I can't say that I've noticed any difference between stress levels, though I can easily imagine that there might be for some people.

It can very well be just me. My eyesight is very bad. Someone once tried my glasses on and said "Gee, you don't need glasses... you need a dog!"
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

MoNkaholic wrote:

To answer tolremeno's question, normally I go on over to <a href="http://promo.net/pg/">Project Gutenberg</a> (Currently reading <em>As You Like it</em>) and grab anything that seems interesting.

I've never read an eBook...
I once installed Adobe reader on my computer, but soon got rid of it...
Real Books are much nicer...
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

MoNkaholic wrote:To answer tolremeno's question, normally I go on over to <a href="http://promo.net/pg/">Project Gutenberg</a> (Currently reading <em>As You Like it</em>) and grab anything that seems interesting.

you're reading shakespeare on a palm?!? that's too funny.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

tolremeno wrote:
MoNkaholic wrote:To answer tolremeno's question, normally I go on over to <a href="http://promo.net/pg/">Project Gutenberg</a> (Currently reading <em>As You Like it</em>) and grab anything that seems interesting.

you're reading shakespeare on a palm?!? that's too funny.

I'd rather read Richard III... ;)
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

I'm reading Midsummer right now.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

hao2lian wrote:I'm reading Midsummer right now.

I saw its movie a couple of years ago. Calista Flockhart was in it. :)
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

DeltaGuy wrote:I've never read an eBook...
I once installed Adobe reader on my computer, but soon got rid of it...
Real Books are much nicer...

Eh, think of it like a text file (that's what a PDB looks like for the most part), most software can auto-scroll and save your place... so when you turn your palm on, it starts right where you left off.

When jammed into subways or busses during rush hour I find it a lot easier to read off a palm than an actual book, then again who knows... I may just be some sort of freak :).
bthater
Location: i'd tell you, but then i'd have to cut off you head and put it in the safe.

Post by bthater »

i used a visor for years, but my new cell phone has a scheduler in it so that's where everything goes now. has anybody tried one of those dedicated ebook readers?
--

Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
bthater2@netsacpe.net
------------------------------------------------------------------------
old Harry Waldron

Post by old Harry Waldron »

I've looked at these corporately along with wireless technology. PDAs are a good tool for executives and highly mobile individuals.

Personally, I like Desktops the best and PDAs or even laptops are compromised somewhat in performance by miniturization.
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

Wow, I'm kinda surprised at people's responses in this thread; for some reason I expected this was a PDA crowd.

I have owned four PDA's so far, and find them indespensible. I use mine (currently a Sony Clie) as a datebook, address book, todo list, shopping list, jpeg viewer, time waster (i.e., games), unit converter (cm to in, etc), document reader/editor, extension of my money client on my PC, navigator (via maps), password store, alarm clock, and many other things. I do not leave home without it. I have found the more one uses a PDA, the more one will use a PDA. My wife was at first very antagonistic towards getting one, but now that she has it, she loves it.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

WildCelt wrote:I have owned four PDA's so far, and find them indespensible. I use mine (currently a Sony Clie) as a datebook, address book, todo list, shopping list, jpeg viewer, time waster (i.e., games), unit converter (cm to in, etc), document reader/editor, extension of my money client on my PC, navigator (via maps), password store, alarm clock, and many other things. I do not leave home without it. I have found the more one uses a PDA, the more one will use a PDA. My wife was at first very antagonistic towards getting one, but now that she has it, she loves it.

I envy you for being able to make such good use of your PDAs. Hard as I tried, I just couldn't make my PDA part of my life. I told myself how convenient it would be to have everything, from the addressbook to the mp3 player, in such a small device, but in the end, I would always go back to the "traditional" ways.

I am now thinking about buying a Palm phone. It may be a bit bulky, but I feel that I'll find that more useful than a standard PDA.
bthater
Location: i'd tell you, but then i'd have to cut off you head and put it in the safe.

Post by bthater »

daihard wrote:[
I am now thinking about buying a Palm phone. It may be a bit bulky, but I feel that I'll find that more useful than a standard PDA.

hey, then you could post to AD from wherever you are. think of the postcount.:-)
--

Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
bthater2@netsacpe.net
------------------------------------------------------------------------