Least stable version of Windows

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.

Which is the least stable version of Windows?

Windows 95
19%
Windows 95 OSR-2
3%
Windows 98
8%
Windows 98 SE
4%
Windows ME
60%
Windows XP
6%

Total votes: 72

old Harry Waldron

Post by old Harry Waldron »

For me, NT 4, W/2000, XP, W/2003, and Red Hat 7-8 versions have all been as solid as the Rock of Gilbralta ... No system or application crashes for me in many years of using the NT and Linux OS's :)

In fact, even good old W/98 at home is rock solid. I only blue screen or lockup once in a while when trying to backup to an external vintage CD-R (HP 7200) and I even recover fine from this.
hartlandcat

Post by hartlandcat »

harrywaldron wrote:For me, NT 4, W/2000, XP, W/2003, and Red Hat 7-8 versions have all been as solid as the Rock of Gilbralta

There's too many apes in Windows XP.
Mac OS X Panther :: iBook G4
willll

Post by willll »

Windows XP crashes too much.
Also all the little MS programs that come with my computer are slowly disappearing. calc, mspaint, sound recorder, and a couple others
The shortcuts for all of the games (minesweeper, hearts, solitaire, spider solitaire) have disappeared and I can't even find the location of the Spider Solitaire exe
Windows Media Player no longer works (it always tells me i need to upgrade)
Its really slow even with all the eye candy disabled.
Fast user switching is evil, but since I've already introduced my family to it, I don't want to make them stop.
Windows 2000 is much better.
hartlandcat

Post by hartlandcat »

DeltaGuy wrote:
hartlandcat wrote:Well it's definately not as stable as Linux.

Yet, actually have programs to select from...

Why do we have to have this myth that it's difficult to find sofware for MacOS and Linux? Is it because there are few games availible for them?
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

willll wrote:Windows XP crashes too much.

Windows XP Pro has crashed once since I bought it (one year ago)...

willll wrote:Also all the little MS programs that come with my computer are slowly disappearing. calc, mspaint, sound recorder, and a couple others

I have all of those programs on Windows XP...

willll wrote:The shortcuts for all of the games (minesweeper, hearts, solitaire, spider solitaire) have disappeared and I can't even find the location of the Spider Solitaire exe

How did they disappear? Did you delete your "Windows Games" Folder?

willll wrote:Windows Media Player no longer works (it always tells me i need to upgrade)

Solution: Upgrade or get something else and stop complaining...

willll wrote:Its really slow even with all the eye candy disabled.

Get a new computer! It's a new version of Windows! New Windows = New Computer

willll wrote:Fast user switching is evil, but since I've already introduced my family to it, I don't want to make them stop.

I love Fast User switching and hibernation. If you like it, don't complain about it....

willll wrote:Windows 2000 is much better.

We're all entitled to our own opinion (even if I think you're wrong)...
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

hartlandcat wrote:
DeltaGuy wrote:
hartlandcat wrote:Well it's definately not as stable as Linux.

Yet, actually have programs to select from...

Why do we have to have this myth that it's difficult to find sofware for MacOS and Linux? Is it because there are few games availible for them?

There are some programs for Linux, that aren't as good as their Windows Counterparts though...
We have OpenOffice, but I like MS Office and Corel better...
We also have the GIMP, but Photoshop is a more powerful image editor that I prefer...
There are virtually no games available for it (I like to use by computer for recreation)...
As for browsing, Firebird wins hands down over IE though...
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

The official slogan of AfterDark.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

hao2lian wrote:

The official slogan of AfterDark.

That and Flame Wars Welcome (but only in disguise)
willll

Post by willll »

DeltaGuy wrote:
willll wrote:Windows XP crashes too much.
Windows XP Pro has crashed once since I bought it (one year ago)...
There is no distinction between Professional and Home edition that will make it crash less
DeltaGuy wrote:
willll wrote:Also all the little MS programs that come with my computer are slowly disappearing. calc, mspaint, sound recorder, and a couple others
I have all of those programs on Windows XP...
Seriously, what a useless comment. Was I talking about programs on your computer? Absolutely not. Was I saying that this had happened on any other computer other than mine? NO. Did I think that this was a common occurance on XP systems? No. THe point of this comment (combined with the next one) is that all sorts of strange inexplicable events occur on XP, stuff that never happened to me on 95.
DeltaGuy wrote:
willll wrote:The shortcuts for all of the games (minesweeper, hearts, solitaire, spider solitaire) have disappeared and I can't even find the location of the Spider Solitaire exe
How did they disappear? Did you delete your "Windows Games" Folder?
Well for folder for the shortcuts is still there, but the individual shortcuts are gone.
DeltaGuy wrote:
willll wrote:Windows Media Player no longer works (it always tells me i need to upgrade)
Solution: Upgrade or get something else and stop complaining...
I have upgraded (multiple times) yet it always gives me the same error message. And I do usually use Foobar2000 or mplayer, but sometimes it is very convienent to use WMP instead.
DeltaGuy wrote:
willll wrote:Its really slow even with all the eye candy disabled.

Get a new computer! It's a new version of Windows! New Windows = New Computer
I don't know where you got the idea that I was using a old computer from. Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 512 MB RAM just got it lost October.
DeltaGuy wrote:
willll wrote:Fast user switching is evil, but since I've already introduced my family to it, I don't want to make them stop. App perforance is slow but what really bugs me is shutdown time. My Win95 Pentium 2 233Mhz can shut down more than twice as fast as my new computer even when I've disabled a large number of services and other junk.
I love Fast User switching and hibernation. If you like it, don't complain about it....
How did you bring hibernation into this? Fast-user switching is bad, because it screws up my scanner program. And also with fast user switching on, no one in my family ever considers it neccessary to sign off, and leaves a whole lot of programs open, so I can't log off for them and have to deal with a ridiculous amount of memory usage from other people.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

Many of these problems could be just you...
It doesn't crash for me...
I don't lose programs mysteriously...
I don't lose shortcuts...
WMP 9 series works fine for me...
Windows XP isn't slow on my computer and my computer is inferior to yours...
I haven't had strange inexplicable events occur on XP for me...
Teach your family how to log out. I had to teach mine...
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

DeltaGuy wrote:I like the Luna Interface...

So do I in the sense that it adds bells and whistles to the otherwise boring Windows desktop. I even purchased StyleXP to complement it. :)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

It's also awesome to switch over to an Aqua interface once in a while on Windows. :-)
hartlandcat

Post by hartlandcat »

DeltaGuy wrote:There are some programs for Linux, that aren't as good as their Windows Counterparts though...
We have OpenOffice, but I like MS Office and Corel better...
We also have the GIMP, but Photoshop is a more powerful image editor that I prefer...
There are virtually no games available for it (I like to use by computer for recreation)...
As for browsing, Firebird wins hands down over IE though...

I will admit that there isn't an overly brilliant graphics program or CD recorder for Linux yet. Other than that, there's everything. I hate MS Office, which is why I use KOffice. So... you didn't know that Corel WordPerfect was availible for Linux? I don't play games.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

hartlandcat wrote:I will admit that there isn't an overly brilliant graphics program or CD recorder for Linux yet. Other than that, there's everything. I hate MS Office, which is why I use KOffice. So... you didn't know that Corel WordPerfect was availible for Linux? I don't play games.

Once you get used to it, "cdrecord" is good enough. ;)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

willll wrote:Fast user switching is evil

I'll agree there. Fast user switching is only good in concept, or if you have a phenomenal amount of RAM.

My only real problems when I'm running XP is that it periodically decides to revert various settings to their defaults, particularly my WMP skin, the "show version on desktop" setting, and the setting to display the programs menu as columns or a single scrolling column. Quite annoying, but manageable.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2