Freeze upon application load

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Deucalion

Freeze upon application load

Post by Deucalion »

Using WinXP on P4 with 512K memory and Outpost firewall

Approximately once per day, clicking a shortcut (whether on the start menu or task bar) starts to open the program and stops loading. This happens with various programs, not just one. This can also happen with no other programs running. Task manager shows 56K loaded into memory on the processes tab, but it is not reflected on the applications tab. Does this sound like a problem with the memory stick, something conflicting in the OS, something else?
You can't get here from there
y3k

Post by y3k »

does it finish loading the program? :-k
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
Deucalion

Post by Deucalion »

Never completes loading. And I can't close it through task manager.
You can't get here from there
y3k

Post by y3k »

sounds like a shortcut issue or a registry issue, i have no idea were you should start looking unfortunatly
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
Micha the not so Old

Post by Micha the not so Old »

Is it the same program, or a random program. If you hit ctrl-alt-del you get the windows task manager up. I have had Firebird refuse to start a couple of times after downloading a nightly that didn't work.

I would click on it and nothing happened, so I renamed the old version, and clicked again, only this time it asks which profile I want to use, which only happens when it is already running.

Hitting ctrl-alt-del enabled me to see it was already running, so I closed it, and it opened properly this time.