RIAA Sues a 12 Year Old

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

daihard wrote:I hardly ever watch TV lately. I could easily miss all this if I wasn't interested in the topic.

Hehe, my TV watching consists of 24, Angel, Buffy (R.I.P.), Conan O'Brien, Dead Like Me and The Sopranos. Outside of that it's the occasional sporting event or DVD from Netflix.

So it's real easy for someone like me to miss the <em>hundreds of stories</em> about this issue. Hell I haven't seen anything since Napster was popular. ;)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

MoNkaholic wrote:Hehe, my TV watching consists of 24, Angel, Buffy (R.I.P.), Conan O'Brien, Dead Like Me and The Sopranos. Outside of that it's the occasional sporting event or DVD from Netflix.

I used to watch Ally McBeal every week. Haven't found any good one after it was cancelled a year or so ago. I do watch Jay Leno from time to time. :)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

daihard wrote:
sharkius wrote:Some penalties may be deferred onto the parents for minor, but they are still liable in some way when they break the law.

Pretty soon, a 5-year old will be prosecuted for riding his bicycle too fast.

Now that's just being dramatic.

daihard wrote:
sharkius wrote:They knew enough about today's culture to find Kazaa. But they havn't heard any of the hundreds of media stories regarding the legality of sharing copyrighted music?

Not unless they are contaminated by today's TV pop culture. I know all about what's going on only because I follow the topic on the Web. I hardly ever watch TV lately. I could easily miss all this if I wasn't interested in the topic.

Even TV has stuff on about it being illegal.
Das beste für die Leute. Das beste für die Masse. Das beste für die Welt.
<a href="http://www.sharkshack.tk">The Shark Shack</a>
My butt is lumpy. How 'bout yours?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

sharkius wrote:
daihard wrote:Not unless they are contaminated by today's TV pop culture. I know all about what's going on only because I follow the topic on the Web. I hardly ever watch TV lately. I could easily miss all this if I wasn't interested in the topic.

But how many people in their low teens watch news and other "informative" programs? Heck, I know a lot of adults who only watch sport games and MTV.
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

daihard wrote:
sharkius wrote:
daihard wrote:Not unless they are contaminated by today's TV pop culture. I know all about what's going on only because I follow the topic on the Web. I hardly ever watch TV lately. I could easily miss all this if I wasn't interested in the topic.

But how many people in their low teens watch news and other "informative" programs? Heck, I know a lot of adults who only watch sport games and MTV.

The parent probably watched TV. And a 12 year old can't pay for stuff on their own. The parent had to knowthe child was using Kazaa.

Again. There are rare occasions that an entire family can fall through the cracks and not have any knowledge of the world. Perhaps this is one of those families.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

sharkius wrote:The parent probably watched TV. And a 12 year old can't pay for stuff on their own. The parent had to knowthe child was using Kazaa.

Again. There are rare occasions that an entire family can fall through the cracks and not have any knowledge of the world. Perhaps this is one of those families.

It may be hard to believe for those who are on top of things (no sarcasm), but there are people who are completely isolated from the world's latest events. The mother says she thought she'd paid for the music when she paid $24 or something for Kazaa's premium service, right? That sounds quite reasonable to me. And if she doesn't have much interest in the Internet, she may very well have no knowledge of what her daughter is doing with the computer.
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

daihard wrote:It may be hard to believe for those who are on top of things (no sarcasm), but there are people who are completely isolated from the world's latest events. The mother says she thought she'd paid for the music when she paid $24 or something for Kazaa's premium service, right? That sounds quite reasonable to me. And if she doesn't have much interest in the Internet, she may very well have no knowledge of what her daughter is doing with the computer.

Had to be some form of contract or liscence from Kazaa. Should have read the thing.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

sharkius wrote:Had to be some form of contract or liscence from Kazaa. Should have read the thing.

I wouldn't disagree, but I can't say that I read every single word of all the EULAs that I've received. How about you?