Mail15

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
shadytrees

Mail15

Post by shadytrees »

I received a email in my inbox today (possibly advertisment) that linked to this page:

http://www.mail15.com/

Anyone knows if this is a valid site or just a scam? Not that I'll be switching any time soon. I just don't have that time of energy.
perlhack

Post by perlhack »

Well, here's what resulted from a whois search:

whois Search wrote:Registrant:
Zaitsev, Igor (TDRJYLSASD)
ul. Rimskogo Korsakova
Moscow
RU

Domain Name: MAIL15.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Zaitsev, Igor (35559859P) zaitsev@mail15.com
ul. Rimskogo Korsakova
Moscow
RU
+7 095

Record expires on 29-Nov-2003.
Record created on 29-Nov-2002.
Database last updated on 10-Sep-2003 18:02:16 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

IMAP.MAIL15.COM 194.186.131.97
WWW.MAIL15.COM 194.186.131.96

My guess is that you should steer clear, given some of the obviously fake information in that listing.

PS: it seems that MZ is auto-linkifying the URL above...
old Neil Parks

Re: Mail15

Post by old Neil Parks »

hao2lian wrote:I received a email in my inbox today (possibly advertisment) that linked to this page:

Anyone knows if this is a valid site or just a scam? Not that I'll be switching any time soon. I just don't have that time of energy.

All UCE (unsolicited commercial emails) should be considered scams. Anyone selling an honest product at a fair price has no need to stoop to spamming.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

Looks like a good email service...
ehume

Post by ehume »

DeltaGuy wrote:Looks like a good email service...
Check out email.myway.com for free e-mail. Myway.com has really fast servers. Plus they have a news service at www.myway.com, and some other good stuff--all with reduced graphics to speed up page-loading.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

I use myrealbox.com ...
and hate it...
Jack

Post by Jack »

Or you could be absolutely paranoid like me, buy your own domain name, get a provider to create multiple e-mail forwarders for you using your domain, and then have those forwarders forward every single e-mail you get to three seperate paid-for e-mail accounts.

Just for an example, every e-mail that gets sent to spam @ apparition.org is automatically forwarded to spam @ mail1.com, spam @ mail2.com, and spam @ mail3.com, all completely different paid-for e-mail accounts on different servers throughout the world.

I learned the hard way from the New York power outage that it's always best to have a back-up plan when it comes to e-mail. In my case, I have two back-up plans. If all three e-mail servers should all be down at the same time, someone deserves a cookie, considering one is in New York, the second is in Texas, and the third is in Norway.

Jack
ehume

Post by ehume »

Jack Comics wrote:Or you could be absolutely paranoid like me, buy your own domain name, get a provider to create multiple e-mail forwarders for you using your domain, and then have those forwarders forward every single e-mail you get to three seperate paid-for e-mail accounts.
OK, you're - - - well, not paranoid; let's call you cautious. But why have your back-up mail accounts all paid-for? Why not use yahoo, netscape, myway, etc.? Or even include mail15, since it is in Russia?
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Lost User 8002

Re: Mail15

Post by Lost User 8002 »

hao2lian wrote:I received a email in my inbox today (possibly advertisment) that linked to this page:

Website doesn't work anymore...
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Aw, drats. And I was just about to sign up for its service. ;-)
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

hao2lian wrote:Aw, drats. And I was just about to sign up for its service. ;-)

I was going to just for fun...