MozillaZine

Watch out when updating Avast

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
wright76878

Post Posted March 6th, 2012, 2:32 pm

I did a manual "Update Program" on Avast Antivirus and it said a newer version was available. So I clicked Ok . It took a long time and then Lo and Behold I had Google Chrome installed. Even adds a Plug-in to Firefox. I always watch out for the small text and uncheck the boxes that say to install such and such. But this time their was NO option not to install Chrome. Pretty sneaky of Avast and Google if you ask me.
Not an easy job to get rid of all traces of Google Chrome.

Gopher John

Post Posted March 6th, 2012, 3:55 pm

wright76878 wrote:I did a manual "Update Program" on Avast Antivirus and it said a newer version was available. So I clicked Ok . It took a long time and then Lo and Behold I had Google Chrome installed. Even adds a Plug-in to Firefox. I always watch out for the small text and uncheck the boxes that say to install such and such. But this time their was NO option not to install Chrome. Pretty sneaky of Avast and Google if you ask me.
Not an easy job to get rid of all traces of Google Chrome.

I got the option on updating Avast to version 7 as to whether I wanted to install Chrome and to make it the default browser. I unchecked both options. Chrome wasn't installed.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein

L.A.R. Grizzly

Post Posted March 6th, 2012, 4:10 pm

wright76878 wrote:But this time their was NO option not to install Chrome. Pretty sneaky of Avast and Google if you ask me.

That's OK. When you update Firefox, Mozilla Maintenance Service gets installed without asking as well, so you're even.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 28.16.0, Interlink Mail 52.9.7634, Firefox 52.9.0esr, Thunderbird 52.9.1 and SeaMonkey 2.48

wright76878

Post Posted March 6th, 2012, 4:18 pm

See Avast forum where others have complained of this happening to them.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94095.0

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted March 7th, 2012, 12:12 pm

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:That's OK. When you update Firefox, Mozilla Maintenance Service gets installed without asking as well, so you're even.

That's a joke, right?
  • That's beginning with Firefox 12, which won't be out for another 7 weeks or so.
  • It's a Windows service that helps with updating Firefox; it's not a plug-in that worms its way into other browsers.
wright76878 wrote:See Avast forum where others have complained of this happening to them.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94095.0

At least it seems to be a bug that occurred on a few computers, rather than intended behavior.

Daifne

Post Posted March 7th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Moving to Mozillazine Tech. What Avast does has nothing to do with Firefox.

BTW, Avast has been "offering" Chrome for a long time. All you need to do is uncheck the box and off you go.

L.A.R. Grizzly

Post Posted March 7th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:That's a joke, right?
  • That's beginning with Firefox 12, which won't be out for another 7 weeks or so.
  • It's a Windows service that helps with updating Firefox; it's not a plug-in that worms its way into other browsers.

1) I'm running FX 12.
2) Nothing should be installed without user approval or knowledge. [-X
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 28.16.0, Interlink Mail 52.9.7634, Firefox 52.9.0esr, Thunderbird 52.9.1 and SeaMonkey 2.48

_Alexander

Post Posted March 7th, 2012, 6:37 pm

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:That's a joke, right?

1) I'm running FX 12.
2) Nothing should be installed without user approval or knowledge. [-X

Unless the user is special / gifted / average.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8

Adrian Bell

Post Posted March 8th, 2012, 2:14 pm

I had this problem on my XP netbook: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93963.0 (the Chrome option didn't show in the dialog, although it did on my Win7, it didn't on my mother's Vista but did after a restart. The code for dealing with this is obviously buggy and/or useless)

Here's how to fix it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93915.45

Scorzonera

Post Posted March 10th, 2012, 5:08 am

FWIW/FYI:
On my Vista and Win7 systems there was no problem unchecking the chrome installment after the latest Avast update.

On my WinXP netbook: No problem either.

On an old WinXP desktop system:
There was a problem with the update. After the Avast update and reboot of the system, there was a dialog with the choices that had to be unchecked to prevent chrome from installing, but before I had the chance to uncheck anything, that dialog was gone and replaced with a dialog stating the update was successful. And of course google's chrome was (unfortunately) installed.

Removal of chrome was no problem, but it showed me the latest update of Avast is indeed buggy concerning this part of the update process.

pfptr

Post Posted June 1st, 2012, 10:50 am

I wish I had read this blog before I updated Avast. I missed the check boxes as well. They are very small and easy to miss. The major problem is that it not only installed Chrome, but deleted all traces of Firefox and all my bookmarks. Software companies are getting too pushy. I shouldn't have to uncheck boxes. I should be asked to check a box if I want things like Chrome. It was also odd that it deleted Firefox, but brought over the bookmarks from IE. Go figure. I like Avast and have recommended it to many people. No more.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 1st, 2012, 12:25 pm

If that happened as you described it is a new wrinkle because usually the installation of a new browser will not remove any existing browser but only change the default application that appears when the user clicks shortcuts or links in emails. Have you actually checked the hard drive to confirm that Firefox is not still installed?

pfptr

Post Posted June 1st, 2012, 1:00 pm

Thank you Dan. I stand corrected. I did a search and found it on my hard drive and I have it back up and running. However, it did remove all traces of Firefox on my desktop and quick launch. When I checked through the control panel, it did not show as an installed software. Chrome will be gone as soon as I log out. Thanks again.

Kevin McFarlane

Post Posted June 2nd, 2012, 12:06 pm

I wonder how much of Chrome's market share is due to bundling where one can suppose that most consumers don't uncheck the defaults? Though I admit that Chrome is very popular among techies these days.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted June 2nd, 2012, 5:05 pm

Techies or script kiddies?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Return to MozillaZine Tech