Signal strength meter?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
JanglyMark2

Signal strength meter?

Post by JanglyMark2 »

I'm moving location (same house, different room).

Due to the nature of the house, it's not easy to get a strong Wifi signal. I have a high gain external antenna and a 5m lead which enables me to find the best location.

So, not, I need a wifi signal meter. My needs are thus :

* A real-time (or as close as possible) meter.

* A LARGE meter. Preferably one that covers the length of the screen and at least 1cm high. I don't have great eyesight and the Windows XP 5-bar thing is impossible to read when right up against the screen, let along several meters away.

* A signal meter that will display the signal as a percentage as well as the graphic. Again, this should be as large as possible.

Anyone know of a program hat will meet my needs?
Love is a weakness in the knees...it's dangerous on the stairs...
Grumpus

Re: Signal strength meter?

Post by Grumpus »

Might want to find some local Ham radio operators or their supply house. A radio signal is just that and there are meters which can help define the signal strength.
It would have to be coded for the bandwidth you would want to know the strength of.
Most of the digital boxes which they had available when TV went to digital have strength meters built in to them.
In the case of microwave transmissions the same.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frenzie

Re: Signal strength meter?

Post by Frenzie »

Inssider might help? It shows you the strength of nearby wireless signals in dB as perceived by your laptop.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.