Firefox 13+ in Windows 2000

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
tomasz86

Re: Firefox 13+ in Windows 2000

Post by tomasz86 »

@mightyglydd
It's strange. I've just tested the Gdi++ on a VM where no unofficial updates are installed and it does work there. Have you got all official updates installed? Could you try to move it somewhere else (like "C:\Gdi++") so as there are no spaces in folder names? If it still doesn't work I suggest using Dependency Walker on all of the DLL files located in the Gdi++ directory and check if there are any dependency issues. By the way, what's the hardware you're trying to run it?

What you may want to try doing is to: rename gdi++_sse.dll to gdi++.dll and rename gdi++.dll to gdi++_sse.dll at the same time, i.e. switch them.

@the-edmeister
Thank you :) I'll keep updating the info if there are any changes in the future. At this moment the method described above works for all versions of Firefox (not sure about the UX branch) and Thunderbird. Just today I've tested it for the newest nightly of Fx 16 and no problems occured.

EDIT: UX works fine too!
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

so basically, what you're saying is you want to be cut off from the internet because your out of date operating system is infected by a botnet trojan and willingly allowed it potentially allowing anyone affected by the mismanagement of your pc to sue your ass.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

squall_leonhart wrote:so basically, what you're saying is you want to be cut off from the internet because your out of date operating system is infected by a botnet trojan and willingly allowed it potentially allowing anyone affected by the mismanagement of your pc to sue your ass.

By the sounds of its patched close to Windows XP, plus with an up to date Antivirus it should be fine. And I doubt that any new viruses are coming out for 2000, so should actually be more secure then 7?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Wow! =D> What a difference! Thank you so much tomasz ! :D
I moved the folder to C\Programs, flipped those two file names, it's working great and using barely any resources, that's the Medium setting.....I'm still fiddling with it on the ancient W2k ThinkPad
Edit:Light's a keeper
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Astrophizz

Post by Astrophizz »

Grantius wrote:
squall_leonhart wrote:so basically, what you're saying is you want to be cut off from the internet because your out of date operating system is infected by a botnet trojan and willingly allowed it potentially allowing anyone affected by the mismanagement of your pc to sue your ass.

By the sounds of its patched close to Windows XP, plus with an up to date Antivirus it should be fine. And I doubt that any new viruses are coming out for 2000, so should actually be more secure then 7?

That's not a particularly good argument. There are features that make 7 inherently more secure (DEP, ASLR) and the fact that security patches are still coming out is a good thing, better than a low use environment with no updates I'd say. Otherwise those who wanted secure environments would try to find old software that isn't developed anymore and that nobody uses.
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

I don't think Windows 2000 is more secure than Windows 7 but I also don't think that (with all unofficial updates installed) it's that much less secure than fully updated Windows XP. You still need decent AV & FW regardless of all the security updates.

@mightyglydd
Good news that you got it work :) You should thank the Japanese guys who've been developing the Gdi++.
Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

tomasz, you're getting a generally more cordial reception here than I did, with the exception of a few knot-heads.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2423705&p=12051827#p12051827
In particular, one 'patrickdempsey' that didn't even want to checkout the msfn.org site.

Though you're more astute in expressing your self than I am.
For security I trust in Spybot.
For DST on new PC builds.
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/2 ... ime-patch/
Biostar [this one as an example, but there are more and heftier from this vendor]
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/int ... p?S_ID=498
and a couple of others that use chipsets older than my add-on [pci/pcie cards] use.
Even on the FM1 sockets.
Plus nVidia has an online tool that helps with finding the right drivers to fit,not necessarily
the latest either. I don't know if ATI has caught up with this.
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

Hey Lone Browncoat,

The DST update you're linking to is quite old. I'm almost sure that KB2657025 which I mentioned before in this topic replaces it.
Lone Browncoat

Post by Lone Browncoat »

OK,
but it works for me, since Geogie Bush JR decided to fiddle with DST
and here in the Eastern time zone. Look at my post in the comments
section of their site.
Second from bottom.

What's trickier to find for me are the ones for the zones themselves
when countries decide to hop on the bandwagon and move to using
April and November as well. Like flippin' Morocco did last month!

Though you integrate them anyhow don't you?
I'm eagerly anticipating your unofficial service pack,
even until the end of support for XP in 2014, just to see
current XP users having the same moans and groans as we.
Then I'll probably go Linux full time for on-line and just use
2K/XP in off-line embedded style to keep my legacy hardware
going, like the capture/tuner cards in my PVRs. Or go pirate.
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

I have updated the instructions written in the first post (thanks ppgrainbow!).

I have also managed to finish the website I talked about earlier. The address is:

http://www.windows2000.tk

@Lone Browncoat
The newest time zones update is included in Update Rollup 2 :)
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Nicely done.

Time to fire up a new VM. :)
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

I just want to say that a new version v10b of UURollup (ENU) is ready. Several bugs have been fixed.

Recently I've also switched to Firefox as my main browser. I used Opera before but it's become just too problematic to use nowadays, lacks many useful features, ex. drag&drop, etc. and the new release (12.00) is extremely buggy. It was just too much to stand it any longer. Anyway, due to this reason I'll probably be more active now ;)

By the way, I'm using the beta channel.
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

Just a quick update: I've switched to the Aurora channel and I'm going to test whether the autoupdate function works in Win2k. If not then I'll try to figure out how to "make" it work.
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

The conclusion is that Firefox can't detect new versions under Windows 2000. It always says that there's no new version available. At the moment only manual updating is available.
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tomasz86 wrote:The conclusion is that Firefox can't detect new versions under Windows 2000. It always says that there's no new version available. At the moment only manual updating is available.

Put a *.js (for example: updateurl-w2k-prefs.js) file in PrfDef with a following content:

Code: Select all

pref("app.update.url","https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/Windows_NT%205.1.3.0%20(x86)/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml");

The key is to change the %OSVERSION% pattern to an XP related string ...

Let me know if this doesn't work!