Firefox 13+ in Windows 2000

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
stillusingwin2k

Re: Firefox 13+ in Windows 2000

Post by stillusingwin2k »

UPDATE

I just installed and am running Firefox 18.0.2 seems to be working fine, I did choose custom install and unchecked the system maintenance . Now I am looking how to upgrade past adobe reader 9.5.0.270 I tried downloading reader1014 and got the standard not for this operating system. Any help?
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

stillusingwin2k wrote:UPDATE

I just installed and am running Firefox 18.0.2 seems to be working fine, I did choose custom install and unchecked the system maintenance . Now I am looking how to upgrade past adobe reader 9.5.0.270 I tried downloading reader1014 and got the standard not for this operating system. Any help?

I believe Foxit reader can support Windows 2000, and its free. Or use built in PDF viewing on FF
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Grantius wrote:

I believe Foxit reader can support Windows 2000, and its free. Or use built in PDF viewing on FF

pdfjs not turned on yet in Firefox 18 so Foxit is the best solution, IMHO
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

@Alex_B Thank you for reporting a problem. Unfortunately it's the first time I see this kind of issue related to UURollup and I haven't heard anyone else to report any similar issues so it'll probably be quite difficult to find out what caused the service to change its state. I've myself definitely not added any changes to the registry which may influence the DNS Client service.

@stillusingwin2k As the other people have already mentioned, Foxit Reader is probably the best solution. You can still install and use the newest version of Adobe Reader but you'll have to use Orca and change the Adobe MSI file Launch Conditions so that it will accept Windows NT 5.0. I just prefer Foxit Reader though.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

If there is a way to install the latest Adobe Reader X1 it would work. I know this because I'm able to run it on W2k off of XP dual boot provided blackwingcat's latest KernelEx and Visual C++ 2010 are installed. I'm not sure about whether the June 2010 DX9 is also needed since that was installed at the same time however Visual C++ 2010 is a must since it has to have msvcr100.dll.

The new Reader opens using the old OpenExpert program that puts an openwith entry on the right context menu and the program is added directly from the Adobe folder on XP. Occasionally I could find hacked portable versions of the Adobe reader and that would probably work too.

In fact since it's running no problem on W2k without being installed if you could copy over the entire Adobe folder from another OS that would in fact be like a portable except the sandboxing isn't functional. Everything else is fine though.
jbclem

Post by jbclem »

I just installed UpDate Rollup v11 from 11-18-13. It's working fine but now I want to try to get .netFramework 4.0 running, so I downloaded and unzipped netFX101120303540.7z . But I want to make sure I run the correct file to install it...is update.exe (from the update subfolder) the starting point?

Are there any further instructions for running it?

John
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

I'm confused. Which exact version of UURollup-v11d have you installed? Could you tell me its full file name? The newest weekly release of UURollup-v11 is Windows2000-UURollup-v11-w130203-x86-ENU.exe and the newest daily release is Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d130216-x86-ENU.7z

As for .NET Framework, the newest version available is called 1302150148_NETFX101120303540.7z. This whole package is still experimental and that's why there's no "official" installer available for it. After unpacking just go to the update folder and run update.exe :)
jbclem

Post by jbclem »

I didn't download the latest weekly version of UURollup, figuring that since it was experimental I would go back a few versions to be sure it was stable. Thinking about it, that might have been not the best idea since an unstable version would be corrected by a newer version...but since I didn't see any mention of an unstable earlier version, that's what I did. I'm was just being cautious.

I used: Windows2000-UURollup-v11-w121118-x86-ENU.exe
kdw097a.zip (uxtheme.dll)
I also downloaded and unzipped: NetFX101120303540.7z

The first two worked to get Firefox 17 running. I'll run update.exe and hopefully get .NET Framework 4.0 working also. I already have .NET Framework 3.5 installed.

The question I have is do I need the absolute latest version of UURollup to get .NET Framework 4.0 running, or is the one I have good enough?
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

I definitely recommend using the latest weekly version. In case of test releases (weekly or daily) it's always the best to use the newest release which is available at the moment as they are updated and fixed very often. For testing purposes I also only use the newest ones. In one word, if you want a 100% stable system then you should just use UURollup-v10d which has been proved stable and bugfree. On the other hand, if you decide to use either weekly or daily channel then installing an updated version as soon as it's released is always highly recommended. It's similar to Firefox in this matter - you just don't use older Aurora or Nightly builds.

Anyway, I'd suggest uninstalling UURollup-v11-w121118 and going for UURollup-v11-w130203 if you want to stick to the weekly channel. Also you don't need KDW any more when using test releases of UURollup-v11 since uxtheme.dll is already included in it :)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to tech.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

tomasz86 wrote:As the other people have already mentioned, Foxit Reader is probably the best solution.

I have also used and recommended that, but then I realized that Foxit is proprietary software from a company that is based in the People's Republic of China. Some people are now recommending SumatraPDF, which is very lightweight and open-source. Plus, one of the two main developers is zeniko, who if I am not mistaken, is Simon Bünzli, who has also contributed a lot of good patches to Firefox.
tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 »

SumatraPDF is not bad but it seems to have problems with certain fonts, ex. it was unable to display some Asian characters in my documents. It was a long time ago so maybe they've fixed those problems since then.
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

tomasz86 wrote:I definitely recommend using the latest weekly version. In case of test releases (weekly or daily) it's always the best to use the newest release which is available at the moment as they are updated and fixed very often. For testing purposes I also only use the newest ones. In one word, if you want a 100% stable system then you should just use UURollup-v10d which has been proved stable and bugfree. On the other hand, if you decide to use either weekly or daily channel then installing an updated version as soon as it's released is always highly recommended. It's similar to Firefox in this matter - you just don't use older Aurora or Nightly builds.

Anyway, I'd suggest uninstalling UURollup-v11-w121118 and going for UURollup-v11-w130203 if you want to stick to the weekly channel. Also you don't need KDW any more when using test releases of UURollup-v11 since uxtheme.dll is already included in it :)

Thank you tomaz86!!!
friarDuncan

Post by friarDuncan »

G'day,

This is *super* thread. I am always up for system internals.

I just wanted to mentioned to anyone interested here is that there is a group of people out there who would love your efforts/knowledge. And this would be the good fellows who are working on ReactOS. I believe there is a wikipedia page on this and has current information. Of course, there is the ReactOS proper site as well.

From who I know of the project it is a complete clean-room rewrite of W2K and above.

Your knowledge (and any possible efforts) would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

friarDuncan
AshleyPomeroy

Post by AshleyPomeroy »

tomasz86 wrote:I am writing this for everyone interested in running newer versions of Firefox in Windows 2000

That was very useful. Can I just add that you need to install DirectX 9.0c, otherwise Firefox's installer throws up an error about a missing MSDMO.DLL and then gives up, citing the fact that it can't load XPCOM*? After installing DirectX I've now upgraded to Firefox 24.

I mention this because I have an ancient ThinkPad 600X that originally came with Win2K; with the memory maxed out it runs XP, just about, but Win2K is much faster.

I don't actually plan on using Firefox very much on it (addons don't seem to install, and without Adblock and Noscript I'd be wary of using the internet with Win2K) but my plan was to use it solely for an ancient version of Nikon Capture and some old stuff I have lying around, and Firefox is a bonus. Nice work on the Win2K service packs, too.

EDIT: After changing extensions.alwaysunpack to true, Firefox now installs Noscript / Adblock! Which feels safer.