Free IM Ride Over

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

Gort wrote:You mean System Log? Yeah, you can view that directly on GAIM (Tools>View System Log). Or do you mean individual chatting logs? You can also view those directly (right-click IM chatter and select View Log).

Ah, I hadn't noticed that one. Still, I like having an actual status window in IRC instead of having to open up various IM windows to ChanServ, NickServ, etc. I do like how GAIM handles whois in the Info window though.

Using GAIM, you can install the System Tray Icon and Message Notification plugins, and then you'll have exactly what you want. Works perfectly. Maybe you should try GAIM again, as there's been some changes to the application and the plugins it can use.

I know that's there, and it's not what I want. The system tray icon doesn't catch my attention at all -- a flashing taskbar button does. It still should be something the OS has, regardless.

Oh, and I don't need to "try" GAIM again -- I use it all the time, when I'm in Linux. I just prefer Trillian. GAIM has many things I like, but Trillian just has more.

I agree that GTK is just ugly. Buttons in particular look really bad, regardless of theme. I think the biggest reason GTK is used as often as it is is because of this stigma people have against Trolltech.

Oh, and I'd been wondering about the feasibility of Firebird in QT. If I knew how to code anything beyond simple console programs for the AP test, I'd help out there in a jiffy.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

banjobacon! wrote:How hard would it be to get Firebird running with Qt? I would like this, if only so unskinned themes would look better in KDE.

I'd think it's a lot of work. At the minimum, all the functions that are implemented in GTK must be replaced with the equivalent ones in Qt. In addition, function parameters can be different; there may be no direct replacement, etc.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Gort

Post by Gort »

Hooded One wrote:Oh, and I don't need to "try" GAIM again -- I use it all the time, when I'm in Linux. I just prefer Trillian. GAIM has many things I like, but Trillian just has more.

I totally agree with that. I, too, wish that Linux had a Trillian. GAIM does what's needed for me, but Trillian does that bit more.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Jack wrote:Yes, it is. However, that article you linked to seems to have blown it a bit out of proportion. In the Messenger Plus installer itself, it gives you an option of whether or not you want to install the "sponsor" stuff. Just select no, and you're on your merry way.

Jack

Just asking - never use the automatic installation then and always use a customized installation. Personally, I would stay away from any software that distributes spyware.
R@F

Post by R@F »

http://board.iexbeta.com/ibf10/index.ph ... opic=30385

Trillian seems to have patched the Microsoft messages that every user gets these days on the free 0.74 version.
Don't know exactly, but people at above link do.
Lost User 8002

Post by Lost User 8002 »

daihard wrote:
GNU/Ben wrote:I think thet GAIM uses GTK1, while GAIM uses GTK2. I may be wrong, though.

Clarify please. ;)

GAIM uses GTK+ v2.2.2 rev a, while the GIMP Installer uses GTK+ 1.3 ...
This is on Windows BTW...
Ashitaka
Location: This is certainly a nifty trick. I wish I could put some HTML code here.

Post by Ashitaka »

Why does everyone hate GTK? I think GTK2 is much, much better than QT... I switched to GNOME once I discovered how much easier on the eyes GTK2 programs are...
(;´Д`) nani kore? ヽ(´ー`)ノ .sig desu yo!
banjobacon!

Post by banjobacon! »

I wouldnt say everony hates GTK. It is more widely used than Qt, I think. This could be because people like the way it looks or becasue it's easier to program with? I don't know if the latter is the case, as I don't know programming.

I personally don't like looking at GTK apps or using them. I guess I've already stated why. Why do people like GTK? Does it really look better to you people? I've sampled many themes and they all look pretty much the same to be, where as KDE themes can vary greatly. Does GTK have theming limitations or is it just me?