Anti Virus Protection

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Re: Anti Virus Protection

Post by Grumpus »

Problem with some of the MS security software systems, both from MS and some private contractors is the use of proprietary bits and pieces which aren't very global. Held over from previous proprietary concerns(marketing) and not any real security.
Recently received email from someone who'd set up an MS based security system and the proprietary character set or html wasn't compatible with the several thousand, all languages, UTF-8 character sets on my system. It's one of those punctuation, editing, ampersand led character groups which only seem to work on MS stuff.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
OSUBUCKEYEFAN75

Post by OSUBUCKEYEFAN75 »

I have never trusted anything MS really, so I can't see me using anything of theirs.....Just my opinion....SO I still don't know which one to use...LOL...Seems like everyone has their own beliefs and reasons...I am still confused...
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Once again, I recommend Avast free & as already mentioned, Comodo as your firewall.
I would not spend anything on the commercial programs, coz the freebies do just as good a job, if not better
& use less resources & are less prone to false positives.

& there's nothing wrong with MSE either.
It's been reported to do a good job, as well.

It's entirely your choice.

You asked for advice........;)

Pick one & try it out.
You can always un-install it if not happy with it.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

One nice thing about MSE is you don't have to worry about them suddenly installing spyware or alternative browsers during an update. Many of the free and formerly trustworthy programs have begun doing that.

- Avast installs Google Toolbar or even Chrome browser.
- AVG started installing it's own "security toolbar" that is a total piece of junk that breaks websites and they started hijacking the urlbar and homepage.
- McAfee's Site Adviser Toolbar is much the same as AVG's... broken junk.
- ZoneAlarm is really sad, they started installing a toolbar that was malware and then switched to a Conduit toolbar, which may not be malware per-say but is totally useless junk.

In some cases choosing "Custom" install and carefully reading the installer is enough to avoid this junk, but it's starting to become more common for extra toolbars to install themselves even when you opt-out.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

OSUBUCKEYEFAN75 wrote:I have never trusted anything MS really, so I can't see me using anything of theirs.....Just my opinion....SO I still don't know which one to use...LOL...Seems like everyone has their own beliefs and reasons...I am still confused...

If you don't trust anything from MS, why haven't you jumped to Linux or Mac? :-k
OneToughCookie

Post by OneToughCookie »

Hi - Totally new here - hope this is an OK place to post. Have read the preceding posts in this thread with interest. I have been using Trend Micro Titanium AntiVirus, and just received my annual renewal warning ("unless we hear from you, we'll charge your card for another year"). Went to their website, because they always seem to be a few versions behind - I'm running Firefox 16 and they're only supporting up to v.10. I do receive a daily status report popup from them, and it almost always shows 0 threats stopped. OTOH, both my desktop and notebook have been (to all appearances, anyway) virus and otherwise nasty free. Is this because: 1. I practice good browsing (and email) hygiene, 2. The Trend Micro is actually working (even though it says it isn't), 3. Firefox is just that good, or 4. I'm incredibly lucky?

The bottom line is, am I wasting my money on this product? And if I drop it, do I need to procure one of the other products discussed on this thread?

Thanks.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

KWierso wrote:If you don't trust anything from MS, why haven't you jumped to Linux or Mac? :-k

Least amount of distrust? ;)
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

OneToughCookie wrote:
The bottom line is, am I wasting my money on this product? And if I drop it, do I need to procure one of the other products discussed on this thread?

Thanks.

It's up to you but I have to say it depends on your browsing habits. I use Avast free version but I also use the paid version of Malwarebytes as I consider the extra protection that it provides is well worth the money. I would NOT recommend Norton/Symantec as in my experience as an ex tech it just does not provide proper protection.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
sadrada

Post by sadrada »

i used antivir until recently, but now i use the av funcion of my zone alarm firewall - works very well! malwarebytes is also great i.m.o.!
Last edited by sadrada on January 2nd, 2013, 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

i recommend using the sandbox in avast to encapsulate all your browsers
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Its not necessary to redundantly use the sandbox on browsers unless you frequent unsafe urls like warez sites.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Omega X wrote:Its not necessary to redundantly use the sandbox on browsers unless you frequent unsafe urls like warez sites.

Sometimes even search results in search engines can take you to spurious sites
patrickjdempsey

It's pretty rare (unless you are researching warez sites), and there is a Report button in the Help menu if you do find some.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

patrickjdempsey wrote:It's pretty rare (unless you are researching warez sites), and there is a Report button in the Help menu if you do find some.

Report button was removed eons ago :-) when 2.1 was released
Last edited by vazhavandan on December 16th, 2012, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Good for you... still there on Firefox. :P