No more updates for XP

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
macamba

No more updates for XP

Post by macamba »

The OS of my system is not updated any more. Windows stopped support. I was wondering what my danger would be. I never use Internet Explorer. I'm an avid Netscape (Mozilla, and now SeaMonkey) user. I do use Outlook, though.
LuvKomputrs

Re: No more updates for XP

Post by LuvKomputrs »

I have a third computer at home that runs Windows XP SP3 and I've got the current version of SeaMonkey it running on it with no issues. :)
Also, have an AV running on your computer. I myself use Avast free antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-malware Premium on both of my desktops.
One desktop has Windows 7 on it, the other Windows XP SP3 and my netbook has Ubuntu 12.04.
What type of computer do you have? How old is it and is it possible for you to upgrade to Windows 7 or the newest version of Windows?
You could also try downloading Ubuntu OS. The site is Ubuntu.com
You can take it out for a test drive and it can be run on a computer thru dual booting, without having to uninstall XP.
You can also download the file on CD/DVD or a USB stick and take a look at it before you decide to install it on your computer.
It'll also give you instructions on how to do a dual boot with two different OSs, if you're not sure on how to do it.
SeaMonkey can also be installed on a system with Ubuntu OS as well. it works very nicely on it too. :)

edit: *oops* Forgot to mention the firewall! I just use the firewall that comes with Windows.
Thanks! to LIMPET235 for the reminder. :)
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on May 6th, 2014, 10:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Also...
What firewall do you run?
If the built-in one, then may I suggest installing the free Comodo firewall or Comodo CIS.
> http://www.comodo.com/
As noted by LC ^, Avast free is good, auto updates, (as does Comodo) & has real time monitoring.
You could also install "Spyware Blaster" > http://www.brightfort.com/
to take care of those tracking cookies.

Stay safe..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I think you have only one rational course of action. Disconnect it permanently from the Internet, and do not share files with other computers outside your own trusted network. It will still be useful, but never again on the Internet.

That is what will happen to this one that I am using, in another week or so.

Some people will tell you that the danger is minimal or nonexistent, but the truth is that no one knows how to evaluate the danger. The space shuttle was thought to be safe until one day it wasn't, and there certainly are many infected computers. Every year the major Web browsers are successfully broken into in a security contest. You need to ask yourself what the consequences are if your computer is under complete control by an agent that successfully conceals itself. That's the possible outcome.
xyzzymage

Post by xyzzymage »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I think you have only one rational course of action. Disconnect it permanently from the Internet, and do not share files with other computers outside your own trusted network. It will still be useful, but never again on the Internet.

Thank you for making that post (said sincerely)! It didn't cross my mind until now that many XP users might consider their systems useless — this might be a rare chance to get a newer/nicer computer than mine (a Celeron from '02 & Centrino from '04, both 2GHz) within my disability budget...which tends to be "as little as possible, that's my grocery money, blast it!" :mrgreen:

To get back to the topic: you don't need to sideline your computers, it's now very easy for regular folks to use Linux for all the same things, and it's so much lighter on resources that the computer feels half as old. My barely computer-literate 63-year-old mother uses it without help, including when she wants to use Windows software/games since it automatically launches the emulator. Since all of our software comes from secure repositories (type what you want, check it off, hit apply & it installs for you) she can also try new things without worrying she'll infect it.

Anyone interested can try Linux without installing anything to their computer, by downloading the "live" CD or DVD .iso file, write/burn it to the appropriate kind of blank disc, then rebooting with the disc in the drive. If the person likes it enough, the installer is very simple; it can put Linux right next to Windows on the drive and set up a little boot menu that asks which one to start up when the computer is turned on or rebooted.

I recommend most newcomers try out SimplyMepis Linux, or the KDE environment in Fedora or OpenSUSE Linux. They all have great, friendly user communities full of people that are happy to help novices learn the ropes. Hopefully Linux will be able to help you keep your old computer actively in use on the Internet, even if it's just for a disaster-prone guest/relative to use while visiting or keeping someone's kid entertained with games while you hang out with the parent. :)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Good points all, xyzzymage. Actually, my main computer at work is from I think the mid 90's. It will still be in use, but just not on the Internet. I am still using a Windows 95 computer and a DOS computer! :)

New computers are incredibly cheap, but may not seem so cheap on a retirement budget. Linux is a great alternative, but for most people it does require a little expertise or learning to get it installed and working as you want.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

xyzzymage wrote:To get back to the topic: you don't need to sideline your computers, it's now very easy for regular folks to use Linux for all the same things, and it's so much lighter on resources that the computer feels half as old. My barely computer-literate 63-year-old mother uses it without help, including when she wants to use Windows software/games since it automatically launches the emulator. Since all of our software comes from secure repositories (type what you want, check it off, hit apply & it installs for you) she can also try new things without worrying she'll infect it.

Anyone interested can try Linux without installing anything to their computer, by downloading the "live" CD or DVD .iso file, write/burn it to the appropriate kind of blank disc, then rebooting with the disc in the drive. If the person likes it enough, the installer is very simple; it can put Linux right next to Windows on the drive and set up a little boot menu that asks which one to start up when the computer is turned on or rebooted.

I recommend most newcomers try out SimplyMepis Linux, or the KDE environment in Fedora or OpenSUSE Linux. They all have great, friendly user communities full of people that are happy to help novices learn the ropes. Hopefully Linux will be able to help you keep your old computer actively in use on the Internet, even if it's just for a disaster-prone guest/relative to use while visiting or keeping someone's kid entertained with games while you hang out with the parent. :)

Linux OSs are great to use. :)
I myself like Ubuntu and they too have great and friendly user communities.
And they too help novices learn the ropes.
You can also download Ubuntu from Ubuntu.com and test drive it on your computer.
Before you fully choose to install it.
I am planning on installing it on my computer that had XP on it.
And one of the nice things in Ubuntu is not havng to use an AV program.
I've been using Ubuntu since version 10.04 and am now using 12.04 LTS without having to worry about viruses, at least for me anyway. :wink:
And plus they also have great support for Firefox in Ubuntu. :D
I'm happily typing this post whilst using Firefox in Ubuntu, on what I refer to as my midget laptop.
Best of luck to you and happy computing! :D
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on May 7th, 2014, 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

There's one other that's worth mentioning. Linux Mint and Ubuntu are two of the most popular right now. Mint has an appearance that should look familiar enough for an XP user, and it comes with some multimedia stuff such as Flash installed. If you get Ubuntu, I strongly suggest that you install the Flashback desktop and try Metacity. You can choose at login. This tells you how. Either of those would be very good. I'm less familar with the others, so I can't say either way.

Best of all, in Linux all your software is free. While it's possible to buy some software, I don't know anyone who has done so.
macamba

Post by macamba »

Thanks for the comments. My question was specific what dangers I would run when I'm not using Internet Explorer, but are using Outlook 2007. For instance, often dangerous faults are found inside Internet Explorer, the reason I not use IE. But is Seamonkey safe as it is not used as often as IE, or is Seamonkey better put together?

By the way, I'm already running a dual boot system with Ubuntu. I'm using Windows to apply for vacancies, do my administration, and so on. Things I could do with Openoffice, but prefer to do with Windows Office.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Macamba, NOTHING is well enough put together to use on the Internet unless it has active support. And that means fast patches if any problems show up. And they WILL show up.

So you're wondering whether you can use SeaMonkey instead of Outlook? Will it even do Outlook? I assume Outlook on XP uses unsupported Windows components, so that seems like a bad idea. I suppose your risk is reduced by using a supported program, but you knew that already. I don't think anyone knows how to evaluate threats that have not yet materialized.

Regardless of what Internet programs you use, the OS is still vulnerable and open to the Internet. You can reduce that risk by putting it behind a router. I don't think anyone can say more than that with any certainty.
Adrian Bell

Post by Adrian Bell »

If you do get a virus, will it be the end of the world? Just take regular backups of anything important. I ran a copy of XP with no updates or antivirus for years with no problems. I'm not suggesting that this is a good idea though.

SpywareBlaster, as suggested by LIMPET, does more than taking care of tracking cookies, it helps to prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware. This only affecte IE though (maybe Outlook?). It also has a blocklist of bad sites which would have an effect on all browsers. Avast is going to support XP for another 3 years.

I have XP on my netbook, I've just turned off automatic updates, and intend to keep updating Avast and SpywareBlaster. I am not going to worry about it (admittedly I only use it occasionally).

Just don't go to any sites ending in "z".
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You might want to take a look at Steve Gibson's Blog, coz if you still run ( just use it for updates), any version of IE then read it.
> http://steve.grc.com/

I now get a blank page in IE8 & the...
"A VML capable browser is required to display this image.
Please see http VMLmaker.com technical support for details."
in Firefox on both this WIN 7 PC & my Dell XP Pro laptop.

I'm not sure if MS are going to do much about it & Steve said, (in podcast #453), that he may rewrite the whole "fix-it" page to clear things up a bit.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

macamba wrote:The OS of my system is not updated any more. Windows stopped support. I was wondering what my danger would be. I never use Internet Explorer. I'm an avid Netscape (Mozilla, and now SeaMonkey) user. I do use Outlook, though.

Have a read of 10 Ways to Keep Windows XP Machines Secure.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Well, the Malicious Software Removal Tool is still getting updates on my work machine. Over the last few years this has been the main thing getting updates anyway. Go figure.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Well, the Malicious Software Removal Tool is still getting updates on my work machine.

Still being updated

"* The Malicious Software Removal Tool and updates to Microsoft Security Essentials will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015."