Win7 x64 Error when creating a New Folder [SOLVED]

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
TheVisitor

Win7 x64 Error when creating a New Folder [SOLVED]

Post by TheVisitor »

Something has happened and I cannot figure out what has happened to my file system.

I cannot create a new Folder and give it a name on the fly.

open my downloads drive
Click New Folder button (folder is created - highlighted ready for me to type in a name
Type in a name for the folder and press OK/Enter
I get the following error box:

Does not matter if I use the downloads drive, my system drive or the desktop to create the folder, I get the same error message.

I have re-indexed the system - no help

Not sure when this started. Not blaming Mozilla, but it seems to have been around the time I accidentally set Nightly as my Default. I have never relied fully on my test builds as the default.

Also, now everytime I install a Nightly from the .exe file after using the control panel add/remove programs, the build is 'pinned' to the taskbar during install. I've never had a Nightly pinned anywhere.

Any guru's on windows have any ideas ? I've tried a system restore, but I don't have any restores that go back very much past a day due to space I assume on my main drive, only 7gig left.

EDIT: SFC scan found no issues/violations.
EDIT: Same issue in Windows safe-mode
Last edited by TheVisitor on May 15th, 2014, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franadora

Re: Win7 x64 Error when creating a New Folder

Post by Franadora »

so your Downloads folder is on the K drive? Does this happen on other drives as well?

And you are left with a folder K:\New folder ?
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows10, 7 Starter, Home Premium; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Franadora wrote:so your Downloads folder is on the K drive? Does this happen on other drives as well?

And you are left with a folder K:\New folder ?

Yes, happens no matter where I try to create a folder as noted in my post:

Does not matter if I use the downloads drive, my system drive or the desktop to create the folder, I get the same error message.

Once I click 'Try again' the new re-named folder is created and I can use that folder all seems normal, until I need to create a new folder.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The only time I have seen this happen was with a customer who had a weakness for pulling out a usb drive without stopping it. Have you tried to reboot so that windows can collect the available drives again. I am assuming you don't actually of a K drive on that machine.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

LoudNoise wrote:The only time I have seen this happen was with a customer who had a weakness for pulling out a usb drive without stopping it. Have you tried to reboot so that windows can collect the available drives again. I am assuming you don't actually of a K drive on that machine.

Yes several times rebooted. Booted into Windows Safe Mode checked, ran chkdsk etc, still getting the errors.

I'm always careful to make sure I disconnect from any USB ports. Though I recently updated my Garmin GPS and now you have me thinking if the update to the Garmin software did something....

And yes, I have a K drive. This PC is an older HP that has memory reader card slots and they are eating up 4 letters, the original C drive and a D backup partition that HP has there. I dual boot C has Vista, my added drive 'J' has Win7 x64 its partitioned to 'K' for all my backups and downloads that I periodically burn to DVD/CDs.
TheVisitor

Re: Win7 x64 Error when creating a New Folder [SOLVED]

Post by TheVisitor »

After much Googling I found this site: http://www.techjawa.com/2010/05/01/guid ... this-item/

downloaded the 'Folderfix' zip file.
Extracted to Desktop

Backed up my Registry and made sure I had a current up-to-date System Restore file.

After much agonizing on whether to proceed, I bit my nails and ran the fixer file, rebooted and Yay! all is well again. Whew!