Keystroke does nothing

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
kleinscmidt

Keystroke does nothing

Post by kleinscmidt »

A contributor in Mozilla forums suggested a solution to a video problem I've been trying for months to solve. I must be doing something wrong. The very first keystroke changed nothing. He / she says, "go to add-ons manager, press <alt> or <F10>, and that will bring up a toolbar. These commands are verbatim, just as he typed in his reply to me. Should I be keying in the <...> marks, as well as the letters? I did not think so, and I did not type them in. So "alt" and / or "F10" changes nothing. What next? ANY VIDEO that I try to playback does not load or play...EXCEPT for one site, which is vikings.com. THIS IS THE SITE that started my now "hair-pulling" stage of not being able to watch any videos at vikings.com, and now has morphed into not being able to see ANY videos at all, even from among the millions at youtube.com. I thought EVERYONE with a PC, (or Mac) could watch something there. smh ](*,) :?:
trolly

Re: Keystroke does nothing

Post by trolly »

I think the poster meant pressing the keys labeled with "ALT" or "F10".
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
kleinscmidt

Post by kleinscmidt »

I thought, (for myself) as much. At any rate, the action did not create a reaction. So, my new friend trolly, do you have any ideas?
Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die~~~Buddah
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

If it makes you feel better, Vikings vids don't play for me either. youTube does, however...
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

kleinscmidt
I've had no issues with YouTube and I just visited that Vikings site and once I allowed scripts to activate via NoScript ... I watched the vids...

Not know what other changes/tests that you may have tried... I would suggest a couple of things...

1st. Restart Firefox in safe-mode and test things...
Try running Firefox in safe-mode...
...this is a testing procedure only and not to be used for normal browsing.

On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does
Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled.
* The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If that doesn't change things for you... I'd try a test profile... this new profile is a clean profile right out of the box... use it as-is for your testing...it does not affect your main profile.
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

... And... what version of Flash do you have in there... and, do sites work in IE? (which is a diff. flash)
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

JayhawksRock wrote:If it makes you feel better, Vikings vids don't play for me either. youTube does, however...

And BTW, the vids dont play in IE for me either.... Borked site I would say
[edit]
http://www.nfl.com/videos works again in Firefox and IE... I guess there was some site maintainence going on for a while
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

As per dfoulkes are you using NoScript? I had to tell it allow vikings.com twice before it would let me see the videos.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Moving to support.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
kleinscmidt

Post by kleinscmidt »

My wife is the tekkie, and she says, first of all, you are not restarting Firefox in safe mode, but the computer itself. I am using Zone Alarm, and my trusted zone is set to medium, which, IMHO, should be sufficient to allow sites such as vikings.com, si.com (sports illustrated), profootballtalk.nbcsports.com, mlb.com, ad nauseum, access to my PC. I also regularly run iolo System Mechanic, and Hitman Pro, which are anti-virus, anti-malware software. I've read all of the posts here about Noscript, and read a lot about it at their website, including some of the reviews from those who have it installed. To me, it seems as though there are far too many caveats to proceed with installing Noscript. My wife has sworn off helping any more, because I won't let her uninstall Firefox 30, and create an entirely new Firefox profile for me,( this laptop is mine alone...I am the administrator ), and what I'm learning here is that THIS ACTION would create a lot of headaches for me, (I am pretty certain that I could **** something up really good), and that this new profile would eliminate things that will be very tedious, time-consuming, AND very high risk,(for me) to try to retrieve. Just in case you are wondering...I do not know first thing about backing up anything. So, there you have it. Just another dumb*** web surfer in a quandry over what I consider a BIG problem that many others would deem insignificant. BTW, I have Flash, version 14...the correct plugin is listed in add-ons manager, and off topic a little bit, there are 2 identical Intel Identity Technology plugins as well. Can I delete one without deleting the other? Does it even matter? I'm also pretty certain that every single website I go to probably doesn't use FlashPlayer alone. Surely, there are other video players used by many different sites. The trouble is, out of the hundreds of sites I've been to, (in the past year or thereabouts) that have video content I choose to view, simply will not play back a thing. Trying IE, I fared a LITTLE better. Some sites worked, (after refreshing the page 2 or 3 times), some did not. I did see, though, that I have protected mode off, in case that may be a factor.
Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die~~~Buddah
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

The purpose hitting the Alt or the F10 key is to temporarily show the Menu Bar, from there you click the Tools menu-item (or hit T) to open the Tools menu - then click Add-ons (or hit A) to open the Addons Manager tab. Or you can open it via { Ctrl + Shft - A }.
This procedure is only for accessing the AOM, it doesn't actually "fix" anything.

As far as your real problem, I ain't even gonna try to tackle that. Your statements are all over the place and without paragraphs separating ideas, I find it too hard to follow what you post here. Please observe how other people in this thread and in other threads organize their postings to make their thoughts and comments more readable.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
kleinscmidt

Post by kleinscmidt »

the-edmeister wrote:The purpose hitting the Alt or the F10 key is to temporarily show the Menu Bar, from there you click the Tools menu-item (or hit T) to open the Tools menu - then click Add-ons (or hit A) to open the Addons Manager tab. Or you can open it via { Ctrl + Shft - A }.
This procedure is only for accessing the AOM, it doesn't actually "fix" anything.

As far as your real problem, I ain't even gonna try to tackle that. Your statements are all over the place and without paragraphs separating ideas, I find it too hard to follow what you post here. Please observe how other people in this thread and in other threads organize their postings to make their thoughts and comments more readable.

Or, I can just click on the 3-bar menu icon in the upper right corner, and 'viola, add-ons icon that gives you the add-ons manager page (in Firefox). No offense intended by any means, but any time I happen to visit a particular forum, wherever it may be, there is ALWAYS someone that posts a reply along the lines of, "your post is too wordy", "you need to make short paragraphs out of that", "I'm sorry, but I can't follow your post", et al.

What really gets me, is that some of you forum contributor guys are supposed to be REALLY, REALLY SMART, but you can't comprehend a paragraph that's only a dozen lines in length...that should take you, what, perhaps 30 seconds to a minute to read???

I really don't understand those of you that can turn a PC, (or Mac) inside out, but are somehow incapable of an elementary task, like reading and comprehending a paragraph that happens to be 6 or 7 sentences that aren't separated into 1 or 2 sentence fragmentations.

So sorry about that. Nothing personal. How could it be? I don't even know you. But hey, really, I'd bet you have a HELUVA time trying to read a book.
therube

Post by therube »

WFM.

Offseason Highlights: Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Code: Select all

+google.com
+nfl.com
+nflcdn.com
+vikings.com
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

kleinscmidt
My wife is the tekkie, and she says, first of all, you are not restarting Firefox in safe mode, but the computer itself. I am using Zone Alarm, and my trusted zone is set to medium, which, IMHO, should be sufficient to allow sites such as vikings.com, si.com (sports illustrated), profootballtalk.nbcsports.com, mlb.com, ad nauseum, access to my PC. I also regularly run iolo System Mechanic, and Hitman Pro, which are anti-virus, anti-malware software. I've read all of the posts here about Noscript, and read a lot about it at their website, including some of the reviews from those who have it installed. To me, it seems as though there are far too many caveats to proceed with installing Noscript. My wife has sworn off helping any more, because I won't let her uninstall Firefox 30, and create an entirely new Firefox profile for me,( this laptop is mine alone...I am the administrator ), and what I'm learning here is that THIS ACTION would create a lot of headaches for me, (I am pretty certain that I could **** something up really good), and that this new profile would eliminate things that will be very tedious

1st... let me say this. You've posted to this board ... asking for help. When doing so a user needs to "structure" posts that give us (the volunteer helpers) the best info in basically the shortest/structured format. We have a lot of reading to do and it gets very tiring trying to dig "real info" out of a flowing paragraph... you should read some of the posts where users create dialog as if they are posting from a phone... if you know what I mean... we normally skip those posts.

Anyway...
Your wife told you that you were rebooting your comp. in safe-mode and "not" Firefox? ... did you try Firefox in safe-mode yet?

You use Zone Alarm? ... that might be a major part of your problem... it doesn't have a good reputation around here... and I also note that you are having issues with IE ... so, that kind of points to Firewall/AV issues. I keep this system clean in that I use the Firewall that came with it and then I use Avast (free) ... and then I watch where I click and browse. Using those basics... I've not had any problems... with anything.
http://www.avast.com/index

Some years ago I had to do a lot of work on a friends computer... nothing was working on it and it was dog-slow ... with everything... He had Z.A installed and had also installed that System Mech. to help resolve his issues... It messed his system up even more. I got rid of Z.A., that System Mech., and any other weird apps. that he had installed that were related to problem resolving/security... installed Avast free, Malwarebytes, set M.S. Firewall take care of things ... and installed SuperAntispyware ... both Malwarebytes and that last one are only run from time to time and then closed out.

With respect to a new Test profile... that routine is just to create that profile and use it as-is. Depending on how it performs will determine what to do next... it will not disturb your default profile... at all.

So... Since your wife is the Tech... you might want to listen to her a little more :-" ... and from what you've already posted... it seems that you don't want to take the steps in resolving your issues... if that's the case... WE CAN'T HELP YOU... Know what I mean.
kleinscmidt

Post by kleinscmidt »

@the-edmeister AND dfoulkes: My most sincere apologies. As usual, I stuck my foot in my mouth before stepping back, and taking a look at things while in the other guys' shoes. I now am able to see through forum contributors' eyes, and understand how my posts and replies could be taken as offensive and / or argumentative. In the future, I will strive to be more considerate...AND succinct.

I understand that Avast is free. My PC did not come with any firewall or antivirus / antispyware except McAfee, and it was uninstalled, (by the better half), with ZA replacing it, now being the only protection I have on this laptop.

Are either Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware free, or do either have free versions? I am not in a position to purchase any of these
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

My strong suggestion... and there are other "free" AV products out there as good as Avast... but... I've been using it for years and really like it... plus it's not a resource hog like McAfee... so...

Also... you Win7 automatically came with built-in Windows Firewall... that is what I currently use.

So... my suggestion.. and, it's just my suggestion... check with your IT lady :lol: :-"

- Download the Free Avast Av product... not the paid version... unless you want it later... you can always upgrade... but the Free one is good.... the one on the left hand side. In order to keep track of who uses their products they will want you to register annually... no big deal though.
http://www.avast.com/index

Now... using these instruction to remove McAfee....once uninstalled... you need to reboot...
http://mcafee-removal-tool.com/

You know... at this point it wouldn't be a bad idea (unless you do it all the time) to defrag your disk... I use this but Windows has it built in... but this one is faster... never hurts unless you are using a SSD drive... which I doubt you are... not good to defrag SSD's.
https://www.piriform.com/defraggler
... use the free one.

Now... review Windows to make sure that the Windows Firewall is turned on... not sure what condition McAfee left it in... so, this is just a check.

Now Install Avast and use ....
It is essential that you select the custom installation option during setup.

...that quote part if from this link...and check out some of those things listed.
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/15/10-ava ... t-started/

You will be asked to reboot at the end of the install...

Once that is complete... your question about Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware...
Both are free but they do have paid options... I use the free ones only and run them from time to time JIC. Neither one of them run all the time... a user should only have one always running/resident AV product in a computer... else problems surface.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

In all cases... when you are installing any of the above, or for that matter, installing any software... be sure to review some of the stuff displayed and un-check stuff you don't want... like ... some of them may have a line about installing Chrome... un-check it. I know Avast has that somewhere.