Videos won't play

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
dfoulkes

Re: Videos won't play

Post by dfoulkes »

kmberry
Just a side-note on all your browsers and other stuff... I have two browsers "installed" in this PC ... but I have about 7 others at my finger-tips... all loaded in my Portable apps. management app.... which makes it easy to deal with a bunch of portable apps.

So then all I have to deal with are my two installed browsers... all others sit under my Portable section... and none of them get "installed" nor do they mess with my Registry.

So... this is the program that handles the overall apps...
PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

... and from there you can roam all over the place and install (from within that app.) all the browsers that they have plus a ton of other stuff that's nice to have around... you can even put all of it onto a USB drive if wanted... I have that stuff in a PortableApps folder though.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kmberry

Post by kmberry »

I don't use IE, but thought SlimBrowser was just a shell for it, and the vids do not work on that. I found an example public video on Facebook that plays only on Chrome, and also took a screenshot of my plugins. Haven't done uninstalling/reinstalling yet. What is weird is that I checked on a Windows 7 computer in the household, and the situation is the same there -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=685559874848338

http://tiwsday.in/firefoxplugins.jpg

...and when the vid does not play, the area is simply black. Nothing happens.

...and thanks for that PortableApps link, looks like something I might use!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't use IE

Since it comes with your OS ... just give it a test... it may tell all of us something.

No problem here watching that crazy Cat mess up that LP... they are all crazy... just look at mine :-" :lol:

I see in your list of Plugins that they are all set to "Ask to Activate" ... doesn't anything like Flash prompt with a question?

And as far as I know a installed/new Firefox sets those to auto-start.. did you change all of them?

And since you mention another computer ... are its plugins also set to Ask as opposed to just start up?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kmberry

Post by kmberry »

I don't even allow access to IE, but I think I may have an answer - haven't got time to test it right now, but it may be a solution for those searching for an answer. I switched to Comodo Dragon just because it was the only thing that worked with all videos. I have another conflicting use of plain Chrome. Even the newer Opera browser based on Chrome would not play those particular videos. I've been happily using Dragon after adjusting to little annoyances like not being able to get the Self-Destructing cookie addon, but today decided to look at flash cookie settings. I adjusted them to how I've wanted them, which is not to allow their storage by any website. Soon after I did that, Facebook videos would not play. I'm going to have to readjust those flash cookie settings and just wipe them out daily with CCleaner, but I bet that is the issue.

Edit: That WAS the issue. However, CCleaner did not get rid of the fb/akamai cookie when I used it, so I had to go to http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger07.html to delete it. I will have to figure it out, because this issue did not always exist for me, and I avoid devious invasion such as flash cookies.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
This extension may help you with those Flash cookies.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... erprivacy/

&....Be careful when using CCleaner.
Do not let it "clean" anything Firefox or Thunderbird, as it has a habit of removing things it shouldn't.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kmberry

Post by kmberry »

Thanks, Limpet235.