Facebook messages won't update automatically?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Antaishi

Facebook messages won't update automatically?

Post by Antaishi »

Hi!

So this problem started for me around 2 months ago. In short, I use Facebook messages (inbox) like chat with my friends, and not that chat in lower right of the screen, it's always turned off. And everything worked great. Sometime ago, I noticed that when I chat to somebody in real time, I only see the "Seen..." message, and not the response. When I manually click the refresh page in Firefox, suddenly it loads all of their replies, and in between my messages. So we chatted but I was only able to see my messages, Facebook didn't load their responses. And now I have to spam refresh page button in browser to be able to chat with somebody, it's so frustrating. Also, I don't even get the notification that I have new message - for example I am on my homepage reading news and when I click "Home" again suddenly notifications pop up that I have 2 new messages, one from 5 minutes ago and second from 10 minutes ago, and just 5 seconds ago I didn't see anything, but page, likes, comments etc. loaded perfectly.

Now, before you all go "delete cookies, cache, reinstall..." I have researched this problem a lot. And this is what I found out:

1. The problem is still there when I use other browser, for example IE. It also won't refresh my messages automatically.
2. The problem is only for large conversations - I found out that people complaining to have this problem usually say that this only happens in their chats with their "boyfriend, girlfriend, relatives etc". So it made me think, and I found out that this is the problem with very large conversations. For example, I have a conversation with my best friend that has more then 11.000 messages in it, and with some other people that has 13.000, 6.000 etc. messages. The thing is, those conversations are not being refreshed automatically, but new conversations, like with somebody I just started talking to, is. I get instant message notification and their message without refreshing the page, like in chat and like it is suppose to.
3. It looks like it's account connected, not browser - I gave my account to my best friend and he gave me his (he doesn't have this problems) so we switched. Then we chatted in the same conversation we always talk. I said to him "When I am on your account I don't have to refresh automatically, messages just keep coming", and he replied: "Now I have to refresh every second, this is frustrating, now I know how you feel xD". My friend and I use different computers, from different cities etc. So it looks like it's Facebook account problem, not browser/computer. But what I notice is that he cleared our conversation some time ago, and he only has around 1.000 messages, when I have around 11.000 from the same conversation.

But other friends didn't clean the conversation and they also don't need to refresh the page. So it looks like this problem is account based and hits only some large conversations, not all.

Or maybe I got it all wrong and it's browser thing?

I don't know, I am just hoping that somebody would tell me something, anything... I wrote so many times to Facebook and they didn't respond. I don't know who to ask anymore...
LIMPET235

Re: Facebook messages won't update automatically?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I see that it's affecting IE as well......so it's off to the Tech. Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)