Win10 in a Virtual machine behind Win8.1

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
couldabeen

Win10 in a Virtual machine behind Win8.1

Post by couldabeen »

I know it can be done, but will it cause a lot problems with the host OS?
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
LoudNoise

Re: Win10 in a Virtual machine behind Win8.1

Post by LoudNoise »

Assuming that the VM is well made, it shouldn't. A virtual machine should be self contained. That said, all of your programs are like to blow up in a notable fashion. There is a very good reason why can get Windows 10 for free at the moment.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
amrad

Post by amrad »

So, what is that reason?

Regards,

Dave.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

It won't be released for another year and you're beta testing it for them for free instead of getting paid to do so. ;)

Btw, I'm not really sure what the point would be of running a Windows 10 VM from Windows 8.1? In any case, you can grab premade VMs for any OS over at Modern.IE. I have several Windows licenses and I still prefer to use that with snapshots because it's just easier than to bother with the actual installation.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Frenzie wrote:Btw, I'm not really sure what the point would be of running a Windows 10 VM from Windows 8.1?

Because Win8.1 kinda sucks deeply, IMO, and I want to see what 10 is going to look like. If it sucks as well, I may just go back to XP permanently on that old desktop I have.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Skipping right over the only actually usable Windows version of the last decade W7?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Skipping right over the only actually usable Windows version of the last decade W7?

Yes, why ? :-k
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Yeah well, everyone makes mistakes, and this 8.1 was one of mine. My wife's machine has win7, and I really don't care for it either. IMO, XP was the last really usable version.

Both 7 and 8.1 have rollups(MS term) monthly, and usually are huge and cumbersome to get installed, and then MS comes along and releases a single update in a rollup that freaking breaks the system, and takes several hours of hoop jumping to get it 'rolled back' to where it was, THEN start all over again and uncheck that POS KB that screwed things up(assuming I can find which one it was).

I've done more 'admin' crap on 7 and 8.1 in less than 7 months than I did in the 14 years I used XP Pro.

I've heard good and bad about the 10 previews, and wanted to see for myself without the hassle of making a disk image or huge backup that may or may not reload later.
patrickjdempsey

Oh I have all of that and the UAC junk disabled. It does have weird problems with networked drives but fortunately I don't have to do that often.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

As Frenzie noted, the reason why it is free is clear. That said, I don't have a problem with this. One of the major problems with software testing is that you can test all you want and against all known problems but things are still sucky when the rubber hits the road. Microsoft wants the thing on as many computer as possible simply because it will blow up in ways they cannot possibly see otherwise. I would assume that the license you didn't read gave permission your to send MS a ton of information.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Oh I have all of that and the UAC junk disabled. It does have weird problems with networked drives but fortunately I don't have to do that often.

Just a thouhght, Win8.1 or 7 - reformat your network drives to fat32 or ext3 or 4 if you can. I've found that my network drives corrupt quickly if they are in NTFS format. Fat32 seemed to have helped a lot. Win8.1 won[t let me do ext3 or 4.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

LoudNoise wrote:. I would assume that the license you didn't read gave permission your to send MS a ton of information.

Oh I read it alright! And the send home crap does bother me a bunch.
patrickjdempsey

couldabeen wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Oh I have all of that and the UAC junk disabled. It does have weird problems with networked drives but fortunately I don't have to do that often.

Just a thouhght, Win8.1 or 7 - reformat your network drives to fat32 or ext3 or 4 if you can. I've found that my network drives corrupt quickly if they are in NTFS format. Fat32 seemed to have helped a lot. Win8.1 won[t let me do ext3 or 4.

It's an IPV6 issue. All machines have to have IPV6 disabled to be able to talk to each other. So much for the future.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

couldabeen wrote:Yeah well, everyone makes mistakes, and this 8.1 was one of mine. My wife's machine has win7, and I really don't care for it either. IMO, XP was the last really usable version.

I couldn't agree more. Windows 7 is awful.

couldabeen wrote:I've heard good and bad about the 10 previews, and wanted to see for myself without the hassle of making a disk image or huge backup that may or may not reload later.

Right, so grab the IE11 image over at the site I linked and fire it up in a VM of your choice. ;) However, I don't think that'll really show any of the weird issues Windows has because most that I've had were related to disks and partitions. Windows 7 is so usable that it drove me to Linux. :)
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Couldn't pull the trigger on Win10 yet. Put LinuxLite in the VM instead. I'm still thinkg about Win10, or taking this laptop to WinXP.