OLM to Apple Mail trouble

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Jack Kees

OLM to Apple Mail trouble

Post by Jack Kees »

Hello, I am using outlook and Apple mail clients on mac book pro. For some reason I need to transfer all my mails from outlook 2011 to Apple Mail but it seems that they are not build to import olm files that are stored in outlook 2011.So how can I import olm files from outlook 2011 to Apple Mail. I have apprx 8 years of emails that I need to import
tanstaafl

Re: OLM to Apple Mail trouble

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Thunderbird Support to MozillaZine Tech as your question has nothing to do with Thunderbird (or Mozilla).

The easiest solution might to to sign up for a free account with a email provider that supports IMAP (such as Gmail.com, Yahoo.com or Outlook.com), create a IMAP account for it in both email clients, copy/move the messages in Outlook to folders in the IMAP account (which copies them to remote folders on the IMAP sever, same as webmail folders), and then use Mail.App to copy the messages down to wherever your POP account stores messages.

This has nothing to do with sending , forwarding or checking for new mail. IMAP supports copying/moving messages/folders to/from the mail server. Its quite different from POP which has a download-centric view of the world and can only access one folder (the inbox) on the mail server.

Migrating your mail this way uses a lot of network bandwidth but avoids having to deal with file format and identity issues. Both Outlook and Mail.App support IMAP.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP