Windows 10 will be free

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Mouse5

Re: Windows 10 will be free

Post by Mouse5 »

KWierso wrote:
-Arch- wrote:what if you no longer use windows but have a Copy ( Paid registered ) of Windows 7, will you also get windows10 for free?

Install 7 with that key, then upgrade.

a bit pointless. why would i do it twice an go through the HELL of updates + reboots etc of windows7 over an over again an then update to windows10? IMO if Microsoft had any brains. ( hold on did i just say BRAINS? ) one should be able to just type in there Registered Windows7 or 8 Key during a Clean Windows 10 install .
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

How do you know you can't?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

malliz wrote:How do you know you can't?

i have no idea till i findout. thats why im asking.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

All that's been said so far is that people with Windows 7 and 8 can upgrade to 10 for free during the first year. No one knows yet what that means for uninstalled copies of 7 and 8.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Well one thing's for sure, we don't have to worry about this **** (piggy bank?) for almost five years.....

Windows 7 Service Pack 1: End of extended support : January 14, 2020

Lot of water can flow under the bridge until then....

@Surprised no one's mentioned the 'gray area' regarding dual booting other systems....TBD.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

mightyglydd wrote:@Surprised no one's mentioned the 'gray area' regarding dual booting other systems....TBD.

@mightyglydd - my page 1 post and detailed in the article

windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

anothjer story on windows10 an secureboot http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... Windows-10
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Ortho_Fan wrote:
couldabeen wrote:The worse part of the MS updates to Win10 is that some Win7 and Win8.x users will get it automatically due to their update settings. I think I read that somewhere in the Win10 insider hoopla.

I think you have to "opt in" for that to happen. There was a Forbes article awhile back that mentioned this -- http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... c-install/

I'm willing to give Windows 10 a try when it comes out--not on my system, but in the store. I live near a big box office supply shop where they let you play around with the display models to your heart's content. There's where I found out enough about Window 8 to realize that there were too many basic tasks, I now do by rote, that I'd have to relearn. I hate to say it, but my MAIN reason for sticking with Firefox--in addition to security--is that it still comes with a text-based menu listing all the basic functions, and not some "guess and click" type ribbon menu used on browsers that shall remain nameless. :-"

OF

You may be right, but that article addressed installing a Technical Preview version of Windows10 at anytime by the procedure outlined in the article.
But to my knowledge if a user has a Win7-Win8'x unit set to automatically update, it will be update to the 'production version' of Win10 when it is released. I would hope the MS has the integrity to give the 'opt-in' option to it's users.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Grumpus wrote:
mightyglydd wrote:@Surprised no one's mentioned the 'gray area' regarding dual booting other systems....TBD.

@mightyglydd - my page 1 post and detailed in the article

windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality

Well grump I just installed Win10 on our old laptop and did a Belarc report and secure boot is NOT availabe
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Supposedly it's built in and doesn't allow a second OS on the hardware was the point of the story.
This would require hardware manufacturers signing or agreeing to have their hardware setup to support it from the outset.
Your computer bios would, I think, have to be UEFI to enable or disable Secureboot. It shows in my Bios but there is no Windows on this system.

the article wrote:At its WinHEC hardware conference in Shenzhen, China, Microsoft talked about the hardware requirements for Windows 10. The precise final specs are not available yet, so all this is somewhat subject to change, but right now, Microsoft says that the switch to allow Secure Boot to be turned off is now optional. Hardware can be Designed for Windows 10 and can offer no way to opt out of the Secure Boot lock down.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you