Login to ubuntuforums.org

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
johnarose

Login to ubuntuforums.org

Post by johnarose »

For the last month or two, I am intermittently not able to login to Ubuntu Forums. I get:
Ubuntu One
Bad Request
Bad bot, go away! Request aborted.
Ubuntu One. One place to log in to everything on Ubuntu.
Terms · Privacy · Support · Switch language
© Copyright Canonical Ltd. ‘Ubuntu One’ and ‘Canonical’ are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd.

The people at login-support at canonical dotcom are not able to solve this! They have suggested using a Private Window of Firefox: sometimes that works & sometimes not. Any ideas?
Grumpus

Re: Login to ubuntuforums.org

Post by Grumpus »

Go to the main page for the Ubuntu Forums.
Select Login with sso in the top right of the page.

You have to allow cookies for the initial login of Ubuntu One or account creation.
You will then be required to place your email and your password, created or former, with the Ubuntu One account.

You do not have to allow third party cookies.

You should be transported to another page which will ask if you wish to enter. Click the small panel.
Once open you should see your status in the top right of the page.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
johnarose

Post by johnarose »

Grumpus,
The method that you specify is the same as what I do.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Is there a possibility you have removed or limited UbuntuOne?
I had a siilar issue with an earlier Ubuntu release.
By removing some of the Unity Cloud features I managed to disable the UbuntuOne capability.
You may also want to see if you are blocking the login IP range for some other reason.
Load iptraf on to your system and it should show the IPs which are used for your login and your access in general. It's live.
Also handy to have if information is being placed on your system without your knowledge.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
johnarose

Post by johnarose »

I am able to login (using Firefox) at https://login.ubuntu.com/+login Does that mean that I haven't removed or limited UbuntuOne?

I've run iptraf but I don't see anything untoward when it runs. It shows lines for ifaces of eth0, tun0 (i.e. for my VPN) & lo. There's nothing for live.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This is the start an account page.
If your account was still active you would go directly to a graphic enhanced page where you would be prompted for your email and a password.
This is an open page which is accessible from other systems as well as Ubuntu, I just accessed it with LinuxMint17 without any UbuntuOne.
I would go further but I do not wish to create an UbuntuOne account for Mint this morning.

IP range for UbuntuOne is Canonical - 162.213.32.0 - 162.213.35.255

This is the text I see on the page: ( which I believe I used to set up the account for Ubuntu14.04 which I keep active)

Ubuntu One
Cookies required
Cookies are required to use this service. Please enable cookies in your browser.
Ubuntu One. One place to log in to everything on Ubuntu.
Terms · Privacy · Support · Switch language
© Copyright Canonical Ltd. ‘Ubuntu One’ and ‘Canonical’ are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd.

As to IPTRAF - you can select "all interfaces" or the item in the list which is your connection to the internet. "lo" is for local.
You will have to have your internet connection active to show the interface you are connected with.
Probably "tun0", click on it. Initially you should be able to configure from the second Iptraf screen before selecting the appropriate interface.
In configuration you can select logging, time periods, ports, etc, read "info iptraf"
You should see both TCP and UDP connections in the screen once you select the interface.
Caution: do not close the terminal without closing Iptraf, just focus on the terminal and hit "x"
johnarose

Post by johnarose »

I was prompted for an email & password on that page. It then logged me in. I've just tried again and got the Bad Bot message. I've looked at my router's log & it shows no traffic to/from 162.213.32.n.

iptraf does not show any traffic to/from any of the interfaces. As I said before, it shows lo,eth0 & tun0. And tun0 is my VPN interface which should not be used by Ubuntu One. If I try to Configure it, it says only "First instance of iptraf can configure". System Monitor does not show any running instance of iptraf. Does the process have a different name?

"ping 162.213.32.0" gives 100% packet loss though "ping 162.213.32.1" gives 0% packet loss.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

iptraf should show which ever enabled connection to the Internet your system uses whether it is ppp, lan, or some random selected name for a wireless connection.
If you are wired it should show that connection if you have it enabled.
It would then show the IP of all the traffic on that connection as long as enabled.
You use a terminal to open it and you need admin (sudo iptraf) to open it properly.

Which ever connection you use to connect with the Internet is the one which UbuntuOne would have to use.
In the list use "IP traffic monitor"
johnarose

Post by johnarose »

I must have forgotten to use sudo. I now see traffic to 162.213.32.62 when I try signing in to Ubuntu One. Here is extract from iptraf:
162.213.32.62:443 > 1 52 --A- eth0 │
│└192.168.101.12:58754 = 0 0 ---- eth0

When I try to sudo ping 162.213.32.62, I get 100% packet loss. I don't see anything in my router config or log re this ip address.

To me, it just seems like Canonical have made a mess.
johnarose

Post by johnarose »

I forgot to mention that I've checked ufw's log and there is no blocking of 162.213.32.62 (or 'related' address).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this does not appear to be an issue related to Firefox.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@DanRaisch - Thanks.

@johnarose - It is unlikely Canonical made a mess. More like something you have changed or installed is blocking the process somehow. Iptraf would not have functioned if you had not used the sudo command and Ubuntu14.04 would have issued a warning of administrative permissions required to implement under normal conditions. Something else is causing the problem, possibly a javascript restraint, cookie block, etc.

Start with the cookies, go into /edit/preferences/Privacy/History change Firefox will: to "Use custom settings for history"
Click on Exceptions and see if any cookies are blocked which may be relevant. I mention this as sometimes when using "Keep Until: always ask setting the cookies from a particular site wind up being treated in the same manner as the panel for always ask does not reset to the previous unchecked or checked condition. In other words if you set cookies to a "for session only" state and left the check block checked when closing out the check block would stay checked and the next time you went somewhere and hit Deny it would then treat cookies the same as the state it was left in. See if any cookies which may relate to Canonical are blocked
johnarose

Post by johnarose »

No cookies blocked under Exceptions.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

What Javascript extensions do you have enabled? NoScript, AdBlock, etc.?
johnarose

Post by johnarose »

Ad Limiter
Adblock Edge
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
Autofill Forms
Better Gmail
Better Privacy
bug582139 (Allow bookmarks button in the navbar)
Copy Links
Copy Plain Text 2
Download YouTube Videos as mp4
Download Them All!
Evernote Web Clipper
Firebug
FirefoxAdKiller
FireFTP
Flash and Video Download
Flash Video downloader - YouTube HD Downloader
Gcache+
gTranslate