Google Search Tools how to disable location tracking

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
ashanta

Google Search Tools how to disable location tracking

Post by ashanta »

Hi,

Every time, I make a search on google, if I click on 'Search Tools' I can see the name of my city checked. How can I disable this tracking location on firefox.

I already tried geo.enabled set to false, but this doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.
JayhawksRock

Re: Google Search Tools how to disable location tracking

Post by JayhawksRock »

Use the Google settings if you are using the Google.com page
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Well first off... if you aren't a logged-in Google Services user, and you delete your cookies regularly, then it's not "tracking". If you are a member of Google Services, then they are definitely tracking you and there's really nothing you can do about that except stop using Google services.

Secondly, basic Google Search just uses your IP address to find your location. *Every* website you connect to can trace your IP address. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address The common way around this is to use a Proxy website connection... but these often have slow connections and are often operated illegally and can be used to steal your personal data.

Third, "geo.enabled" controls a feature called GeoLocation, which uses Google Maps/Street View data to calculate the position of your router. This feature is opt-in on all browsers... meaning it shows a popup asking you if you want to give out your information. It's also slow, difficult to implement seemlessly (because of the popup), and often extremely inaccurate. Therefore, it's really not commonly used at all. Mobile devices use a version of it that actually uses the "GPS" features of the phone itself instead of Google Maps' GeoLocation.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Moving to MZ Tech given that it's a rather general issue not directly related to Firefox.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Well first off... if you aren't a logged-in Google Services user, and you delete your cookies regularly, then it's not "tracking". If you are a member of Google Services, then they are definitely tracking you and there's really nothing you can do about that except stop using Google services.

Secondly, basic Google Search just uses your IP address to find your location. *Every* website you connect to can trace your IP address. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address The common way around this is to use a Proxy website connection... but these often have slow connections and are often operated illegally and can be used to steal your personal data.

Third, "geo.enabled" controls a feature called GeoLocation, which uses Google Maps/Street View data to calculate the position of your router. This feature is opt-in on all browsers... meaning it shows a popup asking you if you want to give out your information. It's also slow, difficult to implement seemlessly (because of the popup), and often extremely inaccurate. Therefore, it's really not commonly used at all. Mobile devices use a version of it that actually uses the "GPS" features of the phone itself instead of Google Maps' GeoLocation.

The bigger the city, the more likely they can approximate due to ISP route hubs having a location attached. But just wait until ipv6 with everything having its own IP.