Win10 Offering Icon in Systray

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
TheVisitor

Win10 Offering Icon in Systray

Post by TheVisitor »

Anyone else running Win7 get the notification in the Systray about 'Get Win10' ?

right-click options:
Get Windows 10
Reserve your free Upgrade
Go to Windows Update
Get to know Windows 10

No time to investigate this morning...While the upgrade does seem tempting, not sure about my system. Its about 4 yrs old now, maybe 5.
Not giving a bit a trouble on Win7, so sorely tempted to just stay here on Win7.
Night Wing

Re: Win10 Offering Icon in Systray

Post by Night Wing »

Since you're using Windows 7, you probably installed the updates from Microsoft which are now being activated by Microsoft. If I'm correct, the updates are KB3035583 and KB2990214. If you uninstall them, the button in the Systray for Windows 10 should go away.

When you uninstall the updates, you'll have to re-start your computer.
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

This link will provide you with more info: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/06/01/how-to ... f-windows/

Be sure to read all of it, including the replies.

PS: I will stay with Win 7 as long as possible.
Last edited by Oma1942 on June 1st, 2015, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Thanks--both of you--for the heads-up. If the notice appears in my System Tray--it hasn't so far--I'll probably just hide it -- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ation-area -- since I'm not sure if I'll upgrade at this point. If I do upgrade, it'll be after Windows 10 has been up and running in the real world for at least eight or ten months to give MS time to take care of the major bugs. I've looked at a few previews on YouTube, and Windows 10 looks like it will be close enough to Windows 7 so that I won't suffer a complete nervous breakdown as part of the learning curve.

O.F.
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/window ... witterfeed
Here Are the Features Windows 10 Will Remove When You Upgrade Windows Updates.
This is the most interesting one. In previous Windows versions, you could control how updates were installed. But those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically. Only Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to defer updates.

EDIT: and still additional info in the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... ifications
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Night Wing wrote:KB3035583 and KB2990214.

Yep those and 'Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems KB2952664' all of which I have 'hidden' (not installed) until I decide whether to take the plunge.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Also seeing this on my win 8.1 laptop. Been testing windows ten on my old laptop and it is certainly better than vista and win 8.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I'm not in a rush to upgrade. The offer will remain for a year. By then I can see what's what and watch the fallout if and when it happens.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

They don't push it for the Windows 7 Enterprise version - guess they don't want their corporate users to run to their IT people and complain about some malware having landed on their computers... :mrgreen:
Gort

Post by Gort »

Probably going to hold off till about January before I venture to upgrade to Windows 10. The update notifier has deemed my laptop ready to go, but I still feel a need for caution and not to rush in. Anyway, I have things set up fine for now, so no real need to "fix it".
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

I have WinXP Pro 64 bit and Win7 64 bit Home Premium as dual boot on my old Dell desktop.
My Laptop is a dual boot with Win8.1 and Win10 Preview. Of those two I prefer Win10(the latest for fast ring is getting there).

But my old XP Pro is still faster to load in, faster to run and IMO still a lot cleaner user interface! MS keeps insisting on screwing around with a Start Menu that a lot of folks don't like, but I'm sure a lot do. But then there is always Classic Shell if push come to shove.

I will keep the dell with Win7 and XP Pro with XP as my default OS for now.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Somewhere in that slide show that comes up if you click the icon, there is a link to what older versions of Windows will be update with Win10. My wife's Win7 Home premium will only be updated to WIn10 Home. I don't know the difference, but have been told there will be losses for soem win7 and win8(8.1) users if they update.

Some interesting things here>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Oma1942 posted above what is probably the main issue that I have with Win10... so far after reading various, positive articles about it... is that my Home Premium updates for Win10 will no longer be controlled 'by me' and I don't like that at all... the only thing in this system that auto updates are the virus files that Avast maintains.. nothing else. Maybe that will be resolved in the near future... people bitching at M.S.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

@dfoulkes, as far as I can find out(to date), there is no intention on MS's part to change that auto install of updates!
I do know millions have asked for a selection system like previous Windows OS's. Personally, I find it appalling they did that because it has cost me HOURS of time waiting for the damned thing to download(on my fast connection) and then longer to complete the installs.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yep... I might just 'not' update to Win10 ... just for that....
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!