Win10 Offering Icon in Systray

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Oma1942

Re: Win10 Offering Icon in Systray

Post by Oma1942 »

dfoulkes wrote:Yep... I might just 'not' update to Win10 ... just for that....
dfoulkes, same here. Only my AV and MBAM Premium get to update automatically. Microsoft is supposed to give critical/recommended updates of Windows 7 until Jan 14/2020.

I've got only this PC, consider myself an old noob who is not interested in that Microsoft could possibly bork my machine due to updating to Windows 10. Not interested in paying through the nose for a tech if that happens.

If my PC bows out after the 1 year that Microsoft is giving us, I rather purchase a new PC with Win 10 on it.

PS: this is what I found that Microsoft is snooping on us. I've deleted the one I found. http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/ ... _10,1.html
Manhart1

Post by Manhart1 »

Agree with Oma1942 and dfoulkes who states
Oma1942 posted above what is probably the main issue that I have with Win10... so far after reading various, positive articles about it... is that my Home Premium updates for Win10 will no longer be controlled 'by me' and I don't like that at all... the only thing in this system that auto updates are the virus files that Avast maintains.. nothing else. Maybe that will be resolved in the near future... people bitching at M.S.

As a result, I will stay with Windows 7 Home Premium as I believe updates for it do not end until 4/1/19. Perhaps by that time, Microsoft will have come to their senses about who has the right to control the Home Premium updates for Win10 and it certainly should not be controlled by MS but by the user of the product.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Perhaps by that time, Microsoft will have come to their senses about who has the right to control the Home Premium updates for Win10 and it certainly should not be controlled by MS but by the user of the product.

Yes... completely agree...the only problem would be that if they came to their senses it would probably be 'after' the free upgrade and then we'd have to pay... maybe that's their evil thoughts :-"
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

Their faq says "Because you’ve reserved, Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance. Then you’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready to install. That way you can start using Windows 10 immediately – or schedule a time to install that’s convenient for you."

...good enough for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... n_mod2_faq
Manhart1

Post by Manhart1 »

dfoulkes states
Yes... completely agree...the only problem would be that if they came to their senses it would probably be 'after' the free upgrade and then we'd have to pay... maybe that's their evil thought

Isn't that the truth! Not worried as Wins7 is good for updates until 4/1/2019 so I have 4 years to go before I have to worry about it. And then I'll obtain an OEM version of Wins 10 which hopefully will give me the right to control which Home Premium updates I want to install rather than Microsoft having that right. :mrgreen:
Gort

Post by Gort »

Ceptorcetsaurus3! wrote:Isn't that the truth! Not worried as Wins7 is good for updates until 4/1/2019 so I have 4 years to go before I have to worry about it.

According to Microsoft, Windows 7's end of extended support will be on 14th January 2020, so you'll have an extra year.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Don't like Vista and I also don't like Windows 8./8.1
Uninstalled the KB3035583 and the KB2952664 and rebooted.
Made sure to hide both updates and am gonna keep Windows 7 for now.
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on June 6th, 2015, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Gort wrote:According to Microsoft, Windows 7's end of extended support will be on 14th January 2020, so you'll have an extra year.

Who knows what's going to be happening with Windows OS by that time.
And I have an older computer that has Windows XP SP3 and still sometimes use it to access the internet.
And have no problems at all with doing so. :wink:
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

I'd put money on something akin to Android pushing Windows off a cliff by then.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

jefboyardee wrote:something akin to Android

Well, yeah - that would be Linux. :mrgreen:
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

As for as replacing Windows with a different OS for the masses, I think the Linux distros have blown their countless opportunities, leaving a shred of hope for Mint. Android, which yes, is Linux underneath, has the edge because of its layperson's understandability.
morat

Post by morat »

Microsoft has now changed KB3035583 to be recommended, which will have KB3035583 download and install automatically.

LuvKomputrs wrote:Uninstalled the KB3035583 and the KB2952664 and rebooted. Made sure to hide both updates...

I did that and then installed Windows Live Mail, that installer turned on auto update (normally, I have it disabled) and installed KB3035583. Stupid Windows.

Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10
http://www.sevenforums.com/news/366474- ... -10-a.html

Part 2: Microsoft silently preparing your PC for Win 10
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-disc ... -10-a.html

How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-disc ... 7-8-a.html
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

jefboyardee wrote:As for as replacing Windows with a different OS for the masses, I think the Linux distros have blown their countless opportunities, leaving a shred of hope for Mint. Android, which yes, is Linux underneath, has the edge because of its layperson's understandability.

And let's not forget Ubuntu. :wink:
jefboyardee

Post by jefboyardee »

What I can't figure out is how to have W10, W7 and Linux distros all available on boot.

Installing W10 prevents Grub from appearing, no big surprise. I can get it back by telling bios to boot a flash I have installed with Mint on it. But as soon as I do that, no matter which OS I chose, I can't get W10 to launch on the next boot. It shows the silly blue window but the loading circle never appears. So I have to reinstall W10 and avoid calling up Grub, to prevent this from reoccurring.

I hope the real W10 has a way around this.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

@jefboyardee
Have you tried VirtualBox?
https://www.virtualbox.org/
Perhaps that might help you.