Yet another scheme to divide the web

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Omega X

Yet another scheme to divide the web

Post by Omega X »

https://www.ampproject.org/

Google is behind this one. They are taking actual webpages from websites and claiming to cram them down while trying to ensure the ad placement. Similar to this, Facebook has its own thing and Apple has Apple News.

So instead of teaching best practices, they've gone in to try to own the web again.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Yet another scheme to divide the web

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Is there even actually a description of what this even is? All I can find in the FAQ is vague marketing fluff. In some places it just sounds like a bunch of guidelines, in other places an API, in other places a remotely hosted service, and in other places a fork of HTML.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

Omega X wrote:So instead of teaching best practices, they've gone in to try to own the web again.

That seems slightly unfair. This is significantly better for us than e.g. the Facebook walled-garden ecosystem.

patrickjdempsey wrote:Is there even actually a description of what this even is? All I can find in the FAQ is vague marketing fluff. In some places it just sounds like a bunch of guidelines, in other places an API, in other places a remotely hosted service, and in other places a fork of HTML.

A bunch of guidelines coupled with a Google caching service is the main impression I've got.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Frenzie wrote:
Omega X wrote:So instead of teaching best practices, they've gone in to try to own the web again.
That seems slightly unfair. This is significantly better for us than e.g. the Facebook walled-garden ecosystem.
Slightly...maybe. This is Google again declaring what the mobile web should will be. AND since website owners are too lazy to develop something that works, they'll gravitate to this as a blunt solution where none of them will have to lift a finger.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

To be fair, Apple has done this consistently for years and everyone just follows. It doesn't help that there isn't really an "official" solution for what to do about mobile the web, nor are there mechanisms in place to allow servers to deliver device-specific content with accuracy. It's all very hacky and nobody seems interested in coming up with a solution. Of course, we are already in an era where there really isn't such thing as a clear distinction between what is mobile and what isn't... and Apple didn't help that with their cludgy hi-dpi support that means we can't even use screen resolution as a test for device size.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/