Screen resolution changes in Windows 10

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
rochrunner

Screen resolution changes in Windows 10

Post by rochrunner »

Since upgrading my PC to Windows 10, I am having an occasional issue while browsing with Firefox that is non-fatal but very annoying. Usually while scrolling on some page, the following sequence occurs:

1) A short sound is played from the speakers (like the sound you get when some error occurs, etc.).
2) The screen blanks out for an instant.
3) The monitor clicks and then comes back on in a very low-res mode with distorted windows, etc.
4) The sound plays again.
5) The screen blanks out again.
6) A click from the monitor and it's back in its default resolution, but of course my windows and desktop icons are usually moved or resized due to having been in the low-res mode for a second or two.

I originally suspected the graphics driver (AMD Radeon), but I do have the latest version and it doesn't seem like something that the driver would do on its own, especially since I get that tone from the speakers as though some piece of software is trying to do something specific. To be fair, though, this was happening a lot in Chrome, which is why I switched back to Firefox and it's much less frequent but still there.

I'd like to see if I can figure this out before I take the step of reverting to Windows 7. Any other reports like this?
LIMPET235

Re: Screen resolution changes in Windows 10

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I cannot recall if anything similar has been reported.
Sounds like a bad connection or ?
Have you tried cleaning the ports/plugs & re-seating all the cards & cables?
Ask at the WIN 10 fora? > http://www.tenforums.com/

Oh, & this free "Icon Restore" app might help with your desk top shortcuts...
> http://tim-taylor.software.informer.com/

Moving to the Tech. Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
rochrunner

Post by rochrunner »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I cannot recall if anything similar has been reported.
Sounds like a bad connection or ?
Have you tried cleaning the ports/plugs & re-seating all the cards & cables?
Thanks, but I seriously doubt it's hardware-related since it started happening immediately after the Win10 upgrade. I'll see what I can find out while I'm still in the "window period" when I can easily switch back to Win 7.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Mmmm, Seems that WIN 10 creates a bit more than a "few" problems for some people.
The "ten forums" may help.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

The first release of Win Ten has some pretty bad driver bugs. I am using an insider review version that is a fair number of updates down the line from the initial version and while a good number of problems have been sorted there are still things that need ironing out. The video driver issues were so bad on my laptop I went back to Win 8.1
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Seems that screen flickering and spontaneous "refreshing" or re-setting has been a problem with Windows 10 for awhile.

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling hardware acceleration, both default settings, in Firefox and Chrome?

Chrome -- http://www.solveyourtech.com/turn-hardw ... le-chrome/

Firefox -- Tools/Options/Advanced/untick "use hardware acceleration when available"/close & restart Firefox
rochrunner

Post by rochrunner »

Ortho_Fan wrote:Seems that screen flickering and spontaneous "refreshing" or re-setting has been a problem with Windows 10 for awhile.

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling hardware acceleration, both default settings, in Firefox and Chrome?

Chrome -- http://www.solveyourtech.com/turn-hardw ... le-chrome/

Firefox -- Tools/Options/Advanced/untick "use hardware acceleration when available"/close & restart Firefox
Yes, I just did that and so far it seems it has "fixed" the problem. Chrome was especially bad previously and so far I'm back to using it as my default.

In the end, however, I think I'm going to revert to Windows 7 while I still have the option. My PC is loaded with too much technical software for me to be confident in the upgrade at this time. My best bet will probably be to do a scratch install in the future and basically start over with a clean machine.